The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6,616 of 7,980
Quote:

Not to mention that the be all and end all tests are subjective too. Unless the IEM shape itself is the same, made of the same material, size etc, without having any physical difference but for the interior, people would be able to tell the difference :wink:

Like I said, not having a dig at you at all. Visual stimuli is just one thing out of many other variables. But good to know they have the same preference as you! :)

Of course the different tips are accounted for lol... And people don't know what's supposed to be more expensive or cheap just by feeling the shape of the earphones when blindfolded. If it's not done right, it can be subjective but even then, it's by far the most reliable method of testing. And from my experience, I have found that statistical significance in judging audio product rarely ever happens but did happen with the 4ai :D

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #6,617 of 7,980
The 4.Ai is not a headphone that will blow you away from the first listen, but over time they grow on you. At least that's how it happened to me. I have found that the headphones that impress me wildly from the first note always end up in the F/S section when I grow tired of the things that impressed me at first. The Ultrasone Pro 900 is a fine example of this, as is the 3.Ai. Both are hella fun, but I eventually I got tired of the sparkly highs and booming lows, as I often listen for extended periods at a time. If your use of headphones is rocking out for an hour, The 3.Ai or Pro 900 might be your favorite headphones of all time. 

Thank you, Poetic, for sharing your honest opinion and bringing attention to the fact that there is no such thing as a headphone that's perfect for everyone 
smile.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #6,618 of 7,980
Id second that. I had the exact same experience with my 4a. There was an initial disappointment "these dont sound as good as my merlins" but, given more listening time they grew and grew on me. I reach for my 4a's before the merlin 9 times out of 10 now.

Its funny, i think the same can be said for music. The albums that i like immediately will normally tire very quickly. I have a rule not to judge an album till i've heard it at least a dozen times :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #6,619 of 7,980
That's the reason I like trying out symphonic works on new IEMs :D. Bass or treble dominant models as Sorensiim says always tend to give me (as well as seriously midcentric ones) the wow factor and so listening to vocals exaggerates my bias but then with well recorded symphonic works, you test the full potential of an IEM and how detailed and expansive it can be. In this regard the 4ai really impressed me. 
size]

Lets see how long it takes Poetic to grow on the 4ai if he does. :p

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #6,620 of 7,980
I'm not sure if anyone listens to post-rock or progressive rock, but how does the 4Ai handle this type of music? 

At first I was leaning towards the 5.0 for the bass, but I realized that if I'm only going to be using IEM when I'm studying, I should be focusing it towards those music. I'll leave the bass hungry songs for my He-500 
tongue.gif

I generally listen to piano and acoustic guitar when I'm studying, but lately I've also been listening to this type of music 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgc9g7OB6Jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdiY6kijYHE

Thanks for the help everyone

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #6,621 of 7,980
What I love the 4.Ai is its neutral, accurate and clear sounding. Bass is definitely not light. Treble is the area that could be improved IMO, not saying it's bad. Excellent for orchestral work and chamber music. When it comes to symphonies, I prefer the airy sounding of my EX1000. That breeze of fresh air is the signature of the EX1000.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #6,622 of 7,980
Quote:
What I love the 4.Ai is its neutral, accurate and clear sounding. Bass is definitely not light. Treble is the area that could be improved IMO, not saying it's bad. Excellent for orchestral work and chamber music. When it comes to symphonies, I prefer the airy sounding of my EX1000. That breeze of fresh air is the signature of the EX1000.

Bass is not light? How low can you hear with the 4ai's in the frequency spectrum? Mine will shut off at like 20 Hz. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #6,623 of 7,980
Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone listens to post-rock or progressive rock, but how does the 4Ai handle this type of music? 

This is purely my own opinion from using the 4A and not the 4Ai: I think it is okay with prog rock, but generally for the rock music I listen to, I do wish there is a more bass emphasis and more sparkle in how the sound of the drumkit (snare, cymbals etc) are reproduced.

Then again I do not know whether a tighter fit of the shells would change anything. My pair of 4A fits right, I do not think there is anything wrong with the fit per se... but my 1964 Ears V6 fits noticably tighter.

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #6,624 of 7,980
Quote:

Could you elaborate what you mean by 'airy sounding'? 

PS D minor is my favourite key :D

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #6,628 of 7,980
I have heard, but this has not been comfirmed, that Keyser Soze will be attending the London meet on April 27.

Protect your children, and approach with extreme caution:

The two known photos are:

1) Sketch

Computerized enhancement suggest that he may look like

2) Photo

Computerized enhancement suggest that he may look like:

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #6,630 of 7,980
Quote:

Hmm, sounds like Heir Audio could use a vented dynamic driver earphone in its lineup... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back