The Woo Audio 2
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #736 of 1,750
They are both twin triodes, with the same pinout. Apart from that, they are very different: gm, mu, bias, so there's likely to be going a change in sound. Dunno what will sound better, but at first glance, I'd be careful putting a 6CG7 in a circuit optimized for E88CC. The operating point will be rather different, and I suppose there's a risk in running the 6CG7 beyond its maximum ratings

Quote:
Hi, has anyone tried replacing the E88CC tube with 6CG7 in your WA2?

The thought came to my mind when I was tweaking with tubes on my Lyr (now sold, after upgrading to WA2).

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #737 of 1,750
I'm new to headphone amps and DAC's. Bought a Senn HD600 new from Amazon last year at a great price and am now going to purchase an amp (with pre-outs) and DAC.  Pretty much decided on the WA2, which is the limit of my budget. Temporarily had purchased a FIIO E10 USB DAC/Amp for $75 last year until I was ready to spend the $ on a good amp. (No enjoyment there, but I was not expecting much.)  I'm hoping the headphone and new amp will keep me happy for a long time, as I'm not one to keep upgrading. (Recently sold my stereo Conrad Johnson PV6 preamp which I had for ~25 years!).  I have a few questions:

-Any reasonably priced tubes I should consider getting from the start?
-Am considering the Bifrost DAC, would that be too polite of a DAC for the HD600/WA2?
- Anyone know if the Bifrost and silver WA2 finishes are the same match?
- Any other DAC suggestions in the <$500 price range?

I'm will be feeding it ripped Flac files and Hirez downloads from USB out.
(I'll cross post this in the HD600 forum also.)

Thanks,
Glenn

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #738 of 1,750
Quote:
I'm new to headphone amps and DAC's. Bought a Senn HD600 new from Amazon last year at a great price and am now going to purchase an amp (with pre-outs) and DAC.  Pretty much decided on the WA2, which is the limit of my budget. Temporarily had purchased a FIIO E10 USB DAC/Amp for $75 last year until I was ready to spend the $ on a good amp. (No enjoyment there, but I was not expecting much.)  I'm hoping the headphone and new amp will keep me happy for a long time, as I'm not one to keep upgrading. (Recently sold my stereo Conrad Johnson PV6 preamp which I had for ~25 years!).  I have a few questions:

-Am considering the Bifrost DAC, would that be too polite of a DAC for the HD600/WA2?

I'm will be feeding it ripped Flac files and Hirez downloads from USB out.
(I'll cross post this in the HD600 forum also.)

Thanks,
Glenn

When I got my WA2 I used the stock tubes for a while just to get accustomed to how the amp sounded.  I purchased my tube stock a while ago and they were all reasonable at the time, although I'm sure the price has gone up since then.  You should still be able to find a good set of matched RCA 6AS7G Black or Grey plate power tubes for a reasonable price.  I also really like the Tungsol 6080 and Chatham 6AS7G power tubes.  For signal tubes, I really like the Sylvania 6DJ8.  www.tubeworld.com is a pretty decent vendor.

Regarding DAC's, I'm not sure if this one is still recommended around here, but I've been using the PS Audio DL III DAC for quite some time and it's been great.  I use the Coax input and also feed over FLAC from my PC (24/192).  It's a combination I have no plans of changing, and they actually match nicely (even the LED's match).

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #739 of 1,750
Thanks for the tube info, Thaddy.  I agree that listening to it stock is a good idea.  I figured if I would get a shopping list of preferred tubes then I could make some purchases over time whenever I see a good price.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #740 of 1,750
^ Try out the stock tubes first, then ask for advice (that's my advice, at least). My impression is that the stock tubes sometimes suck big time and sometimes are quite all right.  

I'd go for a warmish dac with the WA2 (PS II is warmish FWIR). The WA2 is not warm, just smoooth as silk :wink: Also, avoid bright dac's, the WA2 is not a dark amp. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #741 of 1,750
Quote:
Thanks for the tube info, Thaddy.  I agree that listening to it stock is a good idea.  I figured if I would get a shopping list of preferred tubes then I could make some purchases over time whenever I see a good price.

My WA2 came with RCA 6080's and some 6922's (I can't remember the brand).  I basically put together my shopping list during this period and ended up with:

Power: Tungsol 6080, Tungsol 7236, Sylvania 7236, RCA 6AS7G, Chatham 6AS7G, Tung Sol 5998

Signal: JAN Phillips 6922, Sylvania 6DJ8

Rectifier: Amperex Holland EZ80

I'm actually on the lookout again for a nice pair of Amperex 6DJ8's along with some replacement RCA Blackplate 6AS7G's.  The latter seem to be plentiful, well priced, and offer great overall sound.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily consider the DigitalLink III to be warm.  In my opinion, it matches very well with the WA2 and Sennheiser's.  If anything, I'd say it's accurate and transparent.  I've been listening to this same setup for about 2 years and haven't found a genre it doesn't handle well.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #742 of 1,750
Hey Thaddy, glad to see you around these parts again.  It's been a while.  Hope all is well with you and your WA2,

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #743 of 1,750
Quote:

Obviously the Tung Sol 5998 and Sylvania/Tung-Sol 7236 are the best choices if you can afford them. A very good choice is the RCA 6AS7G, its inexpensive and has a sweet warm sound thats easy to enjoy, i found a pair on ebay for like 10$ a few weeks ago, great bargain tube. The chatham/tung-sol variants are slightly better but harder to find. The stock RCA 6080 is ok for now i think. i myself got the stock GE 6AS7GA when i bought my WA2 and didn't like them too much

for driver tubes, check out the 6N23P-EV tubes (mine are Reflector brand), they're relatively inexpensive and have great bass and a clean forward presentation. A huge bargain IMO, I enjoy them as much as my JAN Sylvania 7308 (which seem to have recently skyrocketed in price). They can be easily found for 40-50ish for a pair and its a steal at that price, they sound very nice. 

rectifiers can be left stock though telefunken/mullard/rft/ei EZ80's are nice. also the old Tesla EZ81 is a good choice as well.
Quote:
My WA2 came with RCA 6080's and some 6922's (I can't remember the brand).  I basically put together my shopping list during this period and ended up with:

Power: Tungsol 6080, Tungsol 7236, Sylvania 7236, RCA 6AS7G, Chatham 6AS7G, Tung Sol 5998

Signal: JAN Phillips 6922, Sylvania 6DJ8

Rectifier: Amperex Holland EZ80
Also, I wouldn't necessarily consider the DigitalLink III to be warm.  In my opinion, it matches very well with the WA2 and Sennheiser's.  If anything, I'd say it's accurate and transparent.  I've been listening to this same setup for about 2 years and haven't found a genre it doesn't handle well.

+1. the Digital Link is very natural sounding, i think thats the best word for it. its a fantastic dac even today. the biifrost is a great option as well. these are all great tubes, though i'm not a big fan of the JAN Phillips 6922 stock, they're ok though.

Quote:

Regarding DAC's, I'm not sure if this one is still recommended around here, but I've been using the PS Audio DL III DAC for quite some time and it's been great.  I use the Coax input and also feed over FLAC from my PC (24/192).  It's a combination I have no plans of changing, and they actually match nicely (even the LED's match).

+1

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #745 of 1,750
Quote:
Hey Thaddy, glad to see you around these parts again.  It's been a while.  Hope all is well with you and your WA2,

Custom IEM's have brought me back :)

I supposed I'm considered an old dude around this forum now, but the WA2 is alive and well.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #746 of 1,750
Question for WA2 owners...how do you like the Sennheiser HD800's?  Are they a good match with the WA2 or am I better off saving some money and getting a pair of HD600's to complement my HD650's?

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #747 of 1,750
From my understanding, the HD600 and HD650 are more alike than they are different, but the HD800s are a completely different beast.

If you are looking for a good complement to your HD650s, but don't want to break the bank, perhaps consider the Beyer DT990/600.  They are are an excellent contrast and complement to my HD600s, and they were magic on my WA3 as well.

Quote:
Question for WA2 owners...how do you like the Sennheiser HD800's?  Are they a good match with the WA2 or am I better off saving some money and getting a pair of HD600's to complement my HD650's?

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #748 of 1,750
Quote:

HD 650 and DT 990-600 both work really well with the WA2. 

and the HD 800s work really well with the WA2. i typically enjoy them with 5998/7236 tubes.

Today actually i just received a pair of RFT EZ80 i bought from ebay after seeing how its a solid choice for an EZ80. and i thinking im starting to really really like the HD 800. the smoothness, clear treble, transparency, its just such a good rectifier, a little better than the Tesla EZ81 i was using and much better than the stock rectifier. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #749 of 1,750
I'm glad to see the RFT EZ80 love.  It is a lovely tube.  It does nothing wrong, and it has become my workhorse in my Trafomatic.  Everyone seems to rave about the black plate Brimers, but I think the RFT is where it's at.  It could be the magical equivalent to the 596.

Quote:

HD 650 and DT 990-600 both work really well with the WA2. 

and the HD 800s work really well with the WA2. i typically enjoy them with 5998/7236 tubes.

Today actually i just received a pair of RFT EZ80 i bought from ebay after seeing how its a solid choice for an EZ80. and i thinking im starting to really really like the HD 800. the smoothness, clear treble, transparency, its just such a good rectifier, a little better than the Tesla EZ81 i was using and much better than the stock rectifier. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #750 of 1,750
Quote:
I'm glad to see the RFT EZ80 love.  It is a lovely tube.  It does nothing wrong, and it has become my workhorse in my Trafomatic.  Everyone seems to rave about the black plate Brimers, but I think the RFT is where it's at.  It could be the magical equivalent to the 596.

I also have a pair of RFT's on the way, looking forward to trying them out.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the DT 990/600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back