The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Mar 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #6,227 of 7,980
Quote:
Work more or eat less
wink.gif

it should be work more and eat less

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #6,229 of 7,980
Just a quick heads up, here's a website for those of you who'd like to calculate import duties beforehand :)

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #6,234 of 7,980
Well I just hooked up my 4A.i to a Fiios E11 and WOW it really makes these IEM's come alive... not to say they werent alive before, but it really gives the music a whole new presence. I suggest you guys try and amp these things up and see what results you get.. it cant hurt to try and it definatly doesnt hurt the sound!

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #6,237 of 7,980
Not to be dismissive of your amp Dr Moulton but until you or someone behind the design of that amp finally posts some specs or at the very least seasoned head-fiers who are trusted by the community start posting their impressions not many people on here will take that amp seriously. Nobody knows anything about it except it's a Heir product and the amp was designed out of shop.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #6,238 of 7,980
Quote:
Not to be dismissive of your amp Dr Moulton but until you or someone behind the design of that amp finally posts some specs or at the very least seasoned head-fiers who are trusted by the community start posting their impressions not many people on here will take that amp seriously. Nobody knows anything about it except it's a Heir product and the amp was designed out of shop.

Email Heir for more info. Wizard didn't design the amp but the folks who did (Dr. Tao and co. I believe) should be able to provide some more information. 

I am not 'seasoned' here by any stretch of the imagination, but I am extremely happy with the amp, and use them with the 4ai. I have not cracked it open to see what opamps are socketed, but the soundstage is really impressive (at least compared to the C241, D1, and Total Airhead), and it is totally silent. No sound floor or hiss of any kind. The volume pot is nicely damped and there does not seem to be and low volume channel imbalance (if there is it happens before you hear any sound from the iem). Add to that a very unique look and at least this customer is happy with the purchase. Sure there are smaller amps and cheaper amps, but for me, I am happy.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #6,239 of 7,980
Quote:

Email Heir for more info. Wizard didn't design the amp but the folks who did (Dr. Tao and co. I believe) should be able to provide some more information. 

I am not 'seasoned' here by any stretch of the imagination, but I am extremely happy with the amp, and use them with the 4ai. I have not cracked it open to see what opamps are socketed, but the soundstage is really impressive (at least compared to the C241, D1, and Total Airhead), and it is totally silent. No sound floor or hiss of any kind. The volume pot is nicely damped and there does not seem to be and low volume channel imbalance (if there is it happens before you hear any sound from the iem). Add to that a very unique look and at least this customer is happy with the purchase. Sure there are smaller amps and cheaper amps, but for me, I am happy.

Did your amp bring any extra opamps?

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #6,240 of 7,980
Quote:

Did your amp bring any extra opamps?

When I ordered I did not ask if there were any opamp options nor did I actually ask what opamp is inside. I suppose some people would purchase or not purchase an amp based on what circuitry is inside. I had a lengthy email dialog with Heir about the amp before I ordered, and was confident that the product they were putting out (I pre-ordered when there was only a beta unit in existence) was going to be of very high quality. 

Yes, is is twice the thickness of the C241, but for literally ten times the battery life of the smaller amp I am willing to carry a thicker box (and the carbon fibre plates look amazing). This is the darkest and most transparent amp I own, and it definitely has the widest soundstage by a fair margin. It is a straight up analog amp, nothing fancy, no DAC or USB or anything, but for what it is, it is very good. 

I have not personally opened the Rendition 1 case. I am told that the opamps are socketed so one could theoretically replace them. 

You all may feel free to take away my provisional 'Audiophile' card, but I am happy with what I have, and do not feel the need to tinker further with the amp as it currently exists. 

I would encourage anyone here to PM or email the Heir team, they are more than willing to answer questions. 

I will answer any questions you all have for me since I may be the first one with a Rendition 1 posting here. I have maybe 10 hours listening to it, so these are all initial impressions only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back