The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
Mar 14, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,652 of 1,799

What amp would you recommend for the WS99?

The clarity is great with my Kindle HDX, but they seem to lack energy. This is compared to my old MG7's. To test, I also tried the ws99's with and iPod 4g and was amazed at how much richer they sound across the whole spectrum. Perhaps not as clean as with the HDX, but miles ahead in bass impact and fullness. They sound anaemic in comparison to my HDX.

I figure an amp could sort this out as I want to use my HDX as my primary source. Which amp pairs best with these headphones?

C&C BH. I can not speak for any other portable amp, but this and the WS-99 is a match made in Heaven. 
http://www.amazon.com/BH2-Portable-Headphone-battery-Version/dp/B00A2QJSBO

Seconded. The only other amps I've used with the WS99 are the FiiO E12v1 and the Ifi iCAN, but the C&C BH definitely made the WS99 sing like no other.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,653 of 1,799
Seconded. The only other amps I've used with the WS99 are the FiiO E12v1 and the Ifi iCAN, but the C&C BH definitely made the WS99 sing like no other.

Well, I splurged and bought the C&C. The only problem is my source (Kindle HDX)doesn't have a dedicated line out or LOD, so I will be 'double amping'. I've rear that the DSP and DAC in the HDXis decent, but its amp doesn't have much power. To my ears it sounded cleaner than an iPod 3G that I have laying around, but it just didn't go as loud/rich.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,654 of 1,799
Well, I splurged and bought the C&C. The only problem is my source (Kindle HDX)doesn't have a dedicated line out or LOD, so I will be 'double amping'. I've rear that the DSP and DAC in the HDXis decent, but its amp doesn't have much power. To my ears it sounded cleaner than an iPod 3G that I have laying around, but it just didn't go as loud/rich.

I have not bought a line out cable for my ipod and it sounds amazing. Just set the eq to off and turn on the LF on the C&C. Two other things to note, it is the same size as my ipod nano 3rd generation, and the battery lasts a VERY long time. You will be happy with this amp. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,655 of 1,799
How do these compare to the V-Moda M-100?  Sorry if this has already been addressed but I can't seem to find it.  I'm looking to get one or the other for rap and rock and to complement my ATH-M50s.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,656 of 1,799
I don't own the M-100's but I've read that their midrange is recessed in comparison. They also aren't as transparent and keen on micro details, their bass sounds looser and a bit less defined than the ws99, but they do have more bass quantity.

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,657 of 1,799
Don't know how accurate this is..But Amazon is showing the WS-99 as being available but being a DISCONTINUED Model by the manufacturer. Audio-Technica still lists it as a current model...I suspect though it might actually be becoming discontinued (already)..
Too bad if it is already becoming discontinued as it's an excellent sounding set of cans not counting the poorly designed headband swivel joints...

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS99-Headphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B009FRPN2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396383549&sr=1-1&keywords=ws-99

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/bab8ffb411afa747/index.html

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,658 of 1,799
Idk how the swivel joints get messed up. Maybe i just dont use mine often enough.

Anyway, it may be being discontinued in favor of the recent WS__x series?

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,660 of 1,799
  How do these compare to the V-Moda M-100?  Sorry if this has already been addressed but I can't seem to find it.  I'm looking to get one or the other for rap and rock and to complement my ATH-M50s.

Darker sound, mids are more nuanced(probably my favorite thing about them), sparkly treble, less midbass but the sub bass is "solid"(sorry, couldn't resist). Also, stage is more intimate. You probably won't find them as engaging for Rap/Rock music, I think the M-100 is a better contender for those genres as the bass is well emphasized when it needs to be and the highs are rolled off enough just to be comfortable when listening to harsh, poorly mastered rock albums. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,661 of 1,799
Enjoying these with my BH2 amp that finally arrived. They've really come alive; hard-hitting, skull-rattling bass with LF on, improved soundstage, improved coherence. They've been vivified. If not for this amp, I would be somewhat disappointed. It sounds like they were made for each other.

I use LF for rap/EDM, otherwise I leave it off. Haven't really noticed a change with the SF switch so I just leave it off. I've found the best combo to be GC High with Out 1. Opinions? BTW, my source is a Kindle Fire HDX.

In summary, if you're not completely satisfied with these, buy a C&C BH2 amp to pair it with. Definite, significant improvement in SQ.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,664 of 1,799
Just a heads up, these are $99 refurbed on Amazon right now. I just picked up a pair, been wanting these for a long time!

May 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,665 of 1,799
Damn this thread made me purchase the ws99 right away. Damn you head-fi ​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back