The Woo WA6SE and beta22/sigma22 amps face off. (Review Posted)
Apr 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #18 of 67
subscribed.....
gs1000.gif

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 67
Quote:Originally Posted by jp11801 

"I've heard both and they are very good  but not top of the heap by a large margin. You can put all the part you want into a a beta or a Woo 6Se but you'll still get a second place finish"

I'm not sure that's the entire point. I'm comparing two different yet similar excellent amps. Neither one is hardly a failure. Please wait until I post my review before you make critiques. Thank you.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 67
Quote:Originally Posted by c12mech 

"No rush.
I hope that you post the mods to the β22.  I've decided that's my next big amp and is why I'm very interested in what you have to say about it."

I think this is most of it:

Service Performed

-Designed custom face plates from FPE, mounted new handles and chassis lids from Par-Metal, and spiked feet from PartsExpress.
-All new stainless steel fasteners and aluminum stand offs, including lock washers, for PCB mounts, IEC power entry, and Amphenol chassis mount connector; all other screw-type connectors, including on-board Phoenix and PS umbilical re-tightened.

B22
-New TKD pot, TRS jack, Cardas RCAs, and face plate LEDs.
-Installed e12 board and moved/remounted e22.
-Remounted all MOSFETs with lock washers.
-New input wiring from RCAs to board inputs; used existing wire from outputs of the boards to e22 and retagged with solder at the Molex pins; new wire from e22 to e12 and TRS jack. 
-Zobel network installed on e22.
-Replaced all electrolytics on the B22 boards.
-Replaced Q3+Q7
-Biased quiescent current on all 3 channels to 120-125mA, with lid on, at 68F ambient temp, and over a period of 6hrs.  DC offset set to 0.4-0.7mV on all 3 channels, and 0.5mV on e12.

o22
-Measured at 29V.
-Installed new Bulgin latching switch with appropriate higher rated/speced relay.
-Installed new AC mains wiring from IEC power entry to switch and relay. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #26 of 67
Quote:Originally Posted by jp11801 

"I've heard both and they are very good  but not top of the heap by a large margin. You can put all the part you want into a a beta or a Woo 6Se but you'll still get a second place finish"

I'm not sure that's the entire point. I'm comparing two different yet similar excellent amps. Neither one is hardly a failure. Please wait until I post my review before you make critiques. Thank you.

You know what your right, looking forward to your comparison

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #28 of 67

Just my 2c, I think B52 belongs in the "top of the heap" category. I can think of atleast 2 others, but will not mention since I have no experience with either.

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what do you consider 'top of the heap'?

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #30 of 67
It all depends on how you define "top of the heap"

Between Apache, b22 and B52, it's probably along the lines of Apache << b22 < B52. So I guess one can always define "top of the heap" to include all amps better than b22.

Is CX300 that good? guess i need to find a dealer and give it a listen one of these days.

Quote:

I would think the B22(Balanced), B52, RWA Isabella(Balanced), WooAudio WA22, WA5, RSA Apache, Leben CX300, all Eddie Current Amps fall in the top of the heap category. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back