The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #6,467 of 7,980
debating on getting the 4.A and or the 8.a. Was wondering if the 8.a a real clear step above the 4.a and if the 8.a justify the price difference.

4.A if you want great accuracy. 8.A if you want a natural, full sound. I'd say the 8.A is a step up from the 4.A in a number of ways when it comes to just raw ability, but if you want accuracy above all else I'd actually go with the 4.A

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #6,468 of 7,980
My pair... The buckeye burl really comes out different in different pairs. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #6,470 of 7,980
id totally suggest the 8.A .. it definately fits the bill :)

Agreed. To me, the 8.A is the headphone to end all headphones, but your mileage may vary. Be sure to check out the reviews, if the HE-6 is your favorite full size, you might find the 8.A to be too warm for your taste. It sounds more like the LCD2 and the HE500 :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #6,471 of 7,980
Quote:
they r different in the sound sig, the 4.A is more refrence type i think, more accurate and the 8.A is a warm, lush musical type, so there is no question of a step up, but most people think there will be a jump in the sound so they end up choosing the 8.A which is a fantastic iem in its own right, ur not going wrong with either, all depends on what sort of sound your looking for and your budget. :)

Would the 8A be warm like an HD 650? 

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6,472 of 7,980
Quote:
Would the 8A be warm like an HD 650? 

To my ears, the HD650 sounds very lush and more intimate.  The 8.A, on the other hand, actually sounds more expansive with a larger soundstage, with better extended highs and much more bass emphasis.  They both have rolled off highs, however, but the HD650's highs are much more "veiled."

They're both extremely coherent where every part of the sound frequency blends together very well.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,473 of 7,980
Quote:

To my ears, the HD650 sounds very lush and more intimate.  The 8.A, on the other hand, actually sounds more expansive with a larger soundstage, with better extended highs and much more bass emphasis.  They both have rolled off highs, however, but the HD650's highs are much more "veiled."

They're both extremely coherent where every part of the sound frequency blends together very well.

soundstage? How can a monitor get better soundstage than an open headphone? 

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #6,475 of 7,980
Quote:
Quote:

soundstage? How can a monitor get better soundstage than an open headphone? 

Look at Grado's, there open, but have close to no soundstage IMO.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #6,477 of 7,980
I've heard from multiple people who said 8.A is actually bloated with overpowering bass and that's part of the reason I was thrown off the IE80's. I like Good bass, real bass, but not a fan of drowning bass. Then I read Average Joes review, who said the sound signature actually makes up for it.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #6,479 of 7,980
I've heard from multiple people who said 8.A is actually bloated with overpowering bass and that's part of the reason I was thrown off the IE80's. I like Good bass, real bass, but not a fan of drowning bass. Then I read Average Joes review, who said the sound signature actually makes up for it.

As I said, the difference between the 4.A and the 8.A is accurate sound and natural sound. One can at times feel a little clinical where the other will feel warm and inviting. However, there is a dark side to such sound in that bad recordings, where bass isn't well reproduced, things can sound muddy and the bass can start to over-power. The 4.A is a bit more forgiving with bass than the 8.A is, in that regard. If the recording is of good quality (high bitrate and just a solid studio recording) then the bass will feel full and textured and it will permeate the space but not in a way that overpowers the other frequencies.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6,480 of 7,980
Quote:

Sources will play a roll in that but the 8As generally didn't sound bloated to me. Regarding the IE80s I did the tape mode and silver cable and they became very balanced and pleasing with the mod. The problem with the 8As was finding the right source to get their full potential (synergy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back