The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #5,731 of 7,980
Quote:
Hmm. I'm starting to think the UHA-6S Mk.II isn't a good pair for the 8.A. I kept it on low gain and, while it didn't hiss, I felt like I was missing out on some of the bass. I thought it might be a seal issue but I switched the gain to the high setting just on the off chance (with the volume way down). The end result? So much more depth. However, now there's hiss, even though it's low level.

That's weird, with mine I drive everything from a W4, Sony EX600, K2 sp UE700, which are all very sensitive, to a 600 ohm AKG K240 with no issues. Maybe you have a bad amp?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #5,732 of 7,980
Quote:
That's weird, with mine I drive everything from a W4, Sony EX600, K2 sp UE700, which are all very sensitive, to a 600 ohm AKG K240 with no issues. Maybe you have a bad amp?

Well it also could depend on what he is feeding the amp. On high gain I could detect hiss depending on what I was using it with but that was from the source.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #5,733 of 7,980
Well, my results can really only speak for the amp section, using it just as a headphone amp. It is certainly a good match to the 8.A. No hiss. So I wouldn't write the UHA/8.A off as a "bad match". Quite the opposite in my experience. Perhaps with different sources, different results? Hmm. I personally don't use the DAC day to day so not a lot of experience there.

I am sure a Dacport LX and R1 would be worth a spin! Maybe a great setup?

Doug did you have the same hiss problem with the 4.A (before they were jacked)?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #5,734 of 7,980
Quote:
Well, my results can really only speak for the amp section, using it just as a headphone amp. It is certainly a good match to the 8.A. No hiss. So I wouldn't write the UHA/8.A off as a "bad match". Quite the opposite in my experience. Perhaps with different sources, different results? Hmm. I personally don't use the DAC day to day so not a lot of experience there.

I am sure a Dacport LX and R1 would be worth a spin! Maybe a great setup?

I barely ever use the DAC on mine. I have it currently paired with a CLAS -db and that combo I really like. I use it both on the go and as my home rig.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #5,735 of 7,980
Quote:
I don't use it for portable, though I'd keep it around for that purpose when travelling. While not ideal in terms of sound, my iPhone 5 drives the 8.A well enough for the 20 minutes it takes me to get to and from work that convenience wins out.

So my use is MacBook Pro -> BitPerfect.app -> UHA-6S Mk.II -> 8.A

I've seen a few options that interest me. The R1 with that micro USB-DAC might be an awesome pair for at work and I could take the R1 with me while travelling.

I'm also thinking of replacing my home unit with a W7 seeing as it sounds like it would work great with both my HE-500 and my 8.A. My annual bonus hits next month as well as any raise I might be getting. I have a long list of purchases (new computer, new apartment) but more audio gear is on that list, too.

I'm doing something rather silly: I'm trying to find a 'perfect' setup so I can settle for a few years and not have to keep buying new stuff. That's part of the reason I sprang for both the 8.A and the HE-500, both are of a high-enough grade that I don't need to worry about replacing them. With any luck, the next round of AMP/DAC purchases will see me similarly set.

Maybe try contacting CEntrance to see if you can still get in on the HiFi-M8 pre-order? It looks to be a high end DAC/Amp with enough versatility to be used with a wide variety of phones in varying situations.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #5,736 of 7,980
Quote:
You are better off sending the impressions to their UK headquarters for evaluation first. That will save you both time and money. Just in case the impressions are rejected it will take a lot less time to find that out from the UK office than having to wait for them to make it to China and then possibly being rejected....

This caused a delay of 6 weeks ("Royal" mail/China customs) for me.. You decide which is better.:wink:

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #5,737 of 7,980
You are better off sending the impressions to their UK headquarters for evaluation first. That will save you both time and money. Just in case the impressions are rejected it will take a lot less time to find that out from the UK office than having to wait for them to make it to China and then possibly being rejected....

Not always, lets be clear...   The UK office is not a UPS service center etc. Heir Audio UK will ship bulk shipments to Chengdu HQ when there are enough packages to justify shipping to HQ. The USA office is ran the same way as well, some customers prefer this, some customers would rather ship direct to HQ....  either way it is up to the customer.

Wizard

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 1, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #5,738 of 7,980
Quote:
This caused a delay of 6 weeks ("Royal" mail/China customs) for me.. You decide which is better.:wink:

"Royal" mail 
tongue_smile.gif
 Will Frank be using Royal mail?? Because in my case my impressions took over 3 weeks to reach Heir when I used them... 

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #5,740 of 7,980
Quote:
Hmm. I'm starting to think the UHA-6S Mk.II isn't a good pair for the 8.A. I kept it on low gain and, while it didn't hiss, I felt like I was missing out on some of the bass. I thought it might be a seal issue but I switched the gain to the high setting just on the off chance (with the volume way down). The end result? So much more depth. However, now there's hiss, even though it's low level.

Talking about hiss, I get a constant hiss on high gain even with no source plugged in with my 4.A. I don't actually ever listen on high gain, so it's not a problem for me, but it is there.

Incidentally, I can also hear some hiss with my laptop and desktop headphone jacks (bad), phone (bad) and even Clip+ (slight). Rather surprisingly, at my preferred volume levels my digital piano actually doesn't hiss.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #5,742 of 7,980
Quote:
Guess that makes me the last one in UK to pay almost 200 quid for VAT/customs.:wink: My 8.A should be here by Monday next week.

No, anyone in Europe that orders CIEMs from Heir will still be hit by import duties and taxes as before, since all CIEMs and "+" universal versions will be shipped from China, as before...

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5,744 of 7,980
Mimouille said:
Let me know if that endeavour is successful :wink:

Don't hold your breath, I'm not. :D

Not that I remember, no.

I barely ever use the DAC on mine. I have it currently paired with a CLAS -db and that combo I really like. I use it both on the go and as my home rig.

That seems to be a pretty common thing for UHA-6S mk.II users, from what I hear. I wonder if the DAC section is what's holding me back... I don't have the right cable to test the analogue in but I might just do that. That way I could bypass the DAC and replace it with something better.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #5,745 of 7,980
Quote:

Not always, lets be clear...   The UK office is not a UPS service center etc. Heir Audio UK will ship bulk shipments to Chengdu HQ when there are enough packages to justify shipping to HQ. The USA office is ran the same way as well, some customers prefer this, some customers would rather ship direct to HQ....  either way it is up to the customer.

Wizard

Hi

Got any contact details for Heir uk such as email please?  Was wondering how much the 3ai's would be ordering from over here.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back