The Woo Audio 2
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #121 of 1,750
Thank You for all useful informations here and all the stuff.
I have ordered my Woo2 few days ago - can't wait for it
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope it will be finally good amp for my GS1000. Previously I been using Yamamoto HA-02 and RudiStor NX33 which wasn't in good synergy to GS1000.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #122 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallow81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You for all useful informations here and all the stuff.
I have ordered my Woo2 few days ago - can't wait for it
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope it will be finally good amp for my GS1000. Previously I been using Yamamoto HA-02 and RudiStor NX33 which wasn't in good synergy to GS1000.

Did you order the stock version or did you maxxx or upgrade...?

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #125 of 1,750
Most of the relevant posts at Tube Asylum speak quite highly of the Tungsram E88CC.

I'm discovering that in the WA2, "better" is not exactly easy to pin down; the amp seems to bring out the best in a wide range of tubes. (I just wrote in another thread that after some initial problems, I'm totally blown away by RCA 7DJ8s, which apparently were made by Mullard and Amperex.)

I'm curious about the Tungsrams too. Unless there's a clear-cut electrical issue (for me, 6CG7 or 6FW8), it almost seems like you can't really go badly wrong with tube rolling the WA2.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #127 of 1,750
It appears to be. I didn't ask Jack specifically about this, but he assured me that the Russian 6N2P was a drop in replacement, and from what I've read, I think the Russian tube is considerably more problematic.

As I understand it, the only difference between the 6DJ8 and the 7DJ8 is that the heater on the latter tube is supposed to run at 7.3 V instead of 6.3 V. According to a discussion on Tube Asylum, this is within the allowable variance for the tube. He says he has Amperex 6DJ8s that are actually 7DJ8s. Tubes Asylum: RE: The Flying Saucer by TimB5881

I've read two "explanations": one is that the heater runs at a lower voltage and therefore the tube should last longer; the other is that the heater draw is within tolerances and is no issue. In the short time I've been trying them, I haven't seen any evidence of a problem, and the discussions seem to indicate that this is a safe substitution.

Then again, I'm a musicologist and know nothing about electric circuits; my best guess is that they're some form of magic. You might want to check with Jack. Or Jamato8.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #128 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So very very close to pulling the trigger on this one... but if only for the pre-amp function over the WA6. Has anyone yet had the opportunity to try that function out compared to other dedicated pre-amps? Thanks

I know this is a week too late, but just FYI, Jack will stick a pre-out on the WA6 if you want. He might even do a selector.

And my WA2 is my preamp and my headphone amp - I couldn't be happier.

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #129 of 1,750
I'm ready for a amp upgrade, and the WA2 has caught my eyes.
My GS1000 is my primary concern when thinking about what would match my 'phones, and with the positivity concerning the GS1000 and WA2 combo, I'm intrigued.
But I have a question: As this amp is OTL, It's supposed to be better suited for higher impedance 'phones, and therefore people, Skylab amongst others, are saying it would be a bad match with the lower imp. grados. So how come it performes so well with GS1000 (32 ohms)?
Has anybody tried the WA2 with any other lower imp. 'phones, like audio-technicas or lower grados ?

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #130 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm ready for a amp upgrade, and the WA2 has caught my eyes.
My GS1000 is my primary concern when thinking about what would match my 'phones, and with the positivity concerning the GS1000 and WA2 combo, I'm intrigued.
But I have a question: As this amp is OTL, It's supposed to be better suited for higher impedance 'phones, and therefore people, Skylab amongst others, are saying it would be a bad match with the lower imp. grados. So how come it performes so well with GS1000 (32 ohms)?
Has anybody tried the WA2 with any other lower imp. 'phones, like audio-technicas or lower grados ?

I'd say even though there is an impedance mismatch, the WA2 still probably goes a good job of driving low impedance headphones. I'd still like to see a comparison between a WA6-SE and WA2 though.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #131 of 1,750
From all the 'phones I have spoken to various people about which are used with the WA2, the GS1000 comes up the most and is said to have phenomenal synergy. This is also with the "previous" WA2 model, prior to the upgrades in the power supply and the change of rectifier from 6X4 to EZ80. Those two changes are said to make it handle low impedance headphones even better.

Feb 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #132 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm currently trying LA7000 and the stock Denons (32 ohms) with WA2. Impressions with pics forthcoming shortly, probably today. But no need to prolong the suspense: WA2 can drive these handily, so no worries.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #134 of 1,750
i spent most of the recent charlotte canfest with my woo2 (stock with upgraded tubes) and the woo6 SE.

woo2 has a much wider soundstage, whereas the woo6 SE is upfront and maybe a little bit deeper.

the sound from the woo audio is much warmer and faster than the woo 6 SE, though the woo 6 SE is much more detailed and revealing - it's far from cold, but it's not as colored as the woo 2.

the sound of both units is very close - especially with 650s. however with 701s i felt the woo 6 SE was very lean sounding.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #135 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by swoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i spent most of the recent charlotte canfest with my woo2 (stock with upgraded tubes) and the woo6 SE.

woo2 has a much wider soundstage, whereas the woo6 SE is upfront and maybe a little bit deeper.

the sound from the woo audio is much warmer and faster than the woo 6 SE, though the woo 6 SE is much more detailed and revealing - it's far from cold, but it's not as colored as the woo 2.

the sound of both units is very close - especially with 650s. however with 701s i felt the woo 6 SE was very lean sounding.

You know, I bet that the differences could be reversed with a change of tubes in one or both of those amps.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back