The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Dec 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4,141 of 7,980
Recently I was also testing my hearing and the 8A's through some online testing.  Soren or others with the 8A's can you test the low frequency tones to see if you can feel and or hear the 10hz tone?  From what I have read humans are not supposed to but it is quite obvious to me.  I am not sure if there is an issue with my source 4s>leck mkII>8A or what the case is.  Just curious.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4,142 of 7,980
Quote:
Not a bad price...this evening I decided to use 8A's for some gaming paired with my leckerton mkII and wow.  Completely blown away.

Before, I listened to music and surround movies using my Realiser and my Stax 407's. Now that I have a software only speaker simulation on my laptop, these 8.A's are perfect for mobile 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 surround. No need to carry around a Stax rig and the Realiser... Watching movies with the 8.A and 5.1 surround is amazing. The bass response is perfect for movies especially if you're on a long plane ride or one those late night action movie watching sessions.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #4,143 of 7,980
Quote:
Recently I was also testing my hearing and the 8A's through some online testing.  Soren or others with the 8A's can you test the low frequency tones to see if you can feel and or hear the 10hz tone?  From what I have read humans are not supposed to but it is quite obvious to me.  I am not sure if there is an issue with my source 4s>leck mkII>8A or what the case is.  Just curious.

I just tried it with my 8.A's, Windows laptop and iBasso D7 DAC/Amp.

I can definitely "feel" the 10Hz tone if I turn the gain up enough. I can feel the air pushing back and forth. I wouldn't call it hearing, per se, but more like feeling the vibration. Pretty amazing. In a blind test, I would definitely be able to tell if it's on or off. It's not subtle to me either.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #4,144 of 7,980
Quote:
I just tried it with my 8.A's, Windows laptop and iBasso D7 DAC/Amp.

I can definitely "feel" the 10Hz tone if I turn the gain up enough. I can feel the air pushing back and forth. I wouldn't call it hearing, per se, but more like feeling the vibration. Pretty amazing. In a blind test, I would definitely be able to tell if it's on or off. It's not subtle to me either.

I can feel it very well as well and this is with my amp on low gain and volume at normal level.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #4,146 of 7,980
Quote:
It is astonishing to say the least, I would have thought there was possibly an issue somewhere with my setup. Hats off again to Heir these 8A's hit extremely low.

I feel those low notes as well. If you want to try something fun, get a hold of the soundtrack for "The Dark Knight" and put on the first track, "Why So Serious?". It suddenly drops waaaay low to a rumble. Sounds feels pretty intense on the 8.A! If you want an album for testing your rig, this is a great buy. The track "Heartbeat" goes stupid low as well, to the point where many headphones will sound like they're malfunctioning. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #4,147 of 7,980
Quote:
I also picked up a iPod Classic 160gb the other day at the local Wally World and rockboxed it.  I haven't listened to FLAC's in sooooo long.  The 8A's paired with the leck and rb'd classic are a killer combination.  And to think I almost went with a SGS3 and a 64 gb card.  This setup will likely be around for some time...until I pickup the 240gb Toshiba drive and mod the classic.  Too bad a larger drive hasn't been confirmed to work in it.

Wait a sec....what 240GB Toshiba HDD? I thought the 7th gen and the 6th gen both couldn't take anything over 160GB?

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #4,149 of 7,980
Quote:
Wait a sec....what 240GB Toshiba HDD? I thought the 7th gen and the 6th gen both couldn't take anything over 160GB?

Depends on how the drive specs. The iPod is capable of addressing data stores much larger than 240GB; the main constraint at the moment is nobody makes really large drives that are 3.3 V and fit in an iPod case.

This is off-topic though.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #4,150 of 7,980
It is certainly off topic. There is an ipod thread that goes over all of this. It doesn't make any sense that it has issues with ssd's though.

Back to the low rumbling of the 8A's I may pickup that album and give it a try. One thing is for certain I cannot go back to listening to a lossy format or an external amp less configuration.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #4,151 of 7,980
Do you 8.A owners feel like you have a timeless product in your hands? Or do you have that familiar technology feeling that something better is looming around the corner? I just got my first set of customs, and they're so neat that I want to get another pair and be done with earphone purchasing for a while. But since my 7X and 8.A are already so similar, I might go with the 4.A instead. I dont know.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #4,152 of 7,980
Not a bad price...this evening I decided to use 8A's for some gaming paired with my leckerton mkII and wow.  Completely blown away.

I am excited to hear your very positive impressions of the 8.A with the UHA-6S..which opamp are you using?

....I might go with the 4.A instead. I dont know.

I believe there is one 6.A left...now that would be a great choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back