The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #6,796 of 7,980
Quote:
I am also interested in what sounds good with an 8A (and 4A) - I use an iPhone 5 for the most part and since I use it a lot in business, I don't think I want to rubber band an amp to it. What I would like is to find the best (and reasonably priced) portable solution. I am not looking for the ultimate - just a DAP with enough power to open up the sound on the 8A's. Or a recommendation on a slim amp that could be attached to an iPod Classic (I like the idea of 160GB of music) The FIIO X3 sounds like it might work - it would be nice to have amp/DAP in one unit without spending $900 for a AK100 or DX100. Sorry to talk about this on the Heir thread, but these are the IEM's I will be looking to drive.

I must say it is an interesting feeling to know that my impressions are done and in the hands of Heir Audio as well as my IEM's and it is all paid for - I know I am in for a treat. If you look at my current equipment, it is obvious I am  stepping up... now I have to clean up all my music.

I also have to admit that I need to learn about all the different formats of digital media - I use lossless because I have iTunes - 99.99% of my music is from CD - is there a better format to rip it into than lossless?

We've similar questions in the core: what are some dap/dac/amp combinations that has very good synergy with Heir 8A/4A.

IMO, these questions shouldn't be out of context of this thread. Would love to hear from Heir audio C/IEM owner what dap/amp they are using and their impression on the synergy.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #6,797 of 7,980
Hold your horses guys - if you can. With the Fiio X3 and the DX50 just around the corner, it looks like May will be a very exciting month!

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #6,798 of 7,980
Hold your horses guys - if you can. With the Fiio X3 and the DX50 just around the corner, it looks like May will be a very exciting month!

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #6,801 of 7,980
Quote:
Thanks, Lee - I wasn't sure. I am using lossless, not a lossy format. Please correct me if I am wrong - the best way to get your music is from the original CD - not an iTunes download - or an Amazon download - or an old Napster file... CD is the best source.

Well generally CD but if you have lossless downloads as well and they are verified then it should be fine as well.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #6,802 of 7,980
Quote:
Well generally CD but if you have lossless downloads as well and they are verified then it should be fine as well.

Lee, 

What about the 24/96 standard? Is this a different format? Where do you buy that type of music and do you think it makes a difference in a mobile environment. 

If it is, I'll be like Agent K in the first "Men In Black" film - where he says "I guess I'll have to buy The White Album again 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #6,803 of 7,980

Lee, 

What about the 24/96 standard? Is this a different format? Where do you buy that type of music and do you think it makes a difference in a mobile environment. 

If it is, I'll be like Agent K in the first "Men In Black" film - where he says "I guess I'll have to buy The White Album again :darthsmile:

That's just bit-depth and sample rate. You can have those in your standard FLAC and ALAC files just fine, though I imagine WAV and AIFF would be more common (both are standard and well supported).

Also, I'd say a digital lossless source will likely be better than a CD if for no better reason than CD's get damaged and degrade with time. Digital files don't. OK, they do, but not nearly to the same degree and a good filesystem (ZFS, for example) will remove that problem but I'm getting pedantic.

Oh, and there's a lot of debate about just how important 24/96 is for audio fidelity. I would go out of your way to upgrade your entire library or re-buy things you have that are lossless. If you need to upgrade an album and it's a particular favorite then go for it, otherwise just get lossless and save yourself the trouble.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6,804 of 7,980
We've similar questions in the core: what are some dap/dac/amp combinations that has very good synergy with Heir 8A/4A.

IMO, these questions shouldn't be out of context of this thread. Would love to hear from Heir audio C/IEM owner what dap/amp they are using and their impression on the synergy.

They aren't out of context in my opinion but you never know. People talked about the fit of their Heir CIEMs here before and they were hounded for being off topic. It's generally fine in other threads. Important thing is to have some form of 'appreciation' about Heir and you'd be alright lol.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #6,805 of 7,980
I have to say this, I just hate the pins in the heir iems. My 3.ai was one of the first 50 built, and I've sent it back to them due to a pin issue. Actually I;ve sent them back about a few weeks ago, but have gotten no reply back in spite of the numerous emails I've sent to treoo. Yea its not heir's fault blah blah blah because it's treoo who shld be contacting me.

What happened to my 3.ai was that the pin sockets do not grip the pins, resulting in the cable losing grip and hence intermittent sound. Also, the cable will just detach itself away from the iem when I've placed it in my UE gun metal casing. This cable issue have troubled me for a long time, and hence made me fear hear audio's other iems. I know no one else but me have this issue, so do not let me affect your confidence with heir, but I honestly have to say I do not dare to order any other iems from heir until I'm extremely sure my 3.ai is doing well.
Its not just the cable issue, but the acrylic on the left iem have peeled off. What I mean is that on the wood surface, you can see and feel the acrylic lifted away from the faceplate. I've shot an email to wizard yonks ago, and he insisted that I've must have dropped the iem, when I can swear that nothing of that sort has happened. Of course I felt blamed for something I didn't do, and my confidence in heir dropped once again.
Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for heir for their line of products with great sound as well as beautiful work. But On this particular set of iem, I feel betrayed and that my product has failed to live up to its expectations.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #6,806 of 7,980
I have to say this, I just hate the pins in the heir iems. My 3.ai was one of the first 50 built, and I've sent it back to them due to a pin issue. Actually I;ve sent them back about a few weeks ago, but have gotten no reply back in spite of the numerous emails I've sent to treoo. Yea its not heir's fault blah blah blah because it's treoo who shld be contacting me.

What happened to my 3.ai was that the pin sockets do not grip the pins, resulting in the cable losing grip and hence intermittent sound. Also, the cable will just detach itself away from the iem when I've placed it in my UE gun metal casing. This cable issue have troubled me for a long time, and hence made me fear hear audio's other iems. I know no one else but me have this issue, so do not let me affect your confidence with heir, but I honestly have to say I do not dare to order any other iems from heir until I'm extremely sure my 3.ai is doing well.
Its not just the cable issue, but the acrylic on the left iem have peeled off. What I mean is that on the wood surface, you can see and feel the acrylic lifted away from the faceplate. I've shot an email to wizard yonks ago, and he insisted that I've must have dropped the iem, when I can swear that nothing of that sort has happened. Of course I felt blamed for something I didn't do, and my confidence in heir dropped once again.
Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for heir for their line of products with great sound as well as beautiful work. But On this particular set of iem, I feel betrayed and that my product has failed to live up to its expectations.

i have the same issue with regards to the pins on my 4ai, after i plugged the magnus 1 cable in, the original cable pins will just drop out when i tried to switch back to it. Similarly, i bought it from Treoo too, Want to ask for replacement or refund? haha

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #6,807 of 7,980
Quote:

I also had the same experience for the pin on my 8a
Some of my cable didnt grip well and will slip out easily after i remove the magnus (this happen the first time i tried to change the cable on the 8a so im really sure its not my fault because it already happen on the first day i received my 8a not because i changed my cable too often).
I ask heir about it and they recommend to flatten the pin and it works well

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #6,808 of 7,980
I'm glad we are sharing horror stories, but this is an Appreciation thread. I'm sure you both have valid reasons to be somewhat disappointed, but I'm sure if your IEMs are still under warranty and you are the original owner, Heir will take care of you.

May 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6,810 of 7,980
Quote:
I'm glad we are sharing horror stories, but this is an Appreciation thread. I'm sure you both have valid reasons to be somewhat disappointed, but I'm sure if your IEMs are still under warranty and you are the original owner, Heir will take care of you.

I consider this a thread to talk about things related to Heir Audio. Anything regarding Heir Audio, negative or positive, I believe, should be posted in this thread for everyone to see. So people don't go in thinking there item will be perfect. Where should this post belong then? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back