The Woo Audio 2
Sep 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #856 of 1,750
DG, u're still selling your WA 2 to fund a WA 22 correct?  I'll be very interested in hearing your opinions on the WA 22 (once you get it.)   I've got maybe 1000 hours on my WA 2 and 300 - 350 hours on supporting equip. (e.g. phones, DAC, cables , and etc.) and it is just starting to really really impress me.  I can understand when you said you may repurchase it, even with the WA 22!  This WA 2 is absolutely a very well designed and engineer product by Woo Audio (disclaimer: no association with Woo Audio); it's a keeper and contender with some of the best products out there.  Just wanted to share: the more I use this amp the more impressed I am with the product as a whole (and with my back ground, that is a sincere compliment!) - pardon my humility :atsmile:  

Yes

And i feel the same way about WA2. To me, it does nothing wrong and would serve as a perfect endgame for beyerdynamic t1 and even hd 800.

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #857 of 1,750

I actually would love to hear the WA 2 fitted with the MIGHTY 596'ers!  You've got connections, broach the subject with Clayton and or etc.
wink_face.gif

I sold Clayton's WA2 this week
cool.gif

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #858 of 1,750
Looking at getting a WA2 in the future (if funds permit!)

Currently running:

Schiit Bifrost USB - > Woo WA6 w/ Princess Sophia - > HD800/T1

Without thinking of tubes for now would the WA2 be a good upgrade overall? 

Was thinking about TH-900's to add into the fray further down the line too (Wanting a closed phone too)

Thoughts?

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #859 of 1,750
th-900 may or may not work well with wa2 cause low impedance. some tubes like 6as7g can allow it to work somewhat ok also depending on your source

after upgrading tubes, the wa2 will be much much better than wa6 for hd800 and especiallyfor t1

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #860 of 1,750
Hmm.. thought so - are there any mid range amps you would recommend with the TH-900's as well? 

Your posts and thought's are very helpful DG! 

You have definately helped my path quite a bit as of late!

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #861 of 1,750
  Hmm.. thought so - are there any mid range amps you would recommend with the TH-900's as well? 

Your posts and thought's are very helpful DG! 

You have definately helped my path quite a bit as of late!

thanks!

well for one, i do highly recommend you get the WA2 first for the T1/HD800. i can't see anything else in the 1k range comparing if you're using both those headphones, the T1/WA2 pairing is so good, i could easily live with it as an endgame, upgrading to WA22, but i might still re-buy the WA2. the HD 800 is great as well. 

anyways for the TH-900, i think any regular SS amp would be a good choice. they don't take much to drive them. i would get an amp with a lower output impedance for them to have a more balanced yet still fun presentation. they become bass monsters with high output impedance, like even more than Denon D7000, but they also end up having other issues. anyways, any amp can drive the TH-900, better amps just reduce the grain. mid-level, i think you'll be fine with one of the schiit amps (not the lyr, the asgard). maybe if you want to spend more money, something like a baby soloist would be good too.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #862 of 1,750
WA2 it is to start!

WA22 review when you get it! will be interesting to see your thoughts~

Then TH900 and trying solid states.. shall post once the WA2 arrives - might be a little while still..

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #863 of 1,750
  WA2 it is to start!

WA22 review when you get it! will be interesting to see your thoughts~

Then TH900 and trying solid states.. shall post once the WA2 arrives - might be a little while still..

i still have to put up a GS-X review soon. i think sometime this week if i have time.

if you buy WA2, i'd love to hear your impressions. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #864 of 1,750

i still have to put up a GS-X review soon. i think sometime this week if i have time.

if you buy WA2, i'd love to hear your impressions. 

Shall post up with my impressions once i have it 
dt880smile.png

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #865 of 1,750
Yes

And i feel the same way about WA2. To me, it does nothing wrong and would serve as a perfect endgame for beyerdynamic t1 and even hd 800.

Well, we'll see how long it takes before you buy another... I'm also interested in your impressions once you get the WA22 (you know, with my Mighty 596ers on the way.) 
wink_face.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #866 of 1,750
After only 10 days from my order, I received my brand new WA2 here, in Italy.
First of all, I really cannot say how happy I’m: this gorgeous amp can really make shine my Hd700s and I say this after only few minutes of warm up with stock tubes; I imagine that with burn in and tube rolling, things can only go better.

Coming from a SS amp, the Schiit Asgard 1, that I keep considering a real bargain, I immediately noticed how WA2 affected my HPs signature: while conserving their revealing nature, they have lost any excess of brightness, any metallic thin sound, any emphasis on cymbals and, definitely, any hint of fatigue.

I find myself cranking up volume because I’m really enjoying what I hear: with Asgard, I could not keep the volume after 10 o’ clock for more than few minutes, because treble seemed to raise up more than other frequencies, giving to my head a sort of tension that I could not describe otherwise: not exactly a headache but think about a bit of pressure around head.

I read somewhere that Senn headphones really love tube amps: I could not agree more!

I don’t know if this is Woodoo magic, but it seems I bought new headphones along with my WA2: sound seems to flow from them like the sweetest nectar I ever tasted.
Deep bass, enticing mids, silky™ highs: music is there, definitely, and I’m enjoying all kinds of it, even tracks I considered too bright less than one day ago. What surprises me more is having all that good without losing any detail: moreover I’m experiencing enhanced layering of different instruments and a more expansive sound.

How can this be possible? I don’t know, I’m really not a technician, but I have a suspect about it and maybe any of you can confirm or deny what I’m saying.
My headphones have nominally 150 ohms impedance but, they have way more on low frequencies (380 ohms @100 Hz): WA2, maybe for being OTL, delivers more power @300 ohms (640mW) than @120 ohms (550mW).
I don’t know if this could be, possibly, the reason I’m experiencing a warmer sound or if it is only the tube factor: I only know that I'm liking the result!

More to come next days, maybe a full review: now I have to discover my music again! :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #867 of 1,750
After only 10 days from my order, I received my brand new WA2 here, in Italy.
First of all, I really cannot say how happy I’m: this gorgeous amp can really make shine my Hd700s and I say this after only few minutes of warm up with stock tubes; I imagine that with burn in and tube rolling, things can only go better.

Coming from a SS amp, the Schiit Asgard 1, that I keep considering a real bargain, I immediately noticed how WA2 affected my HPs signature: while conserving their revealing nature, they have lost any excess of brightness, any metallic thin sound, any emphasis on cymbals and, definitely, any hint of fatigue.

I find myself cranking up volume because I’m really enjoying what I hear: with Asgard, I could not keep the volume after 10 o’ clock for more than few minutes, because treble seemed to raise up more than other frequencies, giving to my head a sort of tension that I could not describe otherwise: not exactly a headache but think about a bit of pressure around head.

I read somewhere that Senn headphones really love tube amps: I could not agree more!

I don’t know if this is Woodoo magic, but it seems I bought new headphones along with my WA2: sound seems to flow from them like the sweetest nectar I ever tasted.
Deep bass, enticing mids, silky™ highs: music is there, definitely, and I’m enjoying all kinds of it, even tracks I considered too bright less than one day ago. What surprises me more is having all that good without losing any detail: moreover I’m experiencing enhanced layering of different instruments and a more expansive sound.

How can this be possible? I don’t know, I’m really not a technician, but I have a suspect about it and maybe any of you can confirm or deny what I’m saying.
My headphones have nominally 150 ohms impedance but, they have way more on low frequencies (380 ohms @100 Hz): WA2, maybe for being OTL, delivers more power @300 ohms (640mW) than @120 ohms (550mW).
I don’t know if this could be, possibly, the reason I’m experiencing a warmer sound or if it is only the tube factor: I only know that I'm liking the result!

More to come next days, maybe a full review: now I have to discover my music again! :)

ahhh yes, silky™ 
tongue_smile.gif

the WA2 is a much better amp than the asgard as well when it comes to driving high impedance headphones. and its a very musical yet transparent amp. just wait till you upgrade tubes. especially if you get GEC 6AS7G or Tung Sol 5998

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #869 of 1,750

I've been lucky, or maybe I just bothered Jack with too many emails! :D

In the beginning I was leaning toward WA7, for its minimal design, but when I asked Jack for his personal preference in amp matching with Hd700s, he admitted to prefer the warmer sound of WA2.

From what I read in this forum, he seems to particularly appreciate WA2 in general, but I'm very happy of his suggestion: sound is really astonishing and, in addition, I'm fond of WA2 design!

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #870 of 1,750
I was thinking of going for the WA22 next but i don think that will happen now. Dont like the way people say its leaner. I will stick with WA2 for the foreseeable future. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back