The Woo Audio 6 SE: My Impressions *updated*
Jul 15, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #61 of 78
updated
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #65 of 78
naw...didn't get a chance to. transparent super cable eh? i'm using the oritek x-1's for now. the sound coming out of the PSA can be a little cold, dry, and sterile. i haven't burned it in yet though. i like its super detailedness and the x-1's do warm up the sound a little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the computer based system, and I always set the volume out of PC at %70.

So that's not a problem.
tongue.gif

Digital attentuation isn't really the best thing to do with PC as source. You're destroying any hope of getting a bit-perfect signal to your DAC. Just FYI, if you enjoy the sound as it is just ignore me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #70 of 78
The Digital Link III > WA6SE > RS1 is indeed a very nice combo. Thanks WittyzTH for the confirmation when I was deciding whether or not to buy it. The DLIII really brings out the details in the recording and I honestly feel like i'm listening to my RS1i for the very first time. The WA6 and RS1 is also very, very nice. The more I listen to them together, the more I fall in love. I think what I like most about the Woo is that upfront sound. I usually fall asleep easily when listening to slow jazz music, but I certainly don't with this combo. I still don't know if I can justify keeping the WA6SE though, I want more versatility.

This dac/amp combo really brings out those incredible details and that sweet rich tone of the RS1. I actually found myself missing that particular sound at the earlier part of today and wanted to get home early, sit down, and turn this sucker on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #72 of 78
heh, that person wouldn't have to worry. i am pretty firm with my decision to try balanced. as far as the WA22, that is something i have planned for the far, far future. i'm thinking about having a 4-channel beta 22 built (in the future also quite far away). it'll probably come out the same price or more than the WA22, but i think that the HD650 and K701 shines the best with a good solid state. it definitely sucks not being a EE major when you have audio as an hobby.
tongue_smile.gif

btw, i am currently working on my review/impressions of the PS Audio DLIII based on all the dacs that i had previously owned. it's a work in progress and should be ready in less than a week.
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #73 of 78
Bumping this thread back out, for those of us who are getting into Woo most recently...and availability of tubes has changed in the interim.
This thread is quite a nice tutorial, loaded with great info!
smile.gif

I find myself wondering if there are any current production tubes that are coming close to matching tubes from the Good 'ol Days.

I myself am still a relative neophyte to the world of headphone tube amps, trying out different tube combos in a WA6.
Building a little stock of NOS power tubes and rectifiers for a time when they become extremely difficult to acquire.

Visited TubeWorld, wonder about folks' thoughts on the cryo process and how much sound improvement is gained?

2 brown based vs 1 metal based,(GZ34), for the same price, the test numbers are good on all.....
Anybody have thoughts on that?
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #74 of 78
you should use the other thread for discussion

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587285/woo-audio-wa6-wa6se-tubes-comments-pictures-and-advice

this one does have that one post on page 3 that has tons of information on the tubes. 

i myself have just ordered 6DE7 and 6CY7 pairs for my WA6-SE, and plan on trying out 6SN7's very soon.

i have a f32 black base mullard GZ34, sounds great. ive always been interested in trying out the metal base ones, don't know if they're worth the huge price premium though. (they're more expensive than the EML 5U4G/sophia and several  times more expensive than the mighty 596).

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #75 of 78
Great thread.  Sorry to join so late, but I understand from Jack that a CV378 rectifier can be used instead of the 274B.  I only mention it because I once owned an Art Audio PX25 amp that came with the Sophia Princess 274B as stock.  It was recommended to me that I replace it with a CV378 (don't recall the brand).  Indeed, the 378 was a distinct improvement in clarity, impact/dynamics and depth and "tightening" of the bass.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried a CV378 as the rectifier tube in the WA6 SE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back