The Woo Audio 2
Oct 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #691 of 1,750
Posted this in the united thread, and will ask the same here:

Hi,

I'm interested in the WA2.
I like the idea that it can be used as a preamp.
But when I mailed Woo, they don't offer any other upgrades then tubes anymore...
...is the WA2 great as it is? (I was quiet interested in the stepped volume pot. and maybe a power supply upgrade if that was available.)

I later found out this:

The lates reply I got was: "the internal parts are no longer available since the Black Gate caps was out of production for years."

They could however upgrade the volume control to a DACT stepped attenuator.

I also might be interested in a remote volume control, but I don't know if its worth it(?) and I'm also thinking "less extra features, better sound quality and durability".

Any thoughts? = )

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #692 of 1,750
Hi,

I really love my WA2 as a preamp. The clarity is unbelievable. I ordered the WA2 when Black Gate caps were available and also had a Goldpoint stepped attenuator installed. I have loaned mine to Ultrainferno. It is now in Belgium. You may want to ask him his opinion as well.

I was offered a remote control but decided against it because I heard somewhere that the motor may affect the sound. I don't know if this is true or not.

Here are some internal pictures of my WA2.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #693 of 1,750
awesome pictures clayton!

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #694 of 1,750
Thanks, Rawrbington.

It is an awesome amp; and it is stunning visually as well as sonically. :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #695 of 1,750
Quote:
Hi,

I really love my WA2 as a preamp. The clarity is unbelievable. I ordered the WA2 when Black Gate caps were available and also had a Goldpoint stepped attenuator installed. I have loaned mine to Ultrainferno. It is now in Belgium. You may want to ask him his opinion as well.

I was offered a remote control but decided against it because I heard somewhere that the motor may affect the sound. I don't know if this is true or not.

Here are some internal pictures of my WA2.

I will do a full review on the WA2 at one time but what I can say for now is that the sound stage is very wide and deep. This amp focuses on clarity and I even found it to be to clear and clean sounding with the 5998 tubes. With some RCA 6AS7G is became a whole lot smoother and warmer and it gave the bass that kick it needed to my ears. Overall the one word that comes back is "Clarity"

The WA2 also makes a GREAT pre-amp. To be honest I have been using the WA2 more as pre amp as a headphone amp, but I think Clayton was doing the same.

Build quality is perfect and it looks gorgeous! Not as sexy as the La Figaro 339 though :D

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #697 of 1,750
Quote:
Would like to seek advice on Woo Audio WA6SE versus WA2 driving Audeze LCD-3. My listening preference is mainly jazz vocal & classical symphony, thank you.

The WA6SE for the LCD-3s. No question IMO.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #698 of 1,750
Quote:
The WA6SE for the LCD-3s. No question IMO.

wink.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #700 of 1,750
Quote:
But WA2 does indeed make LCD-3 sound good too. I like it a lot, altough the more.powerful amps have their advantages sometimes. The wa2 silkyness is something special.

I liked the WA2 with my LCD-2s when I owned both. But it seems that some had issues with clipping. It seemed dependent on the amp (or could be tubes used). Being OTL, its not ideal for low impedance headphones. That said, orthos aren't as dependent on damping factors as dynamic headphones. The WA6SE is the safest bet for the LCD-3s IMO. For the T1s, the WA2 is the way to go.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #701 of 1,750
I actually had a dialog with one a (the?) user who have been reporting clipping issues with the LCD-2 (r.2),. The user sent me a recording of the clipping with the WA2 and LCD-2. I used the same song and could not reconstruct the issue, neither with LCD-2 rev.1 or Hifiman HE-500. I used standard RCA6080 power tubes.  I played so loud I had to hold the headphone cups out K1000-style. No distortion at all. And definitely not clipping. 

But agreed, the 6SE seems the safer way to go - but I would not hesitate recommending WA2 owners to try out the LCD's. It is a great combo  :D The sibling rivalry review of baka1969 neither has any complaints of the LCD-2/HE-500 with WA2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/555749/sibling-rivalry-the-woo-wa2-vs-the-woo-wa6se-review-posted-update-6-3-2011

Quote:
I liked the WA2 with my LCD-2s when I owned both. But it seems that some had issues with clipping. It seemed dependent on the amp (or could be tubes used). Being OTL, its not ideal for low impedance headphones. That said, orthos aren't as dependent on damping factors as dynamic headphones. The WA6SE is the safest bet for the LCD-3s IMO. For the T1s, the WA2 is the way to go.

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #702 of 1,750
I truly agree with you and the "smooth" sound with LCD3, just got the amp yesterday. I comes with JJ EZ81 & Westinghouse 6080. I used my Siemens e88cc as the pre-amp stage. Very happy with the sound, by the way, do you leave the amp on 24 hrs for the burning in?

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #703 of 1,750
It looks like the WA234 MONO's estimated price is now at $15,000. Eek. Now I have to save for another 5 more months. :wink:

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #704 of 1,750
I'm getting 2 of them!

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #705 of 1,750
Great!

Woo recommends the amp to cool down every 8 hours. I never left it on for even that long. The heat will dry out the capacitators eventually I think..
Quote:
I truly agree with you and the "smooth" sound with LCD3, just got the amp yesterday. I comes with JJ EZ81 & Westinghouse 6080. I used my Siemens e88cc as the pre-amp stage. Very happy with the sound, by the way, do you leave the amp on 24 hrs for the burning in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back