The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Mar 1, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,726 of 1,799
  Hello guys, I have got a pair of ATH-WS99BT. Damn, I did not know they are semiclosed. Now I understand why on the bus that old woman was shaking the head like to say "these wasted young people disturbing all the time".
Anyway, i had to get rid of my Fidelio M2BT, and I needed something with a comparable bass.
Personally I still prefer the bass of the Fidelio. I do not think there is a wired version, but you can use the BT also wired and it performs even better.
The AT have some less body in the bass, and some less depth.
But for the rest they beat the Fidelio, and in some parts of the bass too. So, I am satisfied.

The problem is, as many other people stated, the pads. For me it is not a huge problem, my ears are small. But they still touch the grid.
I have been very disciplined and did a search and read 10 pages of comments.
Can it be that the only solution is this HM5??? THey are not even round. How can they possible perfectly seal?

Are there any alternatives, round ones?
There must be something with all the 53 driver headphones around.

Trust me on this one, my ears were paining so much with the stock pads so I decided to try out the HM5 pads. They are so comfy that i'm never going back to stock pads again! 

The HM5 pads are oval and big, so they will fit completely around your ear. And they've got some padding as well, so your ears won't touch the drivers. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #1,728 of 1,799

Trust me on this one, my ears were paining so much with the stock pads so I decided to try out the HM5 pads. They are so comfy that i'm never going back to stock pads again! 

The HM5 pads are oval and big, so they will fit completely around your ear. And they've got some padding as well, so your ears won't touch the drivers. 

But, how can they seal completely on the back, with the plastic of the drivers, if they are not round? I would not like even more sound leakage.

Maybe you could try adding cotton wool at the back of the pads to make the driver tilted away from your ears.

I had read that too, in my search in this thread, but somebody said it does not work well with this headphones (it was somebody with a viking avatar).

I am investigating on Sennheiser. I suspect that the Urbanite Xl are more or less same size. I wrote to Sennheiser to ask which of their Earpads could work.
Beyerdynamic told me that all their headphones are too big compared to these. Even if a guy in another thread used the earpads for a DT250 (also oval. He says they do not seal perfectly on the back but he does not care).

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #1,729 of 1,799
Hello all, 

I wanted to ask a question regarding AMPS for the WS99. Trust me, I have looked through this forums multiple times and spent hours literally just reading this thread.

So yes, the general consensus seems to be get the C&C BH for these headphones as they open up the sound stage and improve treble. But here is my issue, I have found a couple of places online of people complaining regarding the SUB bass of these headphones...... And I will definitely take improved sub bass over improved treble.

Which leads me to the Fiio E12. People are saying that THIS amp improves the sub bass. Which seems to be what I want, but I cannot get over the fact that more people seem to prefer the BH...

Can I get more input? Does anyone have an amp that noticeably improves the sub bass? (Or just any AMP that pairs really well with the WS99)  

(Ps dont bother with recommending the e11, everyone says the e12 out shines it for the WS99, and that the CmmoyBB out performs it on all other devices for the same price)

Thanks for the input. Any advice would be appreciated - Im even considering just spending $30 on the cheap e6, so I am not above any advice haha...

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,730 of 1,799
Hello guys, some news:
Beyerdynamic says all their pads are at least 100mm diameter. Too big.
As said a guy in another thread used the DT250, which only seal on the shorter side.
A question to those who use the HM5: do the seal (the sleeve on the back) all around? Or only on the short side?

Sennheiser said the pads of the Urbanite XL are 90mm diameter. To big I think.
Akg die not answer.
I wrote to dozens and dozens of sellers in ebay and amazon. NOBODY has got something with 80mm diameter and more than 20mm thickness, apart for this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Long-Life-Leatherette-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00OM21W1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425570644&sr=8-1&keywords=B00OM21W1I
The thickness there is 23mm. It is not much more. But maybe for some people it will be enough.
But have a look at the back side of the pads. There is this plastic thing. Do you think it will be a problem? I think not so.

I have written to many shops, also this famous B&H. Most have no wish to get out of their f...ing seat and take the round earpads and quickly see which have 80mm diameter and which more than 20mm thickness. I think that to do that they would lose 5 min, less than to answer my three emails.
Damn lazy employes.
The problem is, they have no idea about dimensions. They only have a list of model of earpads organized for model of compatible headphone.

This suck.
I am ******* in love with the sound of these headphones.
But I do not like the idea of oval pads like the HM5.
SGRUNT!

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,732 of 1,799
  Hello guys, some news:
Beyerdynamic says all their pads are at least 100mm diameter. Too big.
As said a guy in another thread used the DT250, which only seal on the shorter side.
A question to those who use the HM5: do the seal (the sleeve on the back) all around? Or only on the short side?

Sennheiser said the pads of the Urbanite XL are 90mm diameter. To big I think.
Akg die not answer.
I wrote to dozens and dozens of sellers in ebay and amazon. NOBODY has got something with 80mm diameter and more than 20mm thickness, apart for this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Long-Life-Leatherette-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00OM21W1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425570644&sr=8-1&keywords=B00OM21W1I
The thickness there is 23mm. It is not much more. But maybe for some people it will be enough.
But have a look at the back side of the pads. There is this plastic thing. Do you think it will be a problem? I think not so.

I have written to many shops, also this famous B&H. Most have no wish to get out of their f...ing seat and take the round earpads and quickly see which have 80mm diameter and which more than 20mm thickness. I think that to do that they would lose 5 min, less than to answer my three emails.
Damn lazy employes.
The problem is, they have no idea about dimensions. They only have a list of model of earpads organized for model of compatible headphone.

This suck.
I am ******* in love with the sound of these headphones.
But I do not like the idea of oval pads like the HM5.
SGRUNT!

I just held my 99's up to a pair of Kicker Kush.  The pads are Kush ey and will fit perfectly.  You may want to keep the Kickers in tact though once you get them.  Thier 54 mm drivers are also bass heavy.  You should just get the JVC sz2000's and alpha dog pads.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,733 of 1,799

I just held my 99's up to a pair of Kicker Kush.  The pads are Kush ey and will fit perfectly.  You may want to keep the Kickers in tact though once you get them.  Thier 54 mm drivers are also bass heavy.  You should just get the JVC sz2000's and alpha dog pads.

Wait wait wait, not so fast, I am searching since weeks as a desperate, and nobody could ofer me anything because they do not know (nor want to find out by measuring) the dimensions of the earpads they sell.
So I need precise models of headphones/earpads to order the earpads.
Can you please tell me exactly the model of those three headphones? Ok, the JVC, found. But the Kush, which model? And the alfa dogs?

Hey, thanks, if you find me these pads you make a huge thing because, believe me, I love the sound of these so much!
I just cannot wear them long due to the pads.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,734 of 1,799
Kicker Kush are the headphones with 54 mm drivers and cushy pads you are seeking.  Alpha dog pads fit the sz2000s and are availiable from Mr. Speakers.  I checked the Kicker site and I could not find just the pads for sale.  Used may be the way to go.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,735 of 1,799
  Kicker Kush are the headphones with 54 mm drivers and cushy pads you are seeking.  Alpha dog pads fit the sz2000s and are availiable from Mr. Speakers.  I checked the Kicker site and I could not find just the pads for sale.  Used may be the way to go.

Ah, so you were suggesting me the JVC as headphone, and you meant the Alpha Dog not for the ATH, but for the JVC?
I had understood that I should use the JVC pads and Alpha Dog pads for the ATH.

Well, I am not looking for a wired headphone.
For now I am still devoted to BT.
The Day there will be a really really small Aptx BT receiver, and that I find an headphone which can blown my head away way way way way more than the ATH, I can think about using it with the receiver, wirelessly. But I cannot have cables anymore. No way.

I will look for that Kicker pads! Thanks a lot.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,736 of 1,799
Hello all,

Seriously thinking about getting the WS99s for home use.  Listen mostly to electronica and classic rock.  Would these still be about the best choice for a basshead with audiophile tendencies or has something else come along that's better (under $200)?

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,737 of 1,799
  Hello all,

Seriously thinking about getting the WS99s for home use.  Listen mostly to electronica and classic rock.  Would these still be about the best choice for a basshead with audiophile tendencies or has something else come along that's better (under $200)?

You should ask in the basshead club or, depending on your level of bassiness, on the extreme bass club.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,738 of 1,799
SO guys, @nappiguan was right, the Kicker Cush pads seem to have right dimensions.
I cannot order them from EU. I have to find someone in the US who receives them and forwards to them.
I will ask some people.

Did anybody in the while find any other alternative pads?
Can somebody also describe more the difference in the sound after placing the HM5 pads?

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,739 of 1,799
I'm looking at replacing the stock ear pads on my ATH-WS99, maybe something a little thicker and firmer?

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,740 of 1,799
Just bought the ATH-WS99 headphone and I need a low cost storage case for them, any ideas?
Also would want to get firmer ear pads for them, any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back