The Worn Out Head-Fi'er
Jun 19, 2009 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

razer

500+ Head-Fier
I vividly remembered back then in the summer of 2005, I fell in love with this Headphone affair. Excited and monetarily depreived, I had to say it was the most exciting stage of getting into this hobby. However oxymoronic it may sound; but trying to save up by all means and finally being able to get that CAN you've always been eyeing for was beyond materialistic elation. It wasn't exactly aural bliss as well but more of a sense of pride and acheivement. Sad to say, I had more fun "searching-deciding-saving-buying-waiting" than I had listening.
triportsad.gif

The internet, or should I say: Heafi, was a haven like place to hang out after school and I'd spend hours reading up on the latest reviews, appreciation threads and the occasional flame baits.
biggrin.gif
Back then, things were fun! I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was describing the 50s or 60s but hey, BACK THEN (and I mean 4 years ago) it really WAS FUN! Those were the days the HD650's reigned supreme and Japanese headphones were relatively less well received. The Grado RS-1 was a big hit as well so were the Shure E5c's and Ety 4SPABC???(whatever the name is....
ksc75smile.gif
).

Wham! And soon enough, I got myself a pair'o HD650's. My gawd, were they some helluva sexy pair of cans! Covered in smooth metallic gun-metal-grey that arrived in a beatiful foam padded box, I was squirming with excitement! However, something was wrong I thought to myself. They didn't sound anything they've described on head-fi. The soundscape was veiled and muddy!!

It was only after some headfi'ing and googling that I came across this little equipment of marvel known as the headphone amp. It was then that I realized what i was missing out! So then, I thought to myself: Hey, I had to get one of these! Every headfier's got one and I haven't, I'm definitly missing out on something!

Scrummaging through my closet and that miserable bank account of mine, I came up with enough $$ for a humble PA2V2. (have you guys forgotten about this little black plastic amp?) Within a week, a small brown package arrived at my doorstep from Canada and it wasn't long before I was sitting there tapping my toes, rocking to the music out of this little amp! There WAS an improvement to what I was hearing and that, was money well spent!
|
|
|

Anyway, this headphone obsession of mine started out something like that (and no, I wouldn't want to waste time describing all the details...and I doubt any of you will want to listen to that crap anyway...) and soon I was spending through the roof every month buying and selling equipments. Never had I imagined myself ending up with a pair of L3000's or purchasing the ridiculously expensive desktop multimedia speakers, the "MC15's" with an initial budget of only $300.
biggrin.gif
Headfi-ism evolved from the search of better sound to soely buying equipments in bid to satisfy that insatiable hunger in me. I just had to BUY BUY BUY and got happier each time I filled that closet of mine with another box from AKG/Sennheiser/Grado/etc.......Things were starting to go awry....

Yet, coincidental it may sound, the mandatory conscription into military service came and soon enough, I was ferried off for my basic military training in an outlying island. That jolly well kept me away from this head-fi madness! Two years of camouflage-green-rifles-grenades passed and I was back into the civilian world. It was then that I realized how the two years have smelted my passion and interest in Audio. I no longer felt like a kid in a Candy store when I accompanied my friends down to our Local Headphone Shop nor was I yearning for the weekly Friday meets anymore.

I felt empty and wasted, and each time I looked at the stacks of boxes of unused and unlistened headphones, a stranged sense of regret and anger erupted within me. "Angry" for not being able to retain the passion and love; "Regret" for spending that ridiculous amout of money that could have been of better use to me...

And so the idea of selling my stash has popped up in my head yet each time I decided to post a FS thread on head-fi, I will unknowingly end up with my pinkie on the Backspace button. So I began to wonder, just what exactly is it that's holding me back from selling them? Is it because deep down inside me, there is that last sliver of hope? That last bit of enthusiasm? Or might it be a form of emotional attachment since every headphone that I laid my hands upon had an interesting story to it? Its annoying that I myself am not able to decipher such mixed feelings and be decisive enough to do the right thing.

As I'm typing this message, I'm feeling tired and worn out; sick of this headphone obsession but then again unwilling to let go. Ironically, it is also during this time that I've spent alot listening to music and trying out new releases....How perplexing!
frown.gif

The Worn Out Head-Fi'er
Razer.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 47
Sounds like youve already caught the bug again, and youre showing the first symptoms
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you start enjoying the music again!

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like youve already caught the bug again, and youre showing the first symptoms
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you start enjoying the music again!

Seriously, I don't know. Its been a while since I came onto headfi and I've received a couple of interest checks for some of the cans I've had....Anyway, Head-fi is a dangerous place to hang out for folks who do not have money management skills.....
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet you will be ordering a pair of HF2's before the end of the week. ( If you haven't already !!!! ), There is no escaping Head-fi....
evil_smiley.gif

That's really mean of you! And I was clicking around on TTVJ ( I seriously don't know how I ended up there.....) and checking the price for the HF-2......
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 47
Pick up one headphone you know you love, forget the rest, and listen to your music again. Maybe the time off taught you what's really important.

I love the hobby and the excitement and interest of new gear, but if I had to sell off all of it except one home and one portable (yes, I can't quite let go of all), it would be a bit painful, but I'd still be happy listening to music like I am right now.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 47
Oh, and damn, I just lost my dual flange tips for my E5c's........That means gym session without music... T_T

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 47
I guess the E5C's and HD-650s would have to stay.....They mean alot to me even though they may not be the best sounding in my stash....

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 47
I understand the way you feel. I've had it a few times and I've taken several breaks from the hobby. Now I'm back into it in high gear and investing my time and effort into another end of it, organizing meets and spending time with the people who also enjoy the hobby.

For me, this hobby has always been more about the learning, searching, helping, chatting, buying, analyzing of gear, etc. than it has about actually sitting down and listening to music. I know once my system reaches that utterly magical level that I will spend more time listening and less time consumed by the desire to pursue that magical level. Plus, I'm always fussing with these damned things on my head anyway.
tongue.gif

Now, to get yourself interested in the hobby once again I suggest you get yourself to a meet and listen to the HD800 on a very good system. If you're in the southern california area, you are welcome to come to the meet on July 11th (see meet forum). There will be more than enough high-end gear there to get you reacquainted with that old friend.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know once my system reaches that utterly magical level that I will spend more time listening and less time consumed by the desire to pursue that magical level.

Really?

I think the point that the OP was trying to make was that you will *never* reach that "utterly magical level". One of the problems is that there's not even a way to judge when you have reached that point. You get an HD650 or RS1, the next month, they'll release a HD800 and PS1000 that will supersede the previous generation.

Honestly, the only point when you will "spend more time listening and less time consumed by the desire to pursue that magical level" is not when you achieve it, but when you realize that it is an unachievable insanity.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vividly remembered back then in the summer of 2005, I fell in love with this Headphone affair. Excited and monetarily depreived, I had to say it was the most exciting stage of getting into this hobby. However oxymoronic it may sound; but trying to save up by all means and finally being able to get that CAN you've always been eyeing for was beyond materialistic elation. It wasn't exactly aural bliss as well but more of a sense of pride and acheivement. Sad to say, I had more fun "searching-deciding-saving-buying-waiting" than I had listening.
triportsad.gif

The internet, or should I say: Heafi, was a haven like place to hang out after school and I'd spend hours reading up on the latest reviews, appreciation threads and the occasional flame baits.
biggrin.gif
Back then, things were fun! I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was describing the 50s or 60s but hey, BACK THEN (and I mean 4 years ago) it really WAS FUN! Those were the days the HD650's reigned supreme and Japanese headphones were relatively less well received. The Grado RS-1 was a big hit as well so were the Shure E5c's and Ety 4SPABC???(whatever the name is....
ksc75smile.gif
).

Wham! And soon enough, I got myself a pair'o HD650's. My gawd, were they some helluva sexy pair of cans! Covered in smooth metallic gun-metal-grey that arrived in a beatiful foam padded box, I was squirming with excitement! However, something was wrong I thought to myself. They didn't sound anything they've described on head-fi. The soundscape was veiled and muddy!!

It was only after some headfi'ing and googling that I came across this little equipment of marvel known as the headphone amp. It was then that I realized what i was missing out! So then, I thought to myself: Hey, I had to get one of these! Every headfier's got one and I haven't, I'm definitly missing out on something!

Scrummaging through my closet and that miserable bank account of mine, I came up with enough $$ for a humble PA2V2. (have you guys forgotten about this little black plastic amp?) Within a week, a small brown package arrived at my doorstep from Canada and it wasn't long before I was sitting there tapping my toes, rocking to the music out of this little amp! There WAS an improvement to what I was hearing and that, was money well spent!
|
|
|

Anyway, this headphone obsession of mine started out something like that (and no, I wouldn't want to waste time describing all the details...and I doubt any of you will want to listen to that crap anyway...) and soon I was spending through the roof every month buying and selling equipments. Never had I imagined myself ending up with a pair of L3000's or purchasing the ridiculously expensive desktop multimedia speakers, the "MC15's" with an initial budget of only $300.
biggrin.gif
Headfi-ism evolved from the search of better sound to soely buying equipments in bid to satisfy that insatiable hunger in me. I just had to BUY BUY BUY and got happier each time I filled that closet of mine with another box from AKG/Sennheiser/Grado/etc.......Things were starting to go awry....

Yet, coincidental it may sound, the mandatory conscription into military service came and soon enough, I was ferried off for my basic military training in an outlying island. That jolly well kept me away from this head-fi madness! Two years of camouflage-green-rifles-grenades passed and I was back into the civilian world. It was then that I realized how the two years have smelted my passion and interest in Audio. I no longer felt like a kid in a Candy store when I accompanied my friends down to our Local Headphone Shop nor was I yearning for the weekly Friday meets anymore.

I felt empty and wasted, and each time I looked at the stacks of boxes of unused and unlistened headphones, a stranged sense of regret and anger erupted within me. "Angry" for not being able to retain the passion and love; "Regret" for spending that ridiculous amout of money that could have been of better use to me...

And so the idea of selling my stash has popped up in my head yet each time I decided to post a FS thread on head-fi, I will unknowingly end up with my pinkie on the Backspace button. So I began to wonder, just what exactly is it that's holding me back from selling them? Is it because deep down inside me, there is that last sliver of hope? That last bit of enthusiasm? Or might it be a form of emotional attachment since every headphone that I laid my hands upon had an interesting story to it? Its annoying that I myself am not able to decipher such mixed feelings and be decisive enough to do the right thing.

As I'm typing this message, I'm feeling tired and worn out; sick of this headphone obsession but then again unwilling to let go. Ironically, it is also during this time that I've spent alot listening to music and trying out new releases....How perplexing!
frown.gif

The Worn Out Head-Fi'er
Razer.

Excellent post and I can totally relate. We joined around around the same time and I have gone through the same thing. I strayed from headfi and found avs forums which ended up being very rewarding for me as I am pretty content with my HT and have just been spending time enjoying bd content. The nice thing about HT is being able to entertain and share movies with the wife, friends, family, etc.

I'm bck at headfi and looking to get some new cans to hear something different for a while. You will never be rid of this place... eventually curiosity will drwan you back in like an audio tractor beam
deadhorse.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 47
Denial! Denial!

But seriously, go through all your old equipment, find out which ones really still give you that good old time feeling, and sell the rest. It should satisfy that little craving left while regrowing the wallet funds.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?

I think the point that the OP was trying to make was that you will *never* reach that "utterly magical level". One of the problems is that there's not even a way to judge when you have reached that point. You get an HD650 or RS1, the next month, they'll release a HD800 and PS1000 that will supersede the previous generation.

Honestly, the only point when you will "spend more time listening and less time consumed by the desire to pursue that magical level" is not when you achieve it, but when you realize that it is an unachievable insanity.

That's why I referred to it as the "magical" level.
wink.gif
I do think it's achievable to my ears, but it is one of those things that may only come with the wave of a magic wand. A better way to phrase it would be to say an utterly "natural" level, which is all I'm really longing for. The HD800 can do it better than any headphone I've listened to (although the R10 would be another keeper for me). Hopefully at the meet I can mix and match equipment and get closer than ever to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back