The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 7, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #88,531 of 90,402
I can really recommend checking out Frederic Robinson!

I’ve queued a few of his albums in my roon playlist for further listening, cheers.

May 7, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #88,532 of 90,402
Been a while since the last time I act as "a kid in candy store" again with IEM purchase (last time was with Radon6).

2024_0507_17182400.jpg

Alter Ego truly define how to become "master" in detail information, but with such beautiful, organic and silky smooth tuning, with engaging and punchy notes. My favourite is "Mode 2" as shown in photo.

May 7, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #88,533 of 90,402
Mjolnir has a buddy… I decided to pull the trigger on the SP3000T for something portable despite it having some usability quirks. I thought I’d be alright using the iPhone dongle or PAW S1 even for shorter sessions but I just find using my phone way too annoying.

IMG_0143.jpeg

While it may not “drive” Storm to its maximum potential I love the synergy in tonality it brings with its warmer and fuller mid range and immersive imaging. Storm still sounds ultra-technical from just about anything so it’s a worthy trade off imo. I’m sending the demo unit and to MT today and should have my own unit by the end of the week.

I did test the FiiO M23 and M15s also. The M23 for me was a bit disappointing. It’s got a warmer tilt but just lacks resolution or separation to where I can’t justify the $699 over using it instead of my PAW S1 on the go. The DAP itself has great power and drive but overall I think the money can be better spent. The M15s drives Storm very well… transients feel hard-edged and the bass is incredibly clean and grippy but it takes the presentation into something that sounds too digital. The mid range comes off a bit lifeless and gives me the feeling of listening to bits and not music. There’s a dryness between this combination that doesn’t do it for me.

I think the Lotoo Mjolnir has really spoiled me in how it handles an ultra technical and neutral sound without lacking in engagement and ability to draw you into the music.

IMG_0152.jpeg
Three babies! but you always ditch some of the babies :).

May 7, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #88,534 of 90,402
They're absolutely incredible. I've put literally dozens of people onto them & they've bought one & got rid of their other similar gear. IMO absolutely light years ahead to the point it's embarrassing that others are so far behind.

And honestly, not having a GUI... that colour ball system takes 15 minutes at most to get used to if you actually concentrate (if you can remember a phone number, you can do this) & the DSP is absolutely incredible.

I worked with music/sound for around 25 years and I have never once been so impressed with a product, all things considered.
What makes them lightyears ahead of others like the sp3000 to you?

Could you describe a comparison in regions like bass, mid, high, soundstage etc?

Would much appreciate it

May 7, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #88,537 of 90,402
Hey all! :) Been a bit since I checked in, not always having something to say I prefer just to watch the Cooler and chime in when something interesting comes along. I'm so in love with my Traillii Ti at the moment, especially paired with my newly acquired Nightjar Sovereign Symphony, that anything new just hasn't even registered for me. (I've got a full review of the SS coming really soon; TL;DR it's my favorite cable ever 😋)

I've always been in search of a perfect chain, one IEM, one DAP, one set of ears - though my collection has grown and I'm slightly off task. But the arrival of the TTi has re-fired the kiln of my perfection seeking. Paired with the LP6 Ti AE and SS, it's the best portable audio setup I have ever heard. Even after several weeks of intense daily usage that feeling has only intensified. But, after hearing TTi on a DCS Lina + AIC-10 Riviera in Amsterdam, which was the best IEM + Desktop setup I've ever heard, the question arises, can make my chain even better?

I can't come close to affording the Lina+Riviera, but the sound has haunted me since. Since I travel a lot, I wanted to see if a portable amp could get me mostly there. I've heard/owned/reviewed a few great ones, but wanted to try what's new. So, the gentleman and scholar @armstrj2 generously let me borrow his MK-475, the illustrious @slumberman let me borrow his Pico Origa SE, and I heard the PB5 quite a bit in Amsterdam. It was quite the battle and I wanted to share my impressions, along with my fading memory of the others. I'm also heading to Munich tomorrow, where I will try out all great desktop rigs I can find, and from there I can make a decision, i'll be sure to report back after my trip there too!

IMG_3139.jpg

The MK-475: This is a great amp! Very transparent, neutral and powerful. It was less clean than I expected, there's some warmth in the mids as well as a dose of extra subass, and bass in general. I found the mids to be pulled back somewhat, with nice sparkle up top and some very tight and punchy bass. Sub-bass has great rumble and thump! Detail is great, but not overwhelming. It's more musical than expected, this is not a clinical clean, but it is very transparent. It has a nice big stage, but not exaggerated. For IEMs I would keep it on low gain, High gain adds quite so noise, probably really only needed for HPs. This being my first intro to MK I guess I had a different expectation of sound, but it was better, and I enjoyed it more. Coming from the Tsu, which is also very transparent, this is more brute force, more balls, more clean. Not energetic, but feels like a Harley, noce grunt and weight. The Tsu seems a bit more refined to me, more Hi-Fi or 2 Channel, with more warmth. It's stage was wider by a bit, but just as holographic, with great layering. I found the Tsu to sound more resolving, but I think it's more a tuning thing than it over-resolving the MK. Tsu is refined and elegant, MK475 is more a muscle, though it is also very refined. I had some great late night sessions with the MK, a very cool amp.

Interestingly enough, going back and forth between the LP6 alone and with MK475 I was very surprised how similar they are. Really good solid state power that supports the LO over adding it's own character. The MK does pull the mids back, and add some sub-bass, but overall a very similar character. The Tsu made things more Hi-Fi, with a very noticeable change in sound - this was a good thing with some music, and not so much with others as it took away some of what makes the LP6AE so cool.

IMG_3142 (2).jpg

IMG_3071 (1) (1).jpg

The Pico Origa SE: This is something really special. Featuring an all tube pre-amp, using a full size 12AU7, along with a solid state output, makes this little amp somewhat similar to the Riviera AC-10 in theory. Obviously it's not the same level, but it's sooo cool. It's unapologetically warm, very tubey, with amazing bass kick, a massive stage, lush vocals, and a very smooth top end. It's way more emotional than all the amps here, though you could say that's at a small sacrifice in resolution, or at least perceived technicals. It has this tremendous midbass attack, very big, like plugging into an old Ampeg tube amp where you can feel the texture, the growl. Mids are forward, nicely detailed and lush lush lush. The top end is slightly rolled off, but beautiful. It made me cry on several occasions - I played some Kandace Springs for my wife and she said it was the "best audio I've ever heard." It has a ton of power, seemingly more than Tsu or MK, way enough for any IEM and then some.

The Pico's biggest advantage is you can swap tubes and op amps, with dramatic changes to the sound. And since it's full size tubes the sky's the limit. I eventually settled on a CCA Telefunken and a Sonic Imagery Labs op-amp. Sublime, this is about as tubey as you'll ever get portable. Now the Pico is SE only, not balanced, but you'd never find a portable full size tube amp that's balanced, or not that I know of. It's just too big. The Pico isn't a mini AIC-10 really, the Riviera has all the best aspects of the Pico, but obviously way more power, top notch technicals, fully balanced, and a simply entrancing sound I've never matched with anything. But it's $15k and can't move.

This Pico was for sale, and in the end I passed on it, simply because I enjoyed the LP6's sound alone so much, that buying such an expensive amp seemed unnecessary. But I'll tell you, it still haunts me, so much so that I have started to look for another one - it's really that special. It's not the most technical, that would go to the Brise Tsu. It's not the most grunty and transparent, the MK takes that crown. The Pico is a tubey wonder that has a very engrossing and encapsulating sound that is as powerful and rich as it is musical. Time will tell if I can't live without it - I have an SS IC coming (thank you @Chang !!) along with the new Burson V7 Vivids (for review), so things may just get complicated for my wallet. :)

IMG_2819.jpeg

The Ibasso PB5: I had a chance to hear this one in Amsterdam, and I can understand why people love it. It is quite warm sounding, with a lot of emphasis on the bass and lower mids. It has a very large stage, great technicals and a huge vast sound. It's REALLY powerful. Paired with a neutral DAP like the 320MAX it added a nice analog vibe, making everything bigger and more impactful, with a lush warm sound. I know Jewel with 320MAX + PB5 is a very popular combo, and I can attest it's fabulous. Paired with my LP6 it was too warm, too much mid-bass, just too much. While the PB5 is very musical, it has a very nicely detailed sound. I won't get into the Nu-tibe "tubey-ness" debate, but suffice to say the Pico leaves everything else in the dust on that.

I have a few small gripes with the PB5 - for one the attenuated volume control drives me crazy. The volume I want is always somehow in-between two clicks, and while you're adjusting the volume it dips on and off. Once you get the volume you want it's fine, but I just don't like that much. The other thing is it's really warm, even more so than the Pico. With the added bass and lower mids the pairing possibilities get a bit slim. With a bright/thin IEM, or a neutral DAP it's wonderful, but with others not so much. It's a bit like the FiR XE6 - great IEM, and with the right pairing stunning, but also easily overly warm and bassy. Just my opinion here. The PB5 is a wonderful amp, it just needs the right chain to shine - where the Tsu and MK475 are far more flexible. The Pico is more neutral than the PB5, and while it's tubey I think it would add more texture and growl which could be epic.

To sum it up - there's some great amp choices out there. Keeping in mind that I was using only my LP6 AE, my experiences with these amps is colored by that. I have the E7 coming next week (hopefully) and that's a way different sound.

- If you want a very transparent sound with more beef added, more sub bass and mids that are slightly pushed back the MK475 is your bag. It's not clinical clean, and musical enough that it should mate with just about anything.

-If you desire a very refined Hi-Fi sound, with great technicals and a very large stage the Tsu is your best choice.

-If you want lots of power, a warm and bass heavy tuning, huge staging and nice Nu-tube flavor, the PB5 is it.

-If you want real tube sound, with growl and texture for days - and dont mind sacrificing a bit of technicality and lack of balanced, the Pico is really something special.

Heading to Munich in the morning, really excited to try out all the amazing Desktop gear out there. I'm sure much of it will be very impressive - let's see if something comes home with me - or the Pico steals my heart again. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #88,538 of 90,402
Been a while since the last time I act as "a kid in candy store" again with IEM purchase (last time was with Radon6).

2024_0507_17182400.jpg

Alter Ego truly define how to become "master" in detail information, but with such beautiful, organic and silky smooth tuning, with engaging and punchy notes. My favourite is "Mode 2" as shown in photo.
Has the company of this IEM a Homepage I cannot found anything?

May 7, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #88,539 of 90,402
Just finished my week with the Bonneville thanks to the Watercooler Tour. Can I just say that as a concept the gear tours are a great idea. At first I was a little put off because of the length of membership and number of posts requirement, but it's totally understandable. The vetting process is part of what makes it work so well. Is there any data that correlates an increase in sales based on the additional mentions tour gear get in these threads? Might be something that would encourage manufacturers to participate. Of course a lot of what makes it work is @Rockwell75. Hopefully the admin part of it isn't too time consuming. I know its a labor of love though.

I kept trying to do comparisons of a few songs each between the Bonneville, Black Star and Ara. Except I often forgot to switch and just wanted to "one more song" regardless which IEM I had in. The Bonneville fit was great though. They're so light, and my ears must be just slightly larger than average shape, because they fit well with an almost uniform air gap. It almost felt like they weren't there. I used SpinFit CP145 tips to start with because those are the tips that were already on Black Star. They worked well enough that I just skipped tip rolling completely.

I know I have read others' reviews about the differences in bass presentation and articulation between Bonneville and Black Star, and I just don't have much to add. It's all already been said better that I can articulate. I just don't listen analytically or critically enough. It's making a mountain out of a mole hill really. Yes they are different, and you could write pages about the subtle nuances, but they really aren't that different. They are the same bass driver with slight tuning differences. I'm not a basshead, but I didn't think Bonneville was bombastic or over the top at all. It seemed a little too impactful on some lighter fair, but really shines on House or NuJazz. Bonneville definitely nudged my musical selection toward it's strengths. All the buzz is deserved. That being said, already having Black Star, there won't be a Bonneville in my future. The more I listen to Black Star and compare it to others, the more I realize how lucky I got on the blind buy.

May 7, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #88,540 of 90,402
Just finished my week with the Bonneville thanks to the Watercooler Tour. Can I just say that as a concept the gear tours are a great idea. At first I was a little put off because of the length of membership and number of posts requirement, but it's totally understandable. The vetting process is part of what makes it work so well. Is there any data that correlates an increase in sales based on the additional mentions tour gear get in these threads? Might be something that would encourage manufacturers to participate. Of course a lot of what makes it work is @Rockwell75. Hopefully the admin part of it isn't too time consuming. I know its a labor of love though.

I kept trying to do comparisons of a few songs each between the Bonneville, Black Star and Ara. Except I often forgot to switch and just wanted to "one more song" regardless which IEM I had in. The Bonneville fit was great though. They're so light, and my ears must be just slightly larger than average shape, because they fit well with an almost uniform air gap. It almost felt like they weren't there. I used SpinFit CP145 tips to start with because those are the tips that were already on Black Star. They worked well enough that I just skipped tip rolling completely.

I know I have read others' reviews about the differences in bass presentation and articulation between Bonneville and Black Star, and I just don't have much to add. It's all already been said better that I can articulate. I just don't listen analytically or critically enough. It's making a mountain out of a mole hill really. Yes they are different, and you could write pages about the subtle nuances, but they really aren't that different. They are the same bass driver with slight tuning differences. I'm not a basshead, but I didn't think Bonneville was bombastic or over the top at all. It seemed a little too impactful on some lighter fair, but really shines on House or NuJazz. Bonneville definitely nudged my musical selection toward it's strengths. All the buzz is deserved. That being said, already having Black Star, there won't be a Bonneville in my future. The more I listen to Black Star and compare it to others, the more I realize how lucky I got on the blind buy.
In another word, if you don't do critical listening A/B, Bonneville and Black Star are pretty much the same?

Okay, just read from @Rockwell75, Bonneville is more exciting and Black Star is more neutral, I guess my choice is still Bonneville.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #88,541 of 90,402
The @Craft Ears Omniums are a proper flagship. I really enjoy how much of an all-rounder they are. I love how they do treble, how solid the subbass is, and above all, and this is coming from someone who's not a mid-head, how absolutely transparent and nuanced the midrange is. I hear midrange nuances with this that I don't with more expensive IEMs and I can't help but think that it's the planar driver at play.

PXL_20240507_060009126.jpg

PXL_20240507_060057177~2.jpg

PXL_20240507_034407267.jpg

PXL_20240507_034450105.jpg

PXL_20240507_034851102.jpg

Craft Ears FR.png
Have not seen a lot of these in the wild, great to read your thoughts

May 7, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #88,542 of 90,402
change_vol_fw2_f0ccb8dd-a670-4342-85e3-fada198b2964.png

According to the above graphic the low volume range has been expanded (more than doubled) on v2...
Nice move in my book.
But it seems its maximum gain also get decreases right?

May 7, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #88,543 of 90,402
May 7, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #88,544 of 90,402
New special earbud arrived today, Venture Electronics SM Gold - Very impressed from the first session.
It is balanced and full sounding with very good midrange clarity, really like female vocals on this one. Also not overly bright or shouty, just clear and transparent.

With tired evenings I almost always reach after earbuds, and lately been a lot of tired days due to work rush before the summer.
Something about the open sound and not being closed in when tired, its more relaxing and pleasing. Going trough some jazz releases while lying down in the sofa, currently on the latest live recording from GoGo Penguin:
https://tidal.com/browse/album/351809184?u

DSCF5084.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #88,545 of 90,402
In another word, if you don't do critical listening A/B, Bonneville and Black Star are pretty much the same?

Okay, just read from @Rockwell75, Bonneville is more exciting and Black Star is more neutral, I guess my choice is still Bonneville.
They’re closer than I thought they’d be. Exciting is a pretty good word. I’m more neutral in my preferences. Holocene never leaves my work desk. Depending on the music, the more V shaped tuning and impact on the bass can be detrimental. But on other stuff it’s exactly what you want. It doesn’t surprise me at all how popular Bonneville is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back