The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Aug 17, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,771 of 7,980
Quote:
For those who have the AI series have you tried any tips other than the stock sets?  I am using clear jays tips and although they took a little persuasion to get on they are extremely comfortable sound great and isolate well. 

What I've read from Swimmsonny (4.Ai) and Cotnijoe (3.Ai) was that some Comply's can be used! At least the T200 and T500 series were successfully tested. I think they also tested other tips, but I can't remember which...

BTW, it would be really nice and helpfull if someone would compile a list of third party tips that can be used with the Heir Audio universals! 
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #1,772 of 7,980
Quote:
For those who have the AI series have you tried any tips other than the stock sets?  I am using clear jays tips and although they took a little persuasion to get on they are extremely comfortable sound great and isolate well. 

Taken from Swimsonny's 4.Ai review:

Originally Posted by Swimsonny /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tip Rolling:

I have tried a few compatible tips now and the best I have actually used are the stock tips with the large bore. They have the clearest most balanced sound and the one that I have described the review off. However you can slightly tune the sound a bit with different tips. I used some Meelectronic dual flanges and if you would like a slight increase in bass then I think a dual flange can do this but at the cost of a it of that midrange magic. The Sony Hybrid are smaller bored and in my opinion they did not change much but took that tint of brightness away from the mids and made them sound more dry. Comply foams were just not enjoyable because they do accentuate the bass a tad (about the same as the dual flanges) but to take of a bit of mid and treble presence, not really any were near as enjoyable.

Of course changing tips does not make a new sound signature or a completely different sound but think of it as fine-tuning the sound ever so slightly.

He doesn't provide much specific information about some of the tips he used, but looking at the picture above, it seems he used a large amount of tips... 
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #1,773 of 7,980
So I'm scheduling an appointment to get my ear molds so that I can order a set of A4's with the free wood faceplates!  For those of you that have Heir customs, do you recommend bite block or no bite block?  Also, since this is my first go at ear molds and customs, any advice you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yancem

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,775 of 7,980
Definitely go with an open mouth position.  The first few times I would accomplish this by gently closing down on two fingers, the last time I used a bite block.   Just make sure to keep your mouth relaxed and do not apply any pressure to the bite.   Also try to remain still and do not swallow.  Before you go in you will want to make sure your canals are free of wax.  

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,776 of 7,980
Hey Poimandres! Are you gunna post anything about the magnus upgrade soon? rly interested in it =)

and for me yess the comply T500 was a hit with the 3.Ai =)

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,777 of 7,980
Quote:
and for me yess the comply T500 was a hit with the 3.Ai =)

Can you tell us which tips (brand and model) did you successfully tested with your 3.Ai (apart form the T500)? I'm trying to compile and share a list of some compatible tips that can be used with the Heir Audio universals... 
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,778 of 7,980
Quote:

Can you tell us which tips (brand and model) did you successfully tested with your 3.Ai (apart form the T500)? I'm trying to compile and share a list of some compatible tips that can be used with the Heir Audio universals... 
wink.gif

mine was just the Comply Foam T-500 Medium size. I think i tried the 400 but those were a no go

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,779 of 7,980
Quote:
I am still loving the hell out of my 8.A and I finally feel that I have "arrived", found the rig that just sounds right to me. They sound like the best parts of the LCD-2 v2, Denon D7000 and Hifiman He-500 all in one. Only better. 

This is great to hear :)  My 8.A (and 4.A) should be coming soon and I can't wait to take them on a long trip (to China, LOL, next month) to try them out!

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,780 of 7,980
This is great to hear :)  My 8.A (and 4.A) should be coming soon and I can't wait to take them on a long trip (to China, LOL, next month) to try them out!

You're in for quite a treat, the 8.A and 4.A compliment each other very well! What will you be using to feed them?

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,781 of 7,980
Quote:
You're in for quite a treat, the 8.A and 4.A compliment each other very well! What will you be using to feed them?

Yep, I'm looking forward to having both choices at my disposal!  I may look for a 3Ai at some point for possible long bike rides.

For sources, I currently have both a Rocoo Studio and Rocoo BA when on-the-go.  At home, I'm using a Fred Fred CMOY with either opa2227 or jrc4556 opamps from my Asus laptop (foobar2000).  I'd love to get my hands on the DX100, but these will do for now :)

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #1,782 of 7,980
Quote:
mine was just the Comply Foam T-500 Medium size. I think i tried the 400 but those were a no go

Ok, so for Comply foam tips we know the T-500 can be used, and also the T-200 series (according to Swimmsonny)! I can start the list with those... 
wink.gif

A list of compatible third party tips with the Heir Audio universals:
  1. Comply T-200 
  2. Comply T-500
  3. Meelec bi-flanges
  4. Sony Hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back