The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Nov 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #1,606 of 1,799
For bass yes but for overall sound not really. I would say it is more of a side grade at best..The signatures are a bit different on both. Your gonna get more fuller forward mids and a deeper sound on the WS99 with stronger, faster bass emphasis. The A900X has more treble emphasis and a wider stage more traditional AT type sound.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,607 of 1,799
Hi, guys. I'm looking for a pair of over ear headphones to use on the go. Currently it's betweenthe ws99 and mdr 1r mk2, what do you guys recommend?

lol ws99 is not for the go. pretty bad if you use them in a noisy bus or train. Great for listening in quieter environment though. I don't own mdr 1r but i think between those, mdr's would be your best bet for the go. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,608 of 1,799
For those fans of electronic music here and familiar with Obsidia, hear this if you haven't already. It's stuff like this that make you love ws99's even more every time you put them on.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFn4Pv7FH3I

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,609 of 1,799
And there was much sadness.

My WS99s just fell apart today. No roughness, nothing to cause damage, I just adujsted them on my head and the ear cup came off in my hand.

It looks like the whole thing is kept together with a single small screw and I might be able to put it all together again, but I think I'll have to figure out how to separate the earpiece from the swivel since the earcups only tilt 20 degrees or so and don't fully swivel like DJ cans.

Not really happy that a headphone of this price point would just fall apart.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,610 of 1,799
Ouch! No more Daft Punk for you my friend!

That almost happened to me as well. That screw in one cup arm was coming a bit loose (for no apparent reason). I didn't really notice it, but nick n did when he was trying them out and suggested that I might want to tighten it up. It was tricky to do because as you said, the connection arm doesn't swivel far enough to allow much access to the screw, and again, Einstein nick n suggested using something like this which I did:

So if you can find a small bit like the above, and even cut some off of the end to make it even shorter, you probably can get it all back together again.

p.s. make sure you put some cloth or something over the cup surface so that the end of the bit doesn't scratch the cup.

Good luck!

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,611 of 1,799
  For those fans of electronic music here and familiar with Obsidia, hear this if you haven't already. It's stuff like this that make you love ws99's even more every time you put them on.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFn4Pv7FH3I

Thanks for the link! I am listening to the album below. Sounds worthy of purchase!
http://obsidiamusic.bandcamp.com/album/before-the-storm

Does sound awesome with the WS99's! I think the WS99's were made for electronic music like that. Cool.

And if any of you are thinking of on ears, it also sounds rather awesome with the M500's (more sub-bass
basshead.gif
).

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,613 of 1,799
Well, its not like its broken. It just needs to be screwed back together (and then keep an eye on it).

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #1,614 of 1,799
  Ouch! No more Daft Punk for you my friend!

That almost happened to me as well. That screw in one cup arm was coming a bit loose (for no apparent reason). I didn't really notice it, but nick n did when he was trying them out and suggested that I might want to tighten it up. It was tricky to do because as you said, the connection arm doesn't swivel far enough to allow much access to the screw, and again, Einstein nick n suggested using something like this which I did:

So if you can find a small bit like the above, and even cut some off of the end to make it even shorter, you probably can get it all back together again.

p.s. make sure you put some cloth or something over the cup surface so that the end of the bit doesn't scratch the cup.

Good luck!

I took a bit like this and put in on a grinder to make is shorter and thinner. That way it will not scratch the paint off.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,615 of 1,799
Has anybody tried these velour pads on their WS99s? They look pretty close...WS99s are 85mm and these are 90mm...
Same ear opening of 45mm. The Brainwavz pads mentioned earlier in this thread from MP4Nation are not available now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90mm-velour-ear-pads-cushion-earpad-headphone-cover-replacement-headset-9cm-3-6-/171132679917?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27d84d76ed

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,618 of 1,799
Threw on the ws99's (it's been a little while). Nothing wrong with these suckers. Awesome fun head-banging headphones, especially off of the C3/BH combo. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #1,619 of 1,799
Just found what really makes the 99s shine. 

If you have the C&C BH, hook it up to your computer. Have the 99s on out2, gain set to high, and the volume knob turn to about the 2 o'clock position.  Finally, turn the volume of your computer to 75. For others, push them as hard as you can without distortion. If there is a smile on your face at the end, I have done my job. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back