The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Mar 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #6,166 of 7,980
Quote:
meiaen, Yuceka: You are aware, that the manufacturer's "warranty" is optional, whereas the seller's warranty is mandatory in almost every country? Who was the seller in this case? Was it a business or a private person?

Yes I am aware of that, I've studied law :) 

Like I said, I think, meiaen should contact the person and deal with him directly since Heir's policy on this is a non-transferrable one. I've just never heard of or experienced anything like this with my purchases from other companies. "How many owners has the product had?" is a question that I have never heard of but it makes sense from Heir's perspective as it is their policy. Also a non-transferrable warranty and the Porsche analogy doesn't really apply in this case. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #6,167 of 7,980
popcorn.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #6,168 of 7,980
It's non transferable like every Shure, Westone, UE and Monster etc. What's so hard to understand? Even if transferable, proof of purchase is still in effect as any purchase outside a dealer network never had a warranty to begin with and without consumer recourse. Here we have a consumer with something that works fine who wants a new pair after purchasing at a used price.

Return them to who you bought them from if misrepresented or enjoy what you got.

We've now got 2 seperate threads mucked up by the same issue. Mission accomplished.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #6,169 of 7,980
Quote:
It's non transferable like every Shure, Westone, UE and Monster etc. What's so hard to understand? Even if transferable, proof of purchase is still in effect as any purchase outside a dealer network never had a warranty to begin with and without consumer recourse. Here we have a consumer with something that works fine who wants a new pair after purchasing at a used price.

Return them to who you bought them from if misrepresented or enjoy what you got.

We've now got 2 seperate threads mucked up by the same issue. Mission accomplished.

Shure and Westone? I had a similar situation like the one we're discussing, and they repaired the pair with no questions asked. First one was a Westone UM3X and the other one was Shure 215 Why did they do that? Because they didn't have a non-transferrable warranty policy. Please do your research before commenting. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #6,170 of 7,980
*sigh* 

Guys, if you go read the warranty details on the heir audio website, it's *right there*. 

Now, can we please go get back to discussing the IEM's and sound.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,171 of 7,980
I understand the hesitancy to warranty IEMs that have changed multiple hands, but what about IEMs that are bought strictly as gifts for others? How would you determine the original ownership in that case? Maybe with an online owner registration process?

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #6,172 of 7,980
Quote:
Shure and Westone? I had a similar situation like the one we're discussing, and they repaired the pair with no questions asked. First one was a Westone UM3X and the other one was Shure 215 Why did they do that? Because they didn't have a non-transferrable warranty policy. Please do your research before commenting. 

Perhaps you should do some research before testing me on it. Here, I'll do it for you.

http://www.westone.com/music/index.php/support/warranty.html
"This warranty is available only to the original purchaser, and only if purchased from an authorized Westone distributor or reseller.'

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3348/~/what-is-the-warranty-on-shure-earphones%3F "A valid purchase receipt from an authorized dealer is required for warranty service on all Shure earphones."

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/footer/terms-of-use?id=3101&wt.mc_id=usym_redirect_/warranty "Logitech warrants to the original purchaser"

They either chose to accomidate you or assumed that they weren't 2nd hand. You also may have had something that may have been a known defect that they chose to honor regardless as opposed to something considered acceptable leaving their door in the first place.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #6,173 of 7,980
Quote:
I understand the hesitancy to warranty IEMs that have changed multiple hands, but what about IEMs that are bought strictly as gifts for others? How would you determine the original ownership in that case? Maybe with an online owner registration process?

Request a gift reciept? It's a valid concern but here it's known as used and the original owner didn't consider them defective.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #6,174 of 7,980
Quote:

Limited Product Warranty

Universal Products

Westone warrants this product to be free of defects in material or workmanship for a period of two (2) years from the date of original retail purchase. This warranty is available only to the original purchaser, and only if purchased from an authorized Westone distributor or reseller.

Research done, & the Shure warranty requests original reciept for warranty service. Lets also compare apples to apples here. 

1) Shure and Westone are multi-million dollar firms. (Heir Audio is far from that)
2) The UM3X, and Shure 215 are made from pre-fabricated parts, allowing for fabrication times that can be measured in minutes. (The fabrication time for an Heir Audio hand made IEM is over 3 hrs)

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #6,175 of 7,980
I don't remember saying anything about claiming warranty without a receipt. In both cases, they were sold by me and the problems developed later. As they were under warranty, the people who bought them from me asked me to send them a digital copy of the receipt. After that, they got their problems fixed, in which case a second owner of a product ended up taking advantage of the warranty. 

It's funny that I am being lectured here against my own testimony but again you're free not to believe it. 

I am a supporter of Heir Audio and am waiting for my own pair, I'm not saying these to malign the company or anything. I made only two points and I don't understand why they are so hard to understand 

a) I've never heard of or experienced a used product not being eligible for warranty. 
b) The person who made the complaint should take it up with the person who sold them to him. I believe he should have checked Heir's policy on warranty on the website first. Second, he should have looked at the pictures of the iems before actually making any payment. Third, now if he is displeased, he should return them to the person who sold them. However it is a legitimate criticism that this policy will or can have an effect on the resale of Heir's universals or the person buying them again should be alerted that he or she is not going to take advantage of the warranty due to Heir's policy. After all it's Heir's policy and they can do whatever they want with their products. 

Is this clear now? This has taken longer than necessary and I'm done with answering any more snarky posts. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #6,176 of 7,980
I can see both sides on this, but I think we need to examine our thinking on the "universal" Heir products. So far people have compared them to other universal models like Shure and Westone. Even though the stated warranty says they aren't covered, those companies are sometimes willing to go beyond that for an "undocumented" customer. But the Heir 4.Ai and Tzar 350 etc are actually closer to custom IEMs than they are to universals with mass produced shells. I can guarantee that Westone, JH, UM, or any other custom IEM company is not going to offer any warranty support for a 2nd hand custom IEM. Period. Some, like UM or 1964 Ears, might offer to reshell it (for a price of course) since that's a service they offer or have offered in the past. But Westone or JH or ACS or Sensaphonics or most others will certainly not. 

Wizard bends over backwards for our frequent and often unique problems. But he does have to draw a line somewhere. I think this is a reasonable place to do so. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #6,177 of 7,980
Well it is good to know that the warranty is non-transferable. Thing is that is gonna really hurt the resale value of their Universal IEMs and in that may make purchasing them (even a new pair) a harder decision....

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #6,178 of 7,980
Quote:
Well it is good to know that the warranty is non-transferable. Thing is that is gonna really hurt the resale value of their Universal IEMs and in that may make purchasing them (even a new pair) a harder decision....

But the same thing applies many headphones - see AKG as an example where it specifically states the warranty is "for the original purchaser only", or beyerdynamic where it states "This guarantee is valid for two (2) years from the date of purchase of brand-new, unused products by the original end user". I could go on but honestly, it seems like folks are expecting more from Heir than what we get from most other brands. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #6,179 of 7,980
And how will Heir(or any other company) find out it that you are not original owner? Imagine situation:
1) you bought used universal Heir,
2) something went wrong
3) you contact original owner and he sends you copy of order
4) you contact Heir asking for repair and send them copy of original order

How can Heir find out and prove, that you are not original owner?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #6,180 of 7,980
Quote:

But the same thing applies many headphones - see AKG as an example where it specifically states the warranty is "for the original purchaser only", or beyerdynamic where it states "This guarantee is valid for two (2) years from the date of purchase of brand-new, unused products by the original end user". I could go on but honestly, it seems like folks are expecting more from Heir than what we get from most other brands. 

If that is the case I'm sure the original owner could help the buyer to get them replaced as long as the buyer pays the shipping. In that case I don't think they could find any recourse to deny the claim. Plus as what the poster said above. I think there really isn't much the vendors can do to verify whether or not the item is indeed second hand or not. As long as the original receipt is supplied that is. That is also another reason I'm a bit surprised about this as I've never had such issues before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back