The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2,765 of 7,980
Quote:

That is Cocobolo, and if I may add, a mighty fine Cocobolo. A little hard to see as it is so glossy and melds seemlessly into the shells.... 

Easily discernible on IPS panel. I couldn't see the cocobolo texture at office on TFT LCD.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,768 of 7,980
Quote:
One of these might come in handy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Softbox-Light-Tent-Cube-Soft-Box-16-40cm-NEW-/110571501527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19be9337d7

Add 3 identical light sources and you're golden. Your shots are way better than most in the biz, but I think the OMG THERE'S NO WOOD incident here goes to show there's (a small) room for improvement.

Goddammit, now I want to redo my 8.A with cocobolo face plates...

You can actually achieve a similar effect with some soft lights and a curved piece of paper. You guys should also invest in some white tack to hold the various pieces in place. AND DON'T USE FLASH.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2,769 of 7,980
Quote:
One of these might come in handy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Softbox-Light-Tent-Cube-Soft-Box-16-40cm-NEW-/110571501527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19be9337d7

Add 3 identical light sources and you're golden. Your shots are way better than most in the biz, but I think the OMG THERE'S NO WOOD incident here goes to show there's (a small) room for improvement.

Goddammit, now I want to redo my 8.A with cocobolo face plates...

You can also use a laptop screen or iPad as the base to set the ciems on. This will light up the acrylic better so you can see more of the colors of the materials. Just use a white screen on your laptop or iPad.

Either a big window or a pop up shooting tent will work too. That's what I use. I just don't have any Heir products yet to show you how it's done. But that will change soon, I hope. :wink:

Shooting black/dark shiny objects is probably one of the more difficult products to shoot other than clear.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,771 of 7,980
Quote:
Shooting black/dark shiny objects is probably one of the more difficult products to shoot other than clear.

There are two ways to shoot dark, glossy objects:

1. You try to highly the details through lighting it up like mad.
2. You accept that being dark and glossy is the point and you do normal lighting with light reflections that show off the shape.

Third ninja way: You do both and photoshop a composite.

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2,772 of 7,980
Quote:

You can actually achieve a similar effect with some soft lights and a curved piece of paper. You guys should also invest in some white tack to hold the various pieces in place. AND LEARN HOW TO USE FLASH.

There, I fixed it for ya. You forgot the link as well: http://strobist.blogspot.dk/2006/03/lighting-101.html

You're welcome 
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #2,774 of 7,980
And just for kicks, here's some photos of my 8.A - shot using flash, in my friends living room. The background is his very dusty white netbook 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back