The Woo Audio 2
Mar 6, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,366 of 1,750
I had the HD600, but not at the same time with the HD800.

I remember them having a lot of detail, small stage, very mellow bass.
I think most people say the HD800 is direct successor to the HD600 sound (outside the soundstage).
I had a listen to the hd600 again today with the idea of buying it however I didn't buy it.

It wouldn't get a run with my hd800 around. In fact the hd650 suited me better today than the 600 so I had nothing to buy

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #1,369 of 1,750
You know what... I just hooked up the preamp. Same initial impression. Will probably leave it alone for now and have another go at it after the break in.   I see you have the JBL's.  I used to have the JBL monitors before I moved to a full range.  Liked it very much!  I tried a lot but settled with the JBL's coz of the mids and the bass extensions - pretty impressive for a 5inch woofer.  Wanted to share my audio journey:

emo's stealth 6 - amazing detail but too analytical

JBL LSR 305's

paradigm studio 100
Hi babybruno. How have you found the bugle boys? Are you using the stock power tubes or have you changed this stage?

Have you tried the wa2 as a preamp again?

I wanted to see if you had any advice. I tried The wa2 as a preamp with the jbl lsr2325's and it worked with some music but not others. This double amping thing doesn't work enough.

I have a very revealing dac but unfortunately it has fixed output and it simply won't work by going straight from the dacs to the jbls and using software volume control. It's way too loud and the jbls were on notch 2 on the volume and it was simply not working.

The jbls are still acceptable with the focusrite 2i2 I have as the interface but is there any recommendation you might have as a relatively neutral or slightly warm pre amp that you may have used with your jbls? Were you in a similar position? Or did you use some other quality interface worth me looking at?

Thanks
Peter

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #1,370 of 1,750
Hum is gone!! Amp is now dead silent. I replaced the power tubes to ts5998 and made it even more quiet - no more weird microphonics. I just got the bugle boys today. will roll those tonight and will keep you posted.

have you tried switching the driver and the rect tubes?

not yet..i've been rolling power tubes along with stock driver and rectifier. 

I plan to replace rectifier tubes soon, and see if it gets rid of the hum. 

Did u find any noticeable difference is audio after rolling driver and rectifier tubes

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,371 of 1,750
Hi babybruno. How have you found the bugle boys? Are you using the stock power tubes or have you changed this stage?

Have you tried the wa2 as a preamp again?

I wanted to see if you had any advice. I tried The wa2 as a preamp with the jbl lsr2325's and it worked with some music but not others. This double amping thing doesn't work enough.

I have a very revealing dac but unfortunately it has fixed output and it simply won't work by going straight from the dacs to the jbls and using software volume control. It's way too loud and the jbls were on notch 2 on the volume and it was simply not working.

The jbls are still acceptable with the focusrite 2i2 I have as the interface but is there any recommendation you might have as a relatively neutral or slightly warm pre amp that you may have used with your jbls? Were you in a similar position? Or did you use some other quality interface worth me looking at?

Thanks
Peter

Hi Peter,

Now using Ts5998 and Bugleboys with stock rectifiers. Amazing how the sound quality has improved just with the 2 combination. Bugle boys are great!! It tamed the harshness of the stock drivers. Just waiting for the rft's then I should be done with it - at least for now.

The preamp is a disaster in my system. My mono's don't like it. It creates a very loud hiss + hum. The hum gets louder as the volume increases. I disconnected the source to see if the hum could be coming from the DAC but the hum didnt go away. I tried a 2 prong and the hum eliminator but didnt get rid of the hum. This rules out the ground loop in the system. It could either be compatibility between ss amp and tube preamp, or something is not right within the preamp's internal circuitry. I took a video of the problem and emailed woo audio for them to look at before I send the amp back for checkup. A little disappointed that I have a problem with the preamp considering I got the wa2 for that added feature.

In any case, I played a couple of songs using the preamp (even with the hum). The sound through the preamp didnt really grab me. It sounded a bit dark and very lose. The speakers lost its dynamics considering paradigm studios are very dynamic and sometimes bordering bright / harsh depending on the amp driving it.

Jbls studios have very good mids that are pretty warm and lush (at least to my ears). I preferred them over emos stealth which are very analytical, mackies that are tight but lacking in mids, adams which are difficult to place coz of their front ports. try switching your DAC. emo's stealth dc1 is neutral - i actually prefer it over yulong which costs more than twice. it has volume comtrols so u can technically use as preamp (caveat - DAC setting sounds better than the preamp setting in the dc1). for me the dc1 paired very nicely with my jbl studios - i think warm enough to take out the preamp in the chain. sugggest to also take advantage of the balanced xlr connection if ur DAC has one. i believe jbl studios have xlr ports. i dont think i will want to go back to rca's after trying a balanced interconnect.

i still cant comment on the preamp to amp combo coz of the hum issue. all i can say is initial impression was not exciting. it may be due to the hum issue, or i may need to get a different set of tubes to tune the preamp to pair well with my ss amp. In any case, will deal with the hum issue first. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Jay

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #1,372 of 1,750
Hi Peter,

Now using Ts5998 and Bugleboys with stock rectifiers. Amazing how the sound quality has improved just with the 2 combination. Bugle boys are great!! It tamed the harshness of the stock drivers. Just waiting for the rft's then I should be done with it - at least for now.

The preamp is a disaster in my system. My mono's don't like it. It creates a very loud hiss + hum. The hum gets louder as the volume increases. I disconnected the source to see if the hum could be coming from the DAC but the hum didnt go away. I tried a 2 prong and the hum eliminator but didnt get rid of the hum. This rules out the ground loop in the system. It could either be compatibility between ss amp and tube preamp, or something is not right within the preamp's internal circuitry. I took a video of the problem and emailed woo audio for them to look at before I send the amp back for checkup. A little disappointed that I have a problem with the preamp considering I got the wa2 for that added feature.

In any case, I played a couple of songs using the preamp (even with the hum). The sound through the preamp didnt really grab me. It sounded a bit dark and very lose. The speakers lost its dynamics considering paradigm studios are very dynamic and sometimes bordering bright / harsh depending on the amp driving it.

Jbls studios have very good mids that are pretty warm and lush (at least to my ears). I preferred them over emos stealth which are very analytical, mackies that are tight but lacking in mids, adams which are difficult to place coz of their front ports. try switching your DAC. emo's stealth dc1 is neutral - i actually prefer it over yulong which costs more than twice. it has volume comtrols so u can technically use as preamp (caveat - DAC setting sounds better than the preamp setting in the dc1). for me the dc1 paired very nicely with my jbl studios - i think warm enough to take out the preamp in the chain. sugggest to also take advantage of the balanced xlr connection if ur DAC has one. i believe jbl studios have xlr ports. i dont think i will want to go back to rca's after trying a balanced interconnect.

i still cant comment on the preamp to amp combo coz of the hum issue. all i can say is initial impression was not exciting. it may be due to the hum issue, or i may need to get a different set of tubes to tune the preamp to pair well with my ss amp. In any case, will deal with the hum issue first. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Jay

Hi Jay

i was listening to the TS5998's myself just last night. I've found that i can also use slightly brighter driver tubes (eg amperex 6922) with the TS 5998's in my set up with the hd800's and the brightness is still under control.

I've thrown away the idea of the WA2 with my jbls's (did not work well with Steely Dan that is my benchmark) and thanks to help on headfi i've ordered this dac/monitor volume controller that I hope will work.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/

My dac (metrum hex) does have xlr outputs so I'm hoping it will all come together. it does have a natural sound but I'm not sure how these close range monitors will work with a dac whose sound is very open with lots of layers that are presented very openly and wide. It may take some getting used to and my table is only so wide that they sit on. But still cant wait til it arrives.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,373 of 1,750
Hi Jay

i was listening to the TS5998's myself just last night. I've found that i can also use slightly brighter driver tubes (eg amperex 6922) with the TS 5998's in my set up with the hd800's and the brightness is still under control.

I've thrown away the idea of the WA2 with my jbls's (did not work well with Steely Dan that is my benchmark) and thanks to help on headfi i've ordered this dac/monitor volume controller that I hope will work.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/level-pilot/

My dac (metrum hex) does have xlr outputs so I'm hoping it will all come together. it does have a natural sound but I'm not sure how these close range monitors will work with a dac whose sound is very open with lots of layers that are presented very openly and wide. It may take some getting used to and my table is only so wide that they sit on. But still cant wait til it arrives.

Yes! sky's the limit with tubes! 5998 + amperex 6922's are good too (have a friend using that for his T1). For me bugle boys sounded a bit more pleasant with the hd800.

I have a bad feeling you're right on the preamp function. Wa2's preamp is a bummer! But still hoping I can tune it using different tubes - plan for later. Right now Im pretty happy with the headphone amp.

metrum hex hmmmm..... been curious about those for quite some time now. my experience with jbl studios is they sound better at least 5 feet apart. middle of the room or at least a foot away ( more if u can) from the walls front and side. start with toe in 30deg forming equilateral triangle from listening spot then adjust out to preference. use a stand (trust me you need it) or your desk will ressonate even if u use mopads. my bro uses iso acoustics and still ressonates on his desk (plus it didnt image well compared to stands). think you can get a pair of those quiklok stands for 60bucks in guitar center. you can adjust the height of the stands too so a lot of flexibility depending on the size of room and desk.

use xlr cables. mogami is great but a bit forward so not sure how that would sound with the metrum. tried the audioquest colorado - expensive and only marginal improvement (or probably just placebo)!! i use emotiva xlrs coz i use the dc1 as DAC. I wouldnt get too hung up on xlr cables as long as its decent. But get a good powerchord for dac and jbls - not those crazy overpriced chords, shunyata venoms for example are decent. i used to frown upon powerchords but was surprised when i tried - you will immediately notice clear/clean sound.

let me know how the metrum pairs with the jbls!

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,374 of 1,750
Yes! sky's the limit with tubes! 5998 + amperex 6922's are good too (have a friend using that for his T1). For me bugle boys sounded a bit more pleasant with the hd800.

I have a bad feeling you're right on the preamp function. Wa2's preamp is a bummer! But still hoping I can tune it using different tubes - plan for later. Right now Im pretty happy with the headphone amp.

metrum hex hmmmm..... been curious about those for quite some time now. my experience with jbl studios is they sound better at least 5 feet apart. middle of the room or at least a foot away ( more if u can) from the walls front and side. start with toe in 30deg forming equilateral triangle from listening spot then adjust out to preference. use a stand (trust me you need it) or your desk will ressonate even if u use mopads. my bro uses iso acoustics and still ressonates on his desk (plus it didnt image well compared to stands). think you can get a pair of those quiklok stands for 60bucks in guitar center. you can adjust the height of the stands too so a lot of flexibility depending on the size of room and desk.

use xlr cables. mogami is great but a bit forward so not sure how that would sound with the metrum. tried the audioquest colorado - expensive and only marginal improvement (or probably just placebo)!! i use emotiva xlrs coz i use the dc1 as DAC. I wouldnt get too hung up on xlr cables as long as its decent. But get a good powerchord for dac and jbls - not those crazy overpriced chords, shunyata venoms for example are decent. i used to frown upon powerchords but was surprised when i tried - you will immediately notice clear/clean sound.

let me know how the metrum pairs with the jbls!
Thanks for the info. I'll know in 2 weeks how the jbl set up goes with the hex.

The hex and wa2 go REALLY well together. Let's say "perfect" fit for me and the hd800.

Unfortunately I have no room for speaker stands but do have the mopads. In fact mopad on top of mopad. I had two pairs and the extra height is good too.

Unfortunately my desk size I'll be able, once I figure out where to sit the wa2 exactly, have the jbl's about 3-4feet apart. I'm hoping that's enough because that's all I got.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,375 of 1,750
not yet..i've been rolling power tubes along with stock driver and rectifier. 

I plan to replace rectifier tubes soon, and see if it gets rid of the hum. 

Did u find any noticeable difference is audio after rolling driver and rectifier tubes

Maheeinfy,

Did you pull out the stock drivers then reinsert them back in? My hum issue dissapeared after I did that to the stock drivers. I was guessing the pins didnt connect properly when I first inserted them. Same thing happened when I got the bugle boys. I heard an audible hiss after I inserted them so I pulled them out again then switched places left to right.

I replaced the power first then after a week the drivers. i ordered the rft ez80 coming next week. Ts 5998 + stock driver & rect immediately improved dynamics and clarity. But I felt the soundstage narrowed a bit and the highs bordering harsh. With the 5998 + bugleboys + stock rect, the sounstage widened back and tamed the highs. Will let you know next week if the sound will further improve with the rft ez80.

For me the stock tubes already sound good. But rolling the power and driver tubes made it sound so much better - addictively better! Just make sure you're rolling the recommended tubes for the type of cans. There is general consensus on this forum about which tube to roll for different types of cans - took out the guesswork and saved a lot of time and $$ in my case. Im not really into fits of constantly rolling hoping to discover the holy grail of tubes. I just feel the sound of the stock tubes can still be improved. I was surprised to hear that much improvement though. Im just glad I rolled earlier than planned otherwise I would not have realized how much more enjoyable this amp can be. Still not happy with the preamp though!!

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #1,376 of 1,750
babybruno
Hi Jay
Managed to tidy up my desk a little to get some gear arranged. I managed to get my jbl's separated with 3 1/2 feet space between them.

And it's not the ideal setup but one of my jbl's is on its mopad which is on a dac. I'll keep an eye out on the warmth of the dac. I had no other choice.

Anyway......whilst I'm waiting on the xlr connections I have my dac plugged into the jbl's via RCA.

Do you know if it's safe to connect a TS connection into the jbl trs jack? I ask as I have an RCA to TS set of interconnects I can use

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,377 of 1,750
babybruno
Hi Jay
Managed to tidy up my desk a little to get some gear arranged. I managed to get my jbl's separated with 3 1/2 feet space between them.

And it's not the ideal setup but one of my jbl's is on its mopad which is on a dac. I'll keep an eye out on the warmth of the dac. I had no other choice.

Anyway......whilst I'm waiting on the xlr connections I have my dac plugged into the jbl's via RCA.

Do you know if it's safe to connect a TS connection into the jbl trs jack? I ask as I have an RCA to TS set of interconnects I can use

Hey Peter,

3 1/2 feet should still do it. My bro has the same distance with the iso acoustics. Still sounds great but you lose a bit of the imaging.

I remember using that (rca to jack) before I got the xlrs. Should be fine but didnt really notice any improvement over rcas. Are u getting a hiss on the rcas? If not then just stick to rcas until you get the xlrs.

Jay

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,378 of 1,750
I'm trying to figure out how to improve the bass from my WA2. I'm currently using TS5998, EI ez80, and Genelex Gold Lions. It sounds okay but the bass is distorted to the point that I have to use an eq to hide it. I'm looking at a set of bugle boys, does anyone think they would improve bass control? I'm starting to lose hope with the amp...

I listen to classic rock, jazz, 80s nothing that is bass heavy

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,379 of 1,750
I'm trying to figure out how to improve the bass from my WA2. I'm currently using TS5998, EI ez80, and Genelex Gold Lions. It sounds okay but the bass is distorted to the point that I have to use an eq to hide it. I'm looking at a set of bugle boys, does anyone think they would improve bass control? I'm starting to lose hope with the amp...

I listen to classic rock, jazz, 80s nothing that is bass heavy
Bugle boys are slightly warm. A little rolled off on the highs.

I also have Siemens Cca tubes. They have quite a lot if detail and are extended on BOTH ends. So you'll get more detailed bass (not boomy) and elongated highs. And work good with the ts5998

The other trick that I use is a pair of Bendix 6080 wb slotted graphite tubes. These are hard to come by so just be patient.
These are a great addition for what you might be after. These are somewhat punchier than the ts5998s and warmer overall it still good level of detail.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #1,380 of 1,750
Maheeinfy,

Did you pull out the stock drivers then reinsert them back in? My hum issue dissapeared after I did that to the stock drivers. I was guessing the pins didnt connect properly when I first inserted them. Same thing happened when I got the bugle boys. I heard an audible hiss after I inserted them so I pulled them out again then switched places left to right.

I replaced the power first then after a week the drivers. i ordered the rft ez80 coming next week. Ts 5998 + stock driver & rect immediately improved dynamics and clarity. But I felt the soundstage narrowed a bit and the highs bordering harsh. With the 5998 + bugleboys + stock rect, the sounstage widened back and tamed the highs. Will let you know next week if the sound will further improve with the rft ez80.

For me the stock tubes already sound good. But rolling the power and driver tubes made it sound so much better - addictively better! Just make sure you're rolling the recommended tubes for the type of cans. There is general consensus on this forum about which tube to roll for different types of cans - took out the guesswork and saved a lot of time and $$ in my case. Im not really into fits of constantly rolling hoping to discover the holy grail of tubes. I just feel the sound of the stock tubes can still be improved. I was surprised to hear that much improvement though. Im just glad I rolled earlier than planned otherwise I would not have realized how much more enjoyable this amp can be. Still not happy with the preamp though!!

Appreciate the response.

Unfortunately swapping driver tubes didn't resolve my hum issue. I cant go past 11' clock on volume, luckily i dont listen to music loud, so it hasn't been much of an issue.

My current stock driver and rectifier with RCA 6AS7G is very enjoyable with T1. How did u like the rft EZ80 tubes? Did they affect the hum in anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back