The Woo Audio 2
Aug 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #631 of 1,750
I agree - the 6H13C is a great tube - and it has a very modest pricetag :)
Quote:
The Svetlana is an underrated tube around here.  It's warm and smooth, but has a little veil to it.  Overall, I like it.  Very, very low noise.  The lowest noise I've ever experience on that family of tube types.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #632 of 1,750
I have briefly been switching back and forth between the WA2 and WA22 today with the HE500 - I cannot really say the WA2 sounds like it is having any issues with the HE500. Have to turn the volume at 12-13 (I have the stepped attenuator), but there is more to go on. I have the 6080 tubes in the WA2 now. 

You have read THIS I assume?
Quote:

I don't have an answer but I would note that in my email regarding powering the He-500 or LCD-2, Woo's 'concern' was not about the impedance of the headphones but about the sensitivity.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #633 of 1,750
Quote:
I have briefly been switching back and forth between the WA2 and WA22 today with the HE500 - I cannot really say the WA2 sounds like it is having any issues with the HE500. Have to turn the volume at 12-13 (I have the stepped attenuator), but there is more to go on. I have the 6080 tubes in the WA2 now. 

You have read THIS I assume?

I did. That and a few other comments led me to believe that the WA2 would match with the HE-500 fine. Those subjective opinions plus the fact that it would 'seem' that there is sufficient power.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #634 of 1,750
Quote:
Anyone using the Philips JAN 6922? I got them a few days ago and I'm absolutely loving them. Rock music in particular seems to have greater attack, bass extension and quantity seems to be greater than Japanese made Counterpoint 6922 (stock) tubes.

ive got a pair of the Philips 6922.  great tube for the price tag.  solid all round price to performace. 
my favorite pre amp tubes on the 2 have been the Amprex Bugle Boy 6DJ8.  but they also cost about double what my philips did.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #635 of 1,750
Well, if the HE500 works well, the LCD-2 rev.2 would be even better, since it is more sensitive (89 vs 91 dB)

Quote:
 I did. That and a few other comments led me to believe that the WA2 would match with the HE-500 fine. Those subjective opinions plus the fact that it would 'seem' that there is sufficient power.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #636 of 1,750
Quote:
Well, if the HE500 works well, the LCD-2 rev.2 would be even better, since it is more sensitive (89 vs 91 dB) 

That would seem to be true though from what I've read the description of the HE-500 would seem to better suit my musical tastes. Actually, in the thread you cited, the op specifically stated that he thought the WA2/LCD-2 combo over extenuated the things they did well making what would seem to be a more cloying sound.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #637 of 1,750
Remember, amplifiers do indeed make phones sound different. 

What is it you hope you'll find in the HE-500 - what characteristics are you after? 

Quote:
That would seem to be true though from what I've read the description of the HE-500 would seem to better suit my musical tastes. Actually, in the thread you cited, the op specifically stated that he thought the WA2/LCD-2 combo over extenuated the things they did well making what would seem to be a more cloying sound.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #638 of 1,750
Quote:
Remember, amplifiers do indeed make phones sound different. 

What is it you hope you'll find in the HE-500 - what characteristics are you after? 

That's a great question.

I've been listening to music a long time but have primarily listened through speakers when not at the computer. The WA2 was my first foray into a higher-end amp and handles pre-amp duties in my bedroom system. I'd like to shift into more of a 50-50 ratio of headphone listening and speaker listening.

Ideally, I'd like a fairly neutral headphone in the sense that one area isn't accenuated at the expense of another. While I don't necessarily need bass heavy, I would like the bass to be reproduced accurately and with impact. I guess a balanced sound, something the Denon does';t really do though I have enjoyed using them (and will likely shift them to my desktop system when they are replaced.) I love the sound of the WA2 and want a headphone that reproduces that sound without smothering it.

Most of the time I don't think I speak the 'language' of Head-fi. Above describes what I'd like as best as possible.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #639 of 1,750
To me, that sounds just like the HD600.
Quote:
Ideally, I'd like a fairly neutral headphone in the sense that one area isn't accenuated at the expense of another. While I don't necessarily need bass heavy, I would like the bass to be reproduced accurately and with impact. I guess a balanced sound, something the Denon does';t really do though I have enjoyed using them (and will likely shift them to my desktop system when they are replaced.) I love the sound of the WA2 and want a headphone that reproduces that sound without smothering it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #641 of 1,750
Quote:
Have you checked out the He400? It is more efficient than the other orthos, Hifiman says ipod-efficiency.....

I've looked at them though the sound signature seemed to be akin to the Denon 2000s. I'll read up on them again. But I've had the HE-500 in the back of my head after wading through a number of threads, reviews, etc.
Quote:
To me, that sounds just like the HD600.

Something to consider though I thought they weren't recommended for a heavy metal based diet.

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #642 of 1,750
Quote:
Ok, that makes somewhat sense, but what does it mean? Is all this fuzz about impedance matching with the wa2 irrelevant? Where does this leave Jack's 60 ohms?

The WA2 can't got as low as say 1 or 5 ohms output impedance. But when one plugs in a 300 ohm headphone the output impedance would be "X" (you'd have to ask Woo Audio for this number) and then if you plugged in a 600 ohm beyer the output impedance would be "X+Y" (again, you'd have to ask Woo for the exact numbers here). As there are no output transformers on an OTL (Output Transformer-Less) amps, the amp cannot make sure that the output impedance is the same for headphones of different impedances. Hopefully this helps. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #643 of 1,750
What is the relationship between the tubes installed and the amp's ability to drive speakers? I understand that the power tubes power the headphones but what, other than the sound of the amp, do the other tubes do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back