The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Oct 3, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #2,581 of 7,980
Does the build time on customs start from the day you place your order or from the day Heir receives your impressions?

When the order is completed then the order is placed "in line."

A complete order is defined as the order form is completed, money is submitted and the impressions are at the lab

After all the above is achieved then the clock begins.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Oct 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #2,582 of 7,980
I just got my 4.Ai and the sound with the right ear peaces and with my hifi-man HM801 is incredible.. I wouldn't compare it to the HD-800 I'd say it's on par with the Stax SR-009 which I listened to recently in Tokyo. I'm more then impressed... It causes my body to freeze sometimes ... I'd call it an eargasm. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2,584 of 7,980
Quote:
 I'd say it's on par with the Stax SR-009 which I listened to recently in Tokyo. I'm more then impressed.... 

Uummmm.. Maybe.. well never mind 

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #2,585 of 7,980
Quote:
Oh I think I got it. I wiggled them around a little like you suggested, and now I feel a sorta... suction? Like the seal feels more complete and it does feel more deeply inserted. Also, bass impact is back :) and no change between pressing against them and letting them just sit in the ear. Thanks

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I had a similar experience when I got my 4.A's so I know what that feeling of panic is like when they aren't working as you expect and the elation that comes from figuring it out.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2,586 of 7,980
Quote:
I just got my 4.Ai and the sound with the right ear peaces and with my hifi-man HM801 is incredible.. I wouldn't compare it to the HD-800 I'd say it's on par with the Stax SR-009 which I listened to recently in Tokyo. I'm more then impressed... It causes my body to freeze sometimes ... I'd call it an eargasm. 

if you could get over to  the 4.Ai thread with some impressions and pictures thatd be great, glad your enjoying them and personally i fund the 009 a lot better, however what could have been the case is that you were in a noisy environment as the Stax dont like this.

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #2,587 of 7,980
As I await the 8a.....

I have not heard the SR-009.  I own SR-404 and have listened extensively to the SR-007 II and the HD-800.  It is difficult to make a qualitative assessment comparing an iem to a full size electrostatic.   They sound different and present sound differently.   It is a matter of personal preference but I prefer the sound of a full size electrostatic or a planar magnetic (a la HIFiMan) to a dynamic full size headphone (e.g. HD650 and HD800)  Maybe you heard the HD800 in a balanced configuration?  I heard the HD650 that way once and they were breathtaking in terms of sounding like music.  But only the one time and in that configuration.

I am sure the 4a are terrific.  Maybe the SR-009's were broken?

I sometimes stop what I am doing because the music sounds so good and dare I say "real".  Be sure to wear a sweater while listening and don't freeze in the middle of a crosswalk  
biggrin.gif

My current order of preference (top 10) of what I have heard:  

1. Stax SR-007 II
2. Senn HD 800 and HD 650 (balanced)
3. Stax SR-404
4. UE TF10 (reshell) with AudioLounge silver cable and an amp 
5. Stax SR-003
6. Etymotic ER4-p
7. Stax SRX MkIII
8. Etymotic ER6i
9. Jeklin float
10. Stax SR-44
100. Monster Beats Studio
500. Monster Beats Dr. Dre. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2,588 of 7,980
Quote:
When the order is completed then the order is placed "in line."
A complete order is defined as the order form is completed, money is submitted and the impressions are at the lab
After all the above is achieved then the clock begins.

My order still says "waiting deal" on the website even though Sunny sent an e-mail indicating that payment has been received and I have an e-mail that says the impressions have been delivered to the lab.  Any way to find out where I am in line?  It's kind of like being in the line at the bank, or waiting in the line to get on the Toy Story attraction at Disney's California adventure.  It's a long one usually.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2,589 of 7,980
I agree that it's very difficult to expect an IEM to compare to a full size headphone. Especially an open electrostatic model. Yet once you sort of "equalize" your brain by adjusting between the different types of presentations they give, I do think a comparison is possible. 

I've been spending a lot of time with a Stax SR-404LE and while it's certainly not identical, I do hear similarities between it and the 4.A. If someone had the SR-404LE and said "recommend a CIEM that sounds similar" the 4.A would probably be my first choice. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,590 of 7,980
My order still says "waiting deal" on the website even though Sunny sent an e-mail indicating that payment has been received and I have an e-mail that says the impressions have been delivered to the lab.  Any way to find out where I am in line?  It's kind of like being in the line at the bank, or waiting in the line to get on the Toy Story attraction at Disney's California adventure.  It's a long one usually.

We do not give out "placement" in line numbers as this can change daily due to "rush orders." Rush orders are placed at the front of the line. But we do state the approximate build times, and you can expect your CIEMs to be built within that period. (found in the FAQ section of the web site) Wizard

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Oct 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2,591 of 7,980
Quote:
I agree that it's very difficult to expect an IEM to compare to a full size headphone. Especially an open electrostatic model. Yet once you sort of "equalize" your brain by adjusting between the different types of presentations they give, I do think a comparison is possible. 

I've been spending a lot of time with a Stax SR-404LE and while it's certainly not identical, I do hear similarities between it and the 4.A. If someone had the SR-404LE and said "recommend a CIEM that sounds similar" the 4.A would probably be my first choice. 

I've had the SR-404LE for several months now and they're by far the best I have ever heard so I'm not sure what to do with your statement :) 

So does that mean I should not anything other than the 8.A if I wanted to upgrade? :) 

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2,592 of 7,980
Quote:
I've had the SR-404LE for several months now and they're by far the best I have ever heard so I'm not sure what to do with your statement :) 

So does that mean I should not anything other than the 8.A if I wanted to upgrade? :) 

The 8.A has a really different sound sig compared to the SR-404LE. It's got way more bass impact/volume, and way smoother and more laid back mids/highs. I like them both quite a bit but for very different reasons. You may end up loving both (as I do). But someone who wanted the same sound in a CIEM would be better served by the 4.A instead. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #2,594 of 7,980
just noticed that the introductory prices are over. so glad i got my 8As already.

Me too. At least I got my order in!

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #2,595 of 7,980
Just received my Heir 3.Ai earlier today. I have been enjoying them, but not sure if I like them more than my Pana HJE-900.

I'm not really experienced with reviews and am not versed enough in this stuff to make a true review or even give impressions that I'd want others to base a purchase from. However, I can at least give my thoughts. I've been listening to the Panasonic HJE 900 recently as well as the Shure SE215 and the Ultrasone Pro 900. I have found that the HJE 900 is very much to my liking. They were harsh to my ears at first, but I switched the tips to some UE foams and all of the treble harshness went away. I felt like the mids were brought forward a bit as well, and bass made a nice appearance to round it all off nicely for my tastes. Upon receiving the 3.Ai earlier today, I gave an initial listen with a variety of music in my library. Initial impressions were that the treble is indeed a tad harsh and a bit sibilant as others have mentioned. Mids were very nice however, and bass was nice and present, but not overbearing in my opinion (I do like my bass served up nice and thick :) ). Based on my experience with tip tolling on the HJE 900, I decided to try the same thing with the 3.Ai. To my delight, the treble has been tamed quite a bit, but retains detail, midrange is present, but not forward by any means. Bass seems to be improved in depth and extension.

I really like the Shure olives, and hope I can get some to fit these and the Panasonics after some modification. I think they bring out the best in some of the brighter IEMs (for me). I'm not sure what it is about the silicones that make the sound worse for me. I've never had a problem with them before on all of my previous IEMs, but I don't think they were nearly as resolving as my more recent sets (except the Shures).

Some basic comparisons to help others who have heard similar equipment (SE215, Pro 900, HJE 900):

Compared to the SE215, these have significantly more bass. Midrange on both is relatively comparable in terms of levels, but I'd say the Shures feel warmer in general which is a plus for me. They seem to have more life there than the 3.Ai. Treble is far more extended and present with the 3.Ai, but that makes them a bit more fatiguing to me for long sessions. The Shures stay with me constantly because they are just so comfortable to wear and I can listen to them for hours on end without feeling fatigued. I do wonder what the higher end Shure models sound like in comparison. I'd love to have something similar, but even better all around (especially up top) while retaining the bass response of the SE215.

Compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900, these are so much more well-rounded. Bass on the Pro 900 is incredible as most are aware of. The 3.Ai simply do not compare here, but that is likely a good thing for many head-fiers. I don't think I really even need to make more comparisons in this range. Midrange is far more present with the 3.Ai and that is very welcome to my ears. Treble with the 3.Ai is not as harsh as with the Pro 900 (not fully broken in!) even with the silicone tips. With foams, it is entirely tolerable for me and I'm relatively sensitive to sibilance, etc.

Compared to the Panasonic HJE 900... there is just something special about these Panas. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I'll attempt to describe after some more A/B-ing. They are incredibly sparkly, yet smooth-sounding in the treble. I think the 3.Ai have them beat on resolution up top, but the Panas are just a tad easier to listen to for me. I'd say the 3.Ai has the HJE 900 beat in the midrange for clarity as well, but the Panasonics are still relatively warm and pleasing with enough presence for me. I wouldn't mind a little more body to the midrange, but I can't complain about what they have to serve up. As far as bass is concerned, I also feel like I need more time comparing the two. My thoughts for now are that the 3.Ai goes lower with more extension, but the Panasonics seem to attack kick drums in a very satisfying way, that the 3.Ai could not replicate. This is my first experience with balanced armatures, so maybe this is just a downfall inherent to them that I was not aware of. Overall, I need more time to decide which I prefer. I'm not sure why, but the Panasonics just do everything very well for me.

Sorry I have no comments on soundstage. I just don't feel comfortable commenting there yet because I need more experience comparing this aspect of the sound and I need to do a lot more critical listening to all of my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back