The "WINDOWS 7 IS FREAKING AWESOME!" thread.
Jul 12, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by leichnitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have been running 32 bit on my desktop and 64 bit on my laptop since release candidate was put out about 2 months ago, in both cases upgrading from Vista. Have been extremely happy. Unlike others, I have not had issues with Vista, but W7 is definitely better. expected to have some compatability issues with iPhone, etc, but everything has worked like a charm.
wuwhere - sorry I cannot answer your question about minimum ram. I tend to overbuild my PCs. I have 3 gigs ram.

Thanks. My laptop has a 1gb ram. Just curious if I need to add another gb to run W7 efficiently.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #19 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Microsoft says 1GB for 32 bit, 2GB for 64 bit.

If I were you, I would add another gig or two. But if not, it should still work.

My thought too. Thanks.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #21 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Except for the fact that it runs more than just iTunes and Safari.
biggrin.gif

Touche.

I'm quite excited about Windows 7 too, actually. I've been wanting to get a PC for gaming and such, but have been holding back because XP and Vista made me want to stab myself in the face.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudeRaines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does everyone think Windows 7 is faster or more capable of being faster than Vista given the same hardware?

Infinitely. Running Vista on my old laptop (Pentium M 1.86GHz CPU [Pentium III derivative], 2GB RAM) was a VERY painful experience even on a fresh install. It was like installing Win98 on a 486. Windows 7 RC1, on the other hand, runs faster than a fresh copy of XP Pro on the same hardware.

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #23 of 289
Sweet! Lets hope Microsoft is on the right track this time, unlike with Vista...

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #24 of 289
I'm a Win7 user for months now since the beta release, and I love it to death. It is stable, organized, fast and beautiful. The Superbar is genius as well as the Aero Peek and Window Shake. The new Windows Media Player, WordPad, Snipping Tool, etc. are much better than the older preloaded crap in Vista.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #25 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a Win7 user for months now since the beta release, and I love it to death. It is stable, organized, fast and beautiful. The Superbar is genius as well as the Aero Peek and Window Shake. The new Windows Media Player, WordPad, Snipping Tool, etc. are much better than the older preloaded crap in Vista.

Window Shake? What, praytell, is window shake?

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #26 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think is the minimum ram to run win7 in 32bit?

It runs fine oob w/ 1GB, idling around 400MB, with only AVG running (P4 2.2+865P, GF FX 5200). Still, RAM is cheap, and more never hurts.

Jul 12, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #27 of 289
Whats wrong with Vista? Yes, its bit bloated but I stripped mine from those useless crap so now it is basically WinXP with DX10, barebone and thats the way I like it. With latest updates its as fast as XP too in games, and rock solid. Memory hogging thing was also a complete misunderstanding of how Vista worked.

XP with SP2 was already very solid though not perfect, but Vista has never crashed with me, I'm quite amazed with it after little tweaking was done. So, why should I update to Win7 when it comes out? Im interested what makes it so much better that people are almost raving about it?

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #28 of 289
i also find it a good replacement and indeed innovative leap beyond XP and the debacle that is vista. however, old software frequently crashes and creeps through troubled existence. anytime you have to adopt a new os, these things happen, but i did not expect so much to be broken.

still beta though and finally, a worthy successor to the windows that was finally ready for the desktop world.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 289
why choose you simply dual boot. XP for compability issues. And I suspect some games will simply just run faster on it.

I think 7 is a nice upgrade to vista. What vista should be in the first place but it may take some time to correctly copy Apples work and get it right lol.

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #30 of 289
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats wrong with Vista? Yes, its bit bloated but I stripped mine from those useless crap so now it is basically WinXP with DX10, barebone and thats the way I like it. With latest updates its as fast as XP too in games, and rock solid. Memory hogging thing was also a complete misunderstanding of how Vista worked.

XP with SP2 was already very solid though not perfect, but Vista has never crashed with me, I'm quite amazed with it after little tweaking was done. So, why should I update to Win7 when it comes out? Im interested what makes it so much better that people are almost raving about it?

i did moan about vista, but atleast it has taught me about how to rip out the junk, etc, its fine for me too and never crashes, and im being naughty, i have 0% hard drive space left, yep, under 1GB lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back