The Worn Out Head-Fi'er
Jun 19, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #16 of 47
I'd also recommend selling off what you don't use that often or aren't completely in love with.

Listing gear is hard, but it's easier when you see someone happy they bought it. Knowing that someone uses and appreciates it makes it easier after you drop off the box at the post office. I just shipped off a few cans I never thought I'd sell, but am not feeling bad.

This time around, I consolidated into a HD-800. Later this year, I'll probably sell off a few more pairs and some DIY amps to consolidate that into a respectable electrostatic setup as well as finish up the speaker rig.

Instead, get into the music. Pick a new genre and jump in. Get a turntable and explore used vinyl. Go to some meets if you can - meeting people is better than listening to the gear. There's a lot of fun to be had here without buying stuff. Of course, a new HF-2 wouldn't hurt any.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #19 of 47
Everyone has gear lust, regrets, piles of unused gear we don't want to part with. Sometimes we have spates where we wonder what the hell we were thinking. I've dumped the 'hobby' a few times where I pause for some extended period and just enjoy the music and not even think of gear. Only to come back and reenter the cycle, but wiser and more focused on what I really want rather than getting everything I can lay my hands on. As time goes by we tend to gravitate to certain things that feel right as opposed to what is maybe technically superior or more audiophile rated or what things cost.

I have some very nice phones, lots of them in fact. My default phones are $70 and are the cheapest phones I own next to the koss clipons.

It's very easy to get drawn into the madness, especially if you don't have a distinct sound to go for and disillusion is only a few steps behind. It's very easy to hit sensory overload and gear saturation with little in the way of ultimate satisfaction.

Taking a break is a good way of realigning your priorities so that even if you do come back to it, you come back with better focus and less gear mania. In my case, I read very little in the way of phones etc as I now have a good handle on what I really like and can tune them. Amps, I'm going completely DIY (with help from others) and so-on. I still have the lust but it's now aimed in a completely different direction than back in 2004.

It's more satisfying and I can now enjoy what I have with a lot more ease than before. I don't do lots of swapping, comparing and getting all anal about stuff. It either sounds fantastic or it doesn't. Very simple. If it's not great in some way, it collects dust.

Hopefully you now have your head on straight and know what you want instead of the scattershot methods of old.

Good luck bro.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #20 of 47
This thread is such a good read! I go through these ridiculous cycles of buying a lot of random stuff, then selling it all later ~ and often re-buying. Sometimes it feels like I do it out of habituation; I guess it's better than a drug habit
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously though, I do enjoy the chase but I've seen firsthand how it gets ugly fast.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #21 of 47
I realized that in the attempt to attain Audio Nirvana, I've come to realize the ugly truth about it. Its NEVER attainable. Why do I say so?

Say before entering head-fi, you're like any average joe who uses them Apple White Ear Buds, lets call it AWEB for short. Yeah, its cool, its white, its chic and when you stroll down that street in town, people know that you're that cool dude/babe who owns an iPod.

One day, you see a geek (sorry, I personally feel that breeds like us who like cans/earphones tend to be a little geeky) coming up to you with this weird looking earphone that looks like a hearing aid and out of curiousity, you give them a listen and got blown away.

Now, this is step one to being "head-fi ded"...So you think to yourself, hey, it won't hurt spending a little money improving the sound quality huh? <----This is where most people get infected and start out this little audio hobby of theirs.

As to how far one progresses depends on their monetary prowess and how hard they've been hit by the bug.

Ok, enough of deviation, but what I want to highlight and point out is that, more often than not, its the newer kids who seem to enjoy this hobby more extensively than the more seasoned members. The improvement in audio quality that they get and the difference that they hear are remarkable since its always a huge upgrade when one ditches that AWEB...

If you jump from an AWEB to say a HD650, the differences are bound to be HUGE! However, when you're jumping from the HD650s to say the K701's or any other headphone of equivelent level, nuances are still there but we're no longer talking about the difference in quality of the music. Its about the difference in sound signature. We're not getting clearer bass, midrange, treble but we're getting DIFFERENT bass, midrange, treble, and so on.

This is where the hobby gets interesting and if money permits, we tend to spend it on cans/equipments to hear the differences and decide which are the ones that suits our tastes.

However, as you progress further and start hearing more expensive systems and high end speaker setups, you realise that hey, its not that much of a big deal afterall ain't it? I guess I've passed that stage already and I'm no longer wowed. I've heard the HE60's the Stax omega 2's, been through the 5 digit CD players and honestly speaking, they're really nice sounds and produce nectar like music but I just can't bring myself to be ovewhelmed or shellshocked.

I can never get that wow factor that I did 4 years ago when i donned on my E5c's or tried the AD2000's at my local headphone store...

How should I say it...Its like having sex for the first time. You know...you get excited and edgy about it and erm you.........(lets not get into details...). But say when you've had sex for the 10th time, still you may find it exciting and stuff like that because you get to try out new stuff and all that. So let me ask you, how will you find sex when you're doing it the 10000th time? Sure, it still feels great but no longer will you feel the kind of satisfaction that you've gotten out of it the first time, am I right to say that?

Anyway, sorry for such a crude example but that just came to my mind....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is such a good read! I go through these ridiculous cycles of buying a lot of random stuff, then selling it all later ~ and often re-buying. Sometimes it feels like I do it out of habituation; I guess it's better than a drug habit
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously though, I do enjoy the chase but I've seen firsthand how it gets ugly fast.

The only way to truely enjoy it is to take a break. Say you've got the best system in the world and its breathtaking to listen to. But you listen to it day and night for years to come. Will it be so much of great listening experience after you get used to the sound? Sure, it'll sound good no doubt, but we will get used to it. Audio Nirvana isn't something that we can attain by getting the best system in the world, its only attainable if we can constantly seek out changes and differences in various systems and have new/different sounds that we've never heard before to enjoy.

Which is the reason why I don't often bother listening during meets.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone has gear lust, regrets, piles of unused gear we don't want to part with. Sometimes we have spates where we wonder what the hell we were thinking. I've dumped the 'hobby' a few times where I pause for some extended period and just enjoy the music and not even think of gear. Only to come back and reenter the cycle, but wiser and more focused on what I really want rather than getting everything I can lay my hands on. As time goes by we tend to gravitate to certain things that feel right as opposed to what is maybe technically superior or more audiophile rated or what things cost.

I have some very nice phones, lots of them in fact. My default phones are $70 and are the cheapest phones I own next to the koss clipons.

It's very easy to get drawn into the madness, especially if you don't have a distinct sound to go for and disillusion is only a few steps behind. It's very easy to hit sensory overload and gear saturation with little in the way of ultimate satisfaction.

Taking a break is a good way of realigning your priorities so that even if you do come back to it, you come back with better focus and less gear mania.
In my case, I read very little in the way of phones etc as I now have a good handle on what I really like and can tune them. Amps, I'm going completely DIY (with help from others) and so-on. I still have the lust but it's now aimed in a completely different direction than back in 2004.

It's more satisfying and I can now enjoy what I have with a lot more ease than before. I don't do lots of swapping, comparing and getting all anal about stuff. It either sounds fantastic or it doesn't. Very simple. If it's not great in some way, it collects dust.

Hopefully you now have your head on straight and know what you want instead of the scattershot methods of old.

Good luck bro.

I can't agree more to that statement!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't bear to sell them off....

What about giving them away? :O

Sure, you'll have to take a 5 years trip down to MARS to collect it from me.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also recommend selling off what you don't use that often or aren't completely in love with.

Listing gear is hard, but it's easier when you see someone happy they bought it. Knowing that someone uses and appreciates it makes it easier after you drop off the box at the post office. I just shipped off a few cans I never thought I'd sell, but am not feeling bad.

This time around, I consolidated into a HD-800. Later this year, I'll probably sell off a few more pairs and some DIY amps to consolidate that into a respectable electrostatic setup as well as finish up the speaker rig.

Instead, get into the music. Pick a new genre and jump in. Get a turntable and explore used vinyl. Go to some meets if you can - meeting people is better than listening to the gear. There's a lot of fun to be had here without buying stuff. [size=large]Of course, a new HF-2 wouldn't hurt any[/size].
evil_smiley.gif

The force is strong, but I can resist!
evil_smiley.gif
I mean, I think i can resist.....
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the way you feel. I've had it a few times and I've taken several breaks from the hobby. Now I'm back into it in high gear and investing my time and effort into another end of it, organizing meets and spending time with the people who also enjoy the hobby.

For me, this hobby has always been more about the learning, searching, helping, chatting, buying, analyzing of gear, etc. than it has about actually sitting down and listening to music. I know once my system reaches that utterly magical level that I will spend more time listening and less time consumed by the desire to pursue that magical level. Plus, I'm always fussing with these damned things on my head anyway.
tongue.gif

Now, to get yourself interested in the hobby once again I suggest you get yourself to a meet and listen to the HD800 on a very good system. If you're in the [size=large]southern california area[/size], you are welcome to come to the meet on July 11th (see meet forum). There will be more than enough high-end gear there to get you reacquainted with that old friend.

And where will that be? When I'm back in Cali, I stay around Diamond Bar area....But I don't think it'll be anytime soon....

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #25 of 47
Alright, I wasn't reading, just saw the meet forum...my bad.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?

I think the point that the OP was trying to make was that you will *never* reach that "utterly magical level". One of the problems is that there's not even a way to judge when you have reached that point. You get an HD650 or RS1, the next month, they'll release a HD800 and PS1000 that will supersede the previous generation.

Honestly, the only point when you will "spend more time listening and less time consumed by the desire to pursue that magical level" is not when you achieve it, but when you realize that it is an unachievable insanity.

You forgot to mention: Its also when you realize you've been hit by the recession and your wallet has run dry....
eek.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ipodpj, since the op had mandatory conscription into military service, it's doubtful he's living in the US.

See my location....
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Taking a break is a good way of realigning your priorities so that even if you do come back to it, you come back with better focus and less gear mania. In my case, I read very little in the way of phones etc as I now have a good handle on what I really like and can tune them. Amps, I'm going completely DIY (with help from others) and so-on. I still have the lust but it's now aimed in a completely different direction than back in 2004.

Good luck bro.

I have to agree with smeggy here. especially the bold parts. i think about it a lot, are we listening to these high quality headphones because we want to hear what it is like to have HQ sound played to our ears or just for the sake of the HQ sound, or are we really enjoying the music that the musicians actually composed. I totally agree with the AWEB example as well.But is it really impossible for us to enjoy good music with these earbuds that actually can play music that we like but maybe of a lower quality

just my 2cents (no offence to anyone here)

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #29 of 47
Sure, why not. I'm listening to music on the Radio everyday, the stock stereo in my E-class and cheap logitec speakers at work. And I'm enjoying music and loving it. I realise without all the equipment chase (oh, and not visiting head-fi helps as well), I can finally enjoy music for what it really is. The only time I get to use higher end equipment is when I'm out at the gym with my E5c's since its the ONLY portable earbud I have or when I'm at home playing Warcraft/CS/watching **** (<---lol, just joking) using my MC15's. The moaning and groaning....I mean the sounds from my desert eagle is really erm...realistic....Like the punchy mid bass....

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #30 of 47
well if you are in Korea and want to help out a new Headfi-er.... I am in Seoul and looking for some cans. I am currently w/o and headphones and need some for my work. Let me know if you have anything you are looking to unload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back