The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Feb 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,951 of 7,980
 Mine don't dissapear.  While I am trying to work the 8a's keep calling attention to themselves with all of this detail and and bass and things I have never heard before that I close my eyes and get nothing done.  I have to go back the the TF-10 reshells to be productive without distraction and then I just sit there and wish I was wearing the 8a's.  Tough dilemma to be in, no?

They physically disappear - taking my productivity with them.

Are 8.A's thatttttttt good?

Without a doubt. Mine were $1200 and I seriously consider that my best head-fi purchase. Worth every penny.

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #4,954 of 7,980
This came on Thursday.  It is in a package waiting to connect the Heir 8a to the Centrance HiFi M8 when it becomes available.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #4,957 of 7,980
Is this from Chris of HeadPhone Lounge (HPL) Audio?

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #4,958 of 7,980
I assume it's a male 4-pin XLR, for a balanced (or "balanced") amplifier. I'm used to seeing an Auto-IRIS (RSA,ALO) or HIROSE (iBasso) connector used for that purpose for IEMs.

I'd mostly be worried about how short that cable is -- an inline XLR plug connection is not lightweight. It won't be comfortable to have the connector hanging from your ears.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #4,959 of 7,980
Hi and thanks for all of the comments.

It is a 4 pin XLR which is how I specified the amp to be provided from Centrance.

If I plug it into a wall it will surely void the warranty.  (I know you were joking but I want you to believe that I am not that dumb.  But, all that power....hmmmm.  120 volts x 20 amps = 2,400 watts at 60hz = KABOOM, MELT, SHOCK!)

It was built by Ted from Headphone Lounge using the silver cable.  I have experience with Ted's cables and in my opinion they are top notch.  Excellent sound and very sturdy.  The difference that it made on my re-shelled TF-10's was exceptional and I have no doubt that it will be exactly what I am expecting in terms of sound quality.     

It is not as short as it might appear from the picture, 48 inches in overall length. 

The XLR may look heavy but the entire cable is surprisingly light in overall weight (and I am a big strong boy).  Also I plan on using a shirt clip, the Plantronics two part plastic clip -  one side of the clip for the cable and the other side for the shirt or cap.   I use one with the Magnus 1 now and recommend it especially if you move around.  I tried it out and the weight was not immediately noticeable when using the clip.  This is my perspective and your experience might be different.  But, in the lab at a BSC, the cable did not present a problem.   

Finally, I use a builders tool belt with a large tape measure holder for the iPod and amp under my lab coat, or it will sit on my desk or end table.  I have found this to be a very satisfactory arrangement  The weight of the XLR and amp and iPod will be supported by my hips, not the IEM.  

Now, all that being said, the proof will be in the pudding.  When the amp shows up and it is all hooked up and I wear it for a couple of days I will report back.  After all, this is what this forum is about - sharing our experiences with the community.  Wish me well.

PETER

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #4,963 of 7,980
I have just received my confirmation email from Sunny! The 4.A are two-tone Amboyna with black mamba, the 8.A are Amboyna with dark smoke. 
I am just amazed at how beautiful these came out....the wood selection is stunning.....I am speechless....
Thanks Wizard and everyone at Heir Audio

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,964 of 7,980
Quote:
I have just received my confirmation email from Sunny! The 4.A are two-tone Amboyna with black mamba, the 8.A are Amboyna with dark smoke. 
I am just amazed at how beautiful these came out....the wood selection is stunning.....I am speechless....

Those are sweet! especially the 4As 
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #4,965 of 7,980
Quote:

when did Heir Audio receive your impression?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back