The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Dec 17, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #4,066 of 7,980
Just received word from Sunny that my ear impressions have arrived and are "Your impressions are safe and fine" I quote
bigsmile_face.gif

Now for the Wizard to work his magic and the wait!!!

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #4,067 of 7,980
I got the Vault with my Westone 4R's - it's just the right size for carrying around, although I never tried with my 4.A's before I sent them back for adjustment.  May be a tight fit for the 8.A's.  I have a Pelican 1010 case for the 4.A's that is bigger but much smaller than the Heir case (which is great but too big for general use).

Quote:
I Just bought the Westone Vault. I'm not sure if it will fit the 8.A or not:
http://www.headfoneshop.com/eshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=98
It's quite expensive for a little plastic case, but then again, the headphones cost more than a grand, so what's $20 to pack them around?

I'll post once the vault (and my 8.A) arrive. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #4,069 of 7,980
Has anyone noticed the sound signature of their 4.a's changing (for the better) after the initial 50 hours or so?

I know from reading on head-fi that there are differences of opinion on bunr in for balanced armatures but I was wondering if anyone else had found this? 

For me there was a period there where i was worried about the sound of these.  The soundstage seemed restricted and the mids were a bit funny (maybe recessed but I don't want to resurrect the 3k dip "discussion").  All of a sudden around 50 hours i noticed that I wasn't thinking this anymore and they seemed to have settled down.

Probably just in my head right
rolleyes.gif

Anyway - I love them now.  Next stop DX100
biggrin.gif

Just brought a sunrise cable from BTG-Audio.  I went for the black like Tomscy2000, sorry to copy mate but it just looked so nice I couldn't help myself!  Oh and can people stop posting photos of their nice gear - my wife thinks I'm mental getting all this stuff and she isn't buying in to my "hobby" explanation!!

BTW - Brian at BTG was very responsive in my e-mails with him so kudos for his CS.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #4,070 of 7,980
Quote:
Has anyone noticed the sound signature of their 4.a's changing (for the better) after the initial 50 hours or so?

I know from reading on head-fi that there are differences of opinion on bunr in for balanced armatures but I was wondering if anyone else had found this? 

For me there was a period there where i was worried about the sound of these.  The soundstage seemed restricted and the mids were a bit funny (maybe recessed but I don't want to resurrect the 3k dip "discussion").  All of a sudden around 50 hours i noticed that I wasn't thinking this anymore and they seemed to have settled down.

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Just brought a sunrise cable from BTG-Audio.  I went for the black like Tomscy2000, sorry to copy mate but it just looked so nice I couldn't help myself!  Oh and can people stop posting photos of their nice gear - my wife thinks I'm mental getting all this stuff and she isn't buying in to my "hobby" explanation!!

BTW - Brian at BTG was very responsive in my e-mails with him so kudos for his CS.

Let us know what you think about the combo of 4.A and DX100.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #4,071 of 7,980
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Could be you are getting used to them.  Could be the crossover components are breaking in.  Could be almost anything.  As long as you are happy with them.  I am on pre-order with the Centerance HiFi M8.  And my wife no longer thinks I am daft.  She has just given up. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #4,072 of 7,980
Just got my 3.ai's. Yes they are sitting on top of my empty wallet. :) Actually that is not true, it is almost empty.

My rig:
Minidisc RH1
RSA The shadow
Heir cables all the way from RH1  to 3.ai

I started listing to some Keb Mo's  with the 3.ai plugged directly into the RH1.

I have to say that reading all the information about these EIM's ensured I had no surprices. Yet still I was surprised, they sound ever better than I anticipated. I am impressed with them and I can only imagine how good the 4 and 8's are. (Will find out in a months time, ordered the 8.a's)

Listening to Keb Mo's using the RSA shadow made the set up complete. I am absolutely amazed. Before I knew it I had finished listening to the Suitcase album and was ready for Seasick Steve's Walkin' Man. The guitars are absolutely staggering and draw you into the music. These 3.a are so enjoyable that you forget all time and before you know it your tapping your feet and snapping your fingers.

I am not technical and I do not Sh!t about the graphs that some of you use as their bible, what I do know is that I enjoy the tunes that are being produced by trusted MD player and my new friend the 3.ai's. While I am writing this I realize that I finished listening to Seasick Steve and Up next are the Black Key's The group's sixth studio album, Brothers and boy does the 3.a deliver the goods. The grunty vocals of  Dan Auerbach and of course the drums, guitars and backing vocals all work together just as you would expect from my Naim Audio home set-up ,which has a price tag of $3500. It is amazing the MD player with a Shadow amp and 3.a EIM can give my Naim a run for the money.

My local (New Zealand)reggae favorites 1814 have a new album out and it sounds O so sweet. The first song of the album named "Relax" really sums up the 3.ai's.

Lyrics:
Sit back and relax
Put your feet up
Do you want this feeling to ever stop
Sit back and relax
Take your time

I will sign off for now and will do the dishes while listing to my portable set up. Yes, I have a dishwasher but it takes more time to do the dishes by hand and right now I take any excuss to leave my trusted lounge chair. :)

Cheers
G

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #4,074 of 7,980
Quote:
Does anyone have any rough guesstimate as to how long it takes for Chengdu to receive approved impressions from Heir USA?

Mine took about a week from the time Brannan (San Diego, CA) said they were OK and the time I got the e-mail from Chengdu.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #4,075 of 7,980
Hello all. Other than the stock cable and Magnus cable, what other cables have you used and would recommend from personal experience?

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #4,076 of 7,980
Quote:
Hello all. Other than the stock cable and Magnus cable, what other cables have you used and would recommend from personal experience?

I've used the TWAG v1 and V2 and some others - the one that really stood out for me was the "Silver Poison" from Toxic Cables. I still prefer the Magnus 1 for it's unrivaled ergonomics. I wear my (c)iems for 6-8 hours every day so the flexibility and comfort matters more to me than the 3-5% upgrade in sound the (rather expensive...) Silver Poison adds. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4,078 of 7,980
Quote:

I have not tried it yet but Ted and Chris from Headphone Lounge/ ChrisHimself make a very stiff pure silver cable that did wonders for a set of reshelled TF-10's It was enough of a glimpse into nirvana that I decided to get Heir 8a and order the Centerance HiFi M8, both sight unseen.  A credible source, a good amp , a proper speaker, and the right wire all make sense to me now.  When the HiFi M8 arrives and I hook it up with some lossless files I may try it with Ted's cable and the 8a just for fun.  Wish me luck.

Life is short, lets have fun.

My goal is a Hansen King with Tenor amps and a dCS stack for a front end that I can walk around with.  I'm getting close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back