The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Apr 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #662 of 7,980
Most people seem to prefer the uha-4 from what I've read, but I don't think anyone has actually used either with the 8.A

I'm actually using my 8.A with c421 AD8620. The mids are more forward, and more detailed as with the highs. The soundstage is also wider while the lows are much warmer as compared to just listening out of my j3 directly. With bass boost on, the bass become more boomy, while losing some of the details as expected of the increased emphasize on the lows.

Overall, the c421 offers less depth but more details, but I expect it to improve as its only burn in at around 20 hrs. It's highly possible that it becomes much more dynamic with longer burn in. Take this with a pinch of salt as I'm not an amp kind of guy

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #663 of 7,980

Quote:
Wow, that's fast and fury, keep them coming. My apologies for not being able to contribute other than seeking suggestions due to my lack of exposure to stuffs like this. But I do really appreciate good music. Many thanks and really appreciate that.

If you are looking for a standalone DAP look into the ibasso DX100. I specifically bought it to pair with the Heir 8A's that I will eventually get.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #664 of 7,980

Quote:

If you are looking for a standalone DAP look into the ibasso DX100. I specifically bought it to pair with the Heir 8A's that I will eventually get.

I was looking into purchasing it too but it seems like there are still tons of bugs to be sorted out so I will probably wait till ibasso gets most of the bugs cleared out of the way before I consider it again.
Short battery life + bugs and skips in between songs doesn't seem too attractive for that sort of price tag imo.
Moreover, Hifiman's new player might trump it, who knows.
Shall wait and see
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #665 of 7,980
Yeah it sure does have bugs that ibasso needs to address. But generally I'm not having the issues you are talking about with skipping. The key is to not run lots of applications in the background. But the UI still does need some work. I really love the sound though.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #666 of 7,980
Hi guys, I have just received my 8.A and something seems not right with my pair. From my understanding I should see 3 sound tube on the tips but mine have only 2. Would 8.A owners please kindly provide some feedback to me. Many thanks.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #667 of 7,980

Quote:
Hi guys, I have just received my 8.A and something seems not right with my pair. From my understanding I should see 3 sound tube on the tips but mine have only 2. Would 8.A owners please kindly provide some feedback to me. Many thanks.

Could you take some pictures? Sometimes, due to limitations of the unique shape of each person's ear canal, two tubes will merge.

Also, are you enjoying the sound? That's really the key.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #668 of 7,980

Quote:

Could you take some pictures? Sometimes, due to limitations of the unique shape of each person's ear canal, two tubes will merge.

Also, are you enjoying the sound? That's really the key.

Hi Kunlun, here's a few pics. Maybe you can help take a look at them. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #669 of 7,980

Quote:

You have some very small ear canals, so they had to merge two of the tubes further down in the custom. Look how one tube seems to be larger than the other--that larger one is the two-into-one.  You've got a very well designed and made custom iem, enjoy it!

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #670 of 7,980
From the looks of it, your canals are really thin and I think there really isn't any room for 3 bores to co-exist on it.
Moreover, the nozzle looks more rectangular than circular so I'm thinking that has to be the reason why there are only 2 bores.
Quote:

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #671 of 7,980

Quote:

You have some very small ear canals, so they had to merge two of the tubes further down in the custom. Look how one tube seems to be larger than the other--that larger one is the two-into-one.  You've got a very well designed and made custom iem, enjoy it!

Thanks Kunlun for the insight, appreciate that. Anyway, I have email the Wizard and will wait for his clarification on this matter.
As for the sound, the 1st 10mins was like crap ( muddy bass, timid treble and grainy mids ) and nothing like I have read saying it has powerful bass, lush mids and great high extension. 
And after this initial 10 mins, things started to come together and it was quite a drastic transformation from What (pardon me) to WOW. Being my 1st CIEM, there's nothing i can compare with except my universal and I can boldly says that it easily outperforms anything I own and auditioned before. SQ may not be for everyone but this is the sound I'm looking for. They have been in my ears for more than 2 hours now and still seems to opens up more and more. 

Hi Matter, thanks for chipping in. Appreciate that.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #672 of 7,980
Hello everyone, 

Occasional lurker, first time poster, brand new to the audiophile world.

Just received my 8.As the other day. I do not have the experience that many here have when it comes different high end pieces of audio equipment. However, I must say, after coming from the world of sub $40 ear buds; these CEIMs are absolutely incredible.

Since this will be the first CEIM that I've ever touched, I did have some difficulty getting them in. The first few times I put them in, the comfortability of my left ear was much lower than my right and it was borderline painful. Figuring that I'm probably just a newb and putting them in wrong, after much tweaking, I finally found a sweet spot and it felt as if they weren't even in my ears.

I am using a Zune HD, and after several hours of listening I could already tell that the Zune just wasn't powerful enough to really drive the 8.A. Although the sound is incredible in my ears; with the volume at full and many songs feeling as if they needed more, I figured I should invest in an amp.

I placed a preorder for the JDS Labs C421. I wanted something compact enough to fit in my pocket and have sufficient battery life. Will the C421 be sufficient enough for my needs? My wallet broke so I need to wait a little longer to upgrade my DAP to the iBasso DX100.

Please excuse the poor quality of the photo.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #675 of 7,980

Quote:
The only thing I'd say is try to find a line out dock for your Zune, to pair optimally with your new amp when it arrives. I think the ZuneHD has line out capabilities right?

Only place I've found a zune LOD is on Ebay. However, they are all apparently only compatible with first generation zune or 8gb and 30gb players.

Honestly, I'm just getting the amp as a temporary solution to provide my 8.A with more juice than the zune is capable of providing. Will it be worth it to use the amp and not use the line out? I plan on upgrading to an iBasso DX100 (or if an equivalent rival DAP of that quality appears), as I do not want to carry a ton of equipment around for my portable rig. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back