The Woo Audio 2
Apr 7, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #1,411 of 1,750
Hey Peter,

I just auditioned both LCD2 and LCD3.  I can understand now why most people would think LCD2 may not be a good match for the WA2.  These cans are dark - actually too dark even for my taste.  On the other hand, the LCD3 truly is a significant step up in everything:  extended on both ends, more slam, bass is accurate, tight and punchy, mids are rich and full (clear & clean), slightly wider soundstage, more air compared to the LCD2 which I find a bit closed off.  To me, this is the perfect complement for the HD800's lack of grunt for rock music. 

Never really paid attention to Audeze's because of comments about their "dark" signature.  I agree for the LCD2 but the LCD3 is in another level.  Just glad I did.   The question is would it be a good pair with the WA2?  If not then I am willing to get another matching amp because I really need to have these cans.

One more thing, I also auditioned the T1's.  These are very sweet pair of cans.  I would think they are in the middle of HD800 and HD600/650.  If I were to have 3 pairs of cans, it would be HD800, LCD3 and T1 (T1 being the middle ground).  I had fun auditioning today. 
oh oh.

If you find you need an amp but want something under $1k you could sus out Burson audio including the soloist amp (nit soloist sl) that's just been discontinued so probably going for about $700. That might work but you may want better.

And if you've got funds then definitely look for decent Gec 6as7g.

I haven't had a chance to answer your previous question re hum. I shall soon when I get a chance.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #1,412 of 1,750
  Peter et al,

Going back to WA2, do you hear a hum on your unit even when the source is turned-off"  I hear a distinct hum + microphonics on the WA2 thru the HD800 even when my DAC is turned off starting from around 1'clock and gets louder when volume is maxed out.  BUT, when I pull out the RCA's the hum disappears completely even when volume is maxed out.  Do you hear the same on your amps?

Try a different high quality audio cables or a ground lift adapter. Hum is not coming from your WA2.

http://amzn.to/1S6fXCs

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #1,413 of 1,750
  Peter et al,

Going back to WA2, do you hear a hum on your unit even when the source is turned-off"  I hear a distinct hum + microphonics on the WA2 thru the HD800 even when my DAC is turned off starting from around 1'clock and gets louder when volume is maxed out.  BUT, when I pull out the RCA's the hum disappears completely even when volume is maxed out.  Do you hear the same on your amps?

yes. with the tubes i have in there at the moment there is that very slight hum. so slight that it's not in the way for me and doesn't give me any annoyance. and like your finding it only completely goes quite once the interconnects are unplugged

there's no other noise or microphonics (as i understand the term) but i had that issue with a couple of expensive tubes that i returned - ie i tapped the amp and it would come into the HP's through the tubes. i've even had some second hand tubes that i bought that had a little bit of "pinging" going on when i would first turn on the amp for the first 15 minutes. but after i used the tubes for a couple of weeks or so they hardly ping at all - maybe a few pings for 3 minutes whilst warming up. and i'm talking about a slight ping very 30/45 seconds.

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,415 of 1,750

Could the issues I'm experiencing with bass be due to how these Tung sol 5998s tested? their numbers seem really low compared to others I am seeing on the Internet.

It's hard to tell as I can't make out all the data from the pictures, and the data will be some what relative to the tube tester used.  You'll need to email your seller to interpret the results.  The documented tube data for the TS5998 shows around
15,000 uMHOs (Transconductance ) per plate, but the bottom tube in the picture doesn't look to show that.

May 12, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,417 of 1,750
  I've been offered a 3 year old WA2 second hand for only a couple hundred cheaper than a wa7. Does the WA2 sound better than the wa7?

Cheers

They are completely different design. WA2 is OTL while WA7 is transformer-coupled. If you have or plan to have headphones under 100 Ohms, go with WA7.

May 12, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #1,418 of 1,750
Hey Peter,

I just auditioned both LCD2 and LCD3.  I can understand now why most people would think LCD2 may not be a good match for the WA2.  These cans are dark - actually too dark even for my taste.  On the other hand, the LCD3 truly is a significant step up in everything:  extended on both ends, more slam, bass is accurate, tight and punchy, mids are rich and full (clear & clean), slightly wider soundstage, more air compared to the LCD2 which I find a bit closed off.  To me, this is the perfect complement for the HD800's lack of grunt for rock music. 

Never really paid attention to Audeze's because of comments about their "dark" signature.  I agree for the LCD2 but the LCD3 is in another level.  Just glad I did.   The question is would it be a good pair with the WA2?  If not then I am willing to get another matching amp because I really need to have these cans.

One more thing, I also auditioned the T1's.  These are very sweet pair of cans.  I would think they are in the middle of HD800 and HD600/650.  If I were to have 3 pairs of cans, it would be HD800, LCD3 and T1 (T1 being the middle ground).  I had fun auditioning today. 

Hi
Any update on your set up and or headphones auditioned with the wa2?

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,419 of 1,750
Have a NOS pair of Tung Sol 7236's in the For Sale Forum. They were my backup pair and are unused other than to test.
No noise...dead quiet.
$95 plus $12 for USPS Priority shipping. CONUS only. I'll eat the Paypal fee.
PM me if interested.

****SOLD****

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,420 of 1,750

I didn't care much for the HD800 and kept my 650s, instead. The 650s and T1s sound amazing with the WA2, there is a synergy between tubes and the higher impedance cans that never fails to impress me. My LCD-3s sound better with a solid state amp, a Schiit Ragnarok in my case. It's not that LCD-3s sound bad on a WA2, it's just that there are better matches for both. If you are going to spend 4 figures on amps and headphones, get stuff that likes each other.

I listen to my LCD-3s on the Ragnarok, T1s on the WA2, and use the HD650s occasionally.

I spent a lot of time chasing hum on my WA2. Shielded cables and isolated grounds fixed it for me.

GEC 6AS7G are insanely expensive, right now. I feel guilty using mine; but I'll get over it. 5998s have better price/performance; but the GECs are special. It's hard to describe; but there is a delicacy to the sound that you won't hear with any other tube.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,421 of 1,750
+1 on the GEC 6AS7G's. My thoughts exactly.

Edit - Anyone have an idea on the number of hours you can expect out of the GEC 6AS7G's ? Are they a 5000 hour tube ?

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,422 of 1,750
Aug 30, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,423 of 1,750
Unloading my flotilla of EZ80's and will give first shot to the good people on this thread before I post them in the For Sale Forum.
All were supposedly NOS or near NOS when I bought them and I've put no more than 100 hours on any of these pairs.  I have no tester to verify.  I'll sell the pairs for the price posted here plus $12 for USPS Priority shipping.  I'll eat the Paypal fee.
Here's the list.  I'll mark them as SOLD as it happens.  All are EZ80's.

NEW JUST-REDUCED PRICES (per pair):
Philips/Amperex (Holland) D-Getters   $39
Lorenz D-Getters (not SEL's)  $29
Brimar D-Getters   $60   ***SOLD***
RFT  O-Getters     $29 
Rogers D-Getters  $29
EI  O-Getters        $29

PM ME IF INTERESTED.  CONUS ONLY.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,424 of 1,750
My new WA2 arrived today.  In anticipation of this, I have also picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s (2nd Gen).  The T1s were chosen after reading many posts here at Head-Fi, which suggested great synergy with this pairing.  I do note however, that the pre-amp function of the WA2 is no longer part of the device.  I had not encountered that information anywhere in the discussions, but I may have missed it.  It is stated on the Woo Audio website.  It is a little disappointing, but headphones are my primary listening output so it’s not a big deal for me.

My initial experience with stock tubes is that the amp is perfectly quiet and tames some of the crispness of the highs in the T1s, which is only to be expected.  I have ordered a number of tubes to upgrade from the stock tubes and I patiently await their arrival and testing.  Overall, I am a very happy guy.  I may need a bib to keep the drool from staining my shirts.

Remember, it’s all about the music!

Lucifigus

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,425 of 1,750
  My new WA2 arrived today.  In anticipation of this, I have also picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s (2nd Gen).  The T1s were chosen after reading many posts here at Head-Fi, which suggested great synergy with this pairing.  I do note however, that the pre-amp function of the WA2 is no longer part of the device.  I had not encountered that information anywhere in the discussions, but I may have missed it.  It is stated on the Woo Audio website.  It is a little disappointing, but headphones are my primary listening output so it’s not a big deal for me.

My initial experience with stock tubes is that the amp is perfectly quiet and tames some of the crispness of the highs in the T1s, which is only to be expected.  I have ordered a number of tubes to upgrade from the stock tubes and I patiently await their arrival and testing.  Overall, I am a very happy guy.  I may need a bib to keep the drool from staining my shirts.

Remember, it’s all about the music!

Lucifigus

Welcome to the WA2 club!  Sorry to hear about the pre-amp outs not being part of the standard build anymore but I don't believe you'll miss them at all.  As far as the WA2, I think the unit is under-rated overall even within the Woo line.  The unit is very capable of producing audiophile and reference class presentations,and as you mentioned, is dead-quiet on the noise.  You'll need to get acquainted with the stock tubes first and let the unit burn in.  Once you start to tweak the system you will be rewarded with exceptional sound tailored to your particular tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back