The Woo Audio 2
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #33 of 1,750
Sorry for the misunderstanding
smily_headphones1.gif
I kind of mixed up things... that's what happen when you're doing 3 things at a time

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #34 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CrazyRay, don't you own a WA6 SE also ?? I'm so curious to read your comparison between these 2 amazing Woo amps ! especialy as i'm very close to press the buy button for the WA2....

I owned a WA6 SE for a while. It's since been sold, but I am supposed to be receiving my WA2 next week. I can give you a quick broad strokes comparo (since it's based on memory of course, but I have a good grasp of the WA6 SE sound).

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #35 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmwwhats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned a WA6 SE for a while. It's since been sold, but I am supposed to be receiving my WA2 next week. I can give you a quick broad strokes comparo (since it's based on memory of course, but I have a good grasp of the WA6 SE sound).

That would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #37 of 1,750
Sorry I've been MIA for a few days - been very busy at work and have done a lot of concert-going.

As for the Amperex 6V4s, I found them on eBay. There were also some Siemens EZ80s that I wanted, but the seller had them as a batch of 5, and I didn't want to pay for 3 more than I need.

As for the sound with my Senns (which are 650s, by the way, not 600s), it's fantastic. I am hoping to write up some listening impressions this afternoon, so stay tuned.

I have been listening to my WA2 every chance I get, but unfortunately, that hasn't been a whole lot. Hopefully I will have some more free time in the next week or so.

EDIT: mmwwhats - I await with anticipation your WA2/WA6SE comparative impressions.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #38 of 1,750
Update: I edited the first post with some listening impressions. I would love to hear from some of the other WA2 owners about whether they agree or disagree and what other things they notice. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the sound and I will try to listen carefully to something appropriate to produce an answer.

Also, I would love to hear some feedback on the internal pictures and how the circuit has been changed since the picture on the Woo website and since the most recent power supply revision. I didn't crack the thing open and take all those pics just for the thrill of it.
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #39 of 1,750
VERY nice write-up. Thanks for doing it.

No doubt that, if the Woo2 is like any other 6ASG-based amp, the 5998 will result in tighter bass. It will be interesting to hear your impressions on that.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #40 of 1,750
JayG,

Jack posted an internal picture of your amp on Woo's site. It's definitely yours. I compared the dust particles
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #41 of 1,750
Thank you for the update, and I just have to say it again, incredible looking amp
smily_headphones1.gif
My wallet are getting more and more scared. Need to resist...

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #42 of 1,750
atbglenn - You're right, that's definitely my amp. There are also some new exterior pictures of the black model, and I assume those are my amp also. I am honored that it is the new model unit and that their interior work on it was deemed worthy of being their display model.

paara - Be very, very afraid. And/or very, very satisfied once you drop the cash.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #43 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atbglenn - You're right, that's definitely my amp. There are also some new exterior pictures of the black model, and I assume those are my amp also. I am honored that it is the new model unit and that their interior work on it was deemed worthy of being their display model.

I think you're right about the external pictures being yours as well. The internal pictures show the true professionalism of Woo's wiring quality. Great stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #44 of 1,750
Update - I added tube-rolling impressions to the first post.

Other WA2 owners, please, let's hear from you! Have you rolled tubes? Which ones? Do you agree with my impressions of the amp's and other tubes' sound? Do you think I'm off my rocker and hearing things? Let's get a discussion going!

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #45 of 1,750
Very briefly....

Now, from what I've read, most people feel like the power tubes (the 6AS7G/5998s) should and do make the most difference on the sound of this amp. I respectfully disagree.

I concur. I was also surprised with this as Jack suggested the power tubes would make the most noticeable difference. I have not yet rolled the rectifier (have not managed to find any decent ones
frown.gif
) but have rolled in Philips Miniwatt (Amperex Holland made) E88CC gold-pins and it really did make the music sweeter and smoother.

Not sure which to try next - some decent rectifiers (if I can find them) and was thinking about some Bugle Boy 6DJ8's, Mullard 6922's or Siemens E88CC's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back