The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Aug 23, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #1,861 of 7,980
Quote:

This post is making me have second, third, forth, fifth, etc thoughts about ordering the 3.Ai as I was planning, instead of the 4.Ai... 
redface.gif

Look up a man called Peter Diamandis.
Find his list of "Peter's Rules".
Pay attention to rule number two on that list. Or rule number fifteen, depending on your budget. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #1,862 of 7,980
Quote:
Look up a man called Peter Diamandis.
Find his list of "Peter's Rules".
Pay attention to rule number two on that list. Or rule number fifteen, depending on your budget. 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

If you're talking about Peter's Laws, I already knew them! It's a kind of Murphy's Laws nemesis! But I went and look up both those laws you mentioned, as I din't remember them...
About the number 2, it's a great rule indeed, but I just can fit one IEM in my budget, so I must apply number 15! And that's the problem, as were talking about audio/earing, which is very subjective, and to have clear thoughts about my choice, I needed to hear both the 3.Ai and the 4.Ai in order to make a good decision. So, as I can't hear them before I purchase any of the, it will always be kind of a blind shot... 
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #1,863 of 7,980
Quote:

biggrin.gif

If you're talking about Peter's Laws, I already knew them! It's a kind of Murphy's Laws nemesis! But I went and look up both those laws you mentioned, as I din't remember them...
About the number 2, it's a great rule indeed, but I just can fit one IEM in my budget, so I must apply number 15! And that's the problem, as were talking about audio/earing, which is very subjective, and to have clear thoughts about my choice, I needed to hear both the 3.Ai and the 4.Ai in order to make a good decision. So, as I can't hear them before I purchase any of the, it will always be kind of a blind shot... 
frown.gif

I have both with me here - swing by on your way from work! Portugal -> Denmark is like what... 2500km tops, right? Lemme know when you're here and I'll get the coffee brewing.

Both are very capable, but the 3.Ai goes deeper and has a slight (but not overpowering!) bass boost. Let me help you pick:

Who do you prefer listening to?
1#
A) Debussy
B) Deadmau5

2#
A) Ravel
B) Rammstein

3#
A) Fink
B) Faithless

4#
A) Louise Rogers
B) Lady Gaga

5#
A) Mark Knopfler
B) Massive Attack

Mostly A's? Get the 4.Ai.
Mostly B's? Get the 3.Ai.

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,864 of 7,980
Quote:
I haven't written the review yet - I wanted it to be a proper review after getting to know both, not just a list of first impressions 
smile.gif

They are both very detailed but their presentations are quite different from each other. The 8.A gives you just about every single bit of sound present on the recording but you have to listen for it. A relaxed presentation that I can enjoy for hours (they get 6-8 hours in my ears every single day) without fatigue. They never get as mellow and laid back as my HD650, they just strike a perfect balance for my needs and taste. The 8.A lets you lean back and relax, the 4.A(i) is another beast. It serves up all the details for you on a silver platter, forcing you to listen actively and focus on the music. Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert is amazingly good with the 4.Ai, so much detail, spatial information and a stunning sound of the piano. It feels like you're really at the concert, hovering 50cm above the piano. For rap, dancehall and electro I prefer the 3.Ai or my 8.A as they both extend deeper than the 4.A(i) and have a better bass slam. Oddly, I find myself reaching for the 4.Ai when listening to the album "All Drums Go To Hell" by Two Steps From Hell. An album with - you guessed it - lots and lots of drums. You know that track "Mombasa" from the Inception soundtrack by Hans Zimmer? The one where Leonardo DiCaprio is running for his life through Mombasa and there's just percussion everywhere? Yeah, imagine an entire album with just that. Back on track: The 4.Ai is very fast and accurate so while the 3.Ai extends deeper, I really like how the drums sound from the 4.Ai. Or I can reach for the 8.A and get the best of both then the price just tripled...

Would you consider the 4.A/Ai bass to be thin or anemic? How does the bass of the 4.A compare to the MEElec CC51? thx

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,865 of 7,980
Quote:

Would you consider the 4.A/Ai bass to be thin or anemic? How does the bass of the 4.A compare to the MEElec CC51? thx

Not thin or anemic at all. The 3.Ai just extends a bit deeper and has a slight bass boost. Just listened to some dancehall on the 4.Ai and they never came off as dull or anemic. The 3.Ai has more bass and extends deeper, the 4.Ai is more neutral.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,869 of 7,980
Quote:
I have both with me here - swing by on your way from work! Portugal -> Denmark is like what... 2500km tops, right? Lemme know when you're here and I'll get the coffee brewing.

Both are very capable, but the 3.Ai goes deeper and has a slight (but not overpowering!) bass boost. Let me help you pick:

1#
A) Debussy
B) Deadmau5

2#
A) Ravel
B) Rammstein

3#
A) Fink
B) Faithless

4#
A) Louise Rogers
B) Lady Gaga

5#
A) Mark Knopfler
B) Massive Attack

Ended up with the same amount of each... of course right?

But I guess the main thing I want is which one has more forward vocals/makes vocals "pop"? That would probably be the one I'd want to go with.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,870 of 7,980
Quote:

Ended up with the same amount of each... of course right?

But I guess the main thing I want is which one has more forward vocals/makes vocals "pop"? That would probably be the one I'd want to go with.

4.Ai 
smile.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,873 of 7,980
Quote:

1#
A) Debussy
B) Deadmau5

2#
A) Ravel
B) Rammstein

3#
A) Fink
B) Faithless

4#
A) Louise Rogers
B) Lady Gaga

5#
A) Mark Knopfler
B) Massive Attack

Well, I can make it there for dinner! Just let me grab my bike... 
biggrin.gif

From the music choices you presented, I can't say I hear much of any of them, as I'm more of a rock and metal daily listener. I enjoy Massive Attack and Faithless, but not on a daily basis. I also listen to a bit of Rammstein from time to time, when I'm very angry, as it calms me down! 
tongue.gif

I'm almost sure the 4.Ai is not for my taste, but my problem is that I'm also not 100% sure the 3.Ai will be my cup of tea! I'm not a basshead, and I don't like V-shapped sound signatures! I need my mids... 
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,874 of 7,980
Where along the the frequency curve of the 3.Ai is the bass actually boosted?  Are we talking midbass, 100-250 hz?  Is there a fq graph of the 3.A/Ai available?

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,875 of 7,980
Quote:

1#
A) Debussy
B) Deadmau5

2#
A) Ravel
B) Rammstein

3#
A) Fink
B) Faithless

4#
A) Louise Rogers
B) Lady Gaga

5#
A) Mark Knopfler
B) Massive Attack

What if I answered A and B for everything except Lady Gaga?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back