The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 2, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #88,171 of 89,506
I have and I can't hear any noise even with the likes of Rn6 and N8 (both low ohm hybrids). But... 1) I don't use ultra sensitive IEMs in principle and 2) my tinnitus is louder than any faint amp noise at any given point, so my tolerance for 'minor' hissing is probably much higher than many.

In this case, your tinnitus is a blessing in disguise :D

May 2, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #88,173 of 89,506
Your album is simply delightful. All the tracks are chill and beautifully composed. The tones used for the instruments are really fantastic and work so well together. Production of the tracks are top-notch.

The EP sounds really amazing through the Hifiman Organic. Shall listen to it again later with the Trifecta.

Please keeping making music! :raised_hands::thumbsup:
Oh wow, thank you so much, that is high praise! I really appreciate all the support this release has gotten through this community,, you guys are awesome. This forum has influenced my life in many ways since I have joined... 🥲Thanks again. I will make one more post tomorrow regarding this EP, because it is bandcamp friday and then I am done spamming you with it. 😋
Oh and thanks for this awesome title @warrenpchi!! (I guess that was you?)

May 2, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #88,174 of 89,506
Why is that? I'm honestly curious, not being sarcastic or anything.
Because you're moving air inside a sealed cavity and it has nowhere to go, putting excess strain on your eardrum. This is especially true with dynamic drivers, but is also true of other driver types.

May 2, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #88,175 of 89,506
Oh wow, thank you so much, that is high praise! I really appreciate all the support this release has gotten through this community,, you guys are awesome. This forum has influenced my life in many ways since I have joined... 🥲Thanks again. I will make one more post tomorrow regarding this EP, because it is bandcamp friday and then I am done spamming you with it. 😋
Oh and thanks for this awesome title @warrenpchi!! (I guess that was you?)
All the money go to the artists, right? I've been holding off for bandcamp Friday, and your album is on my list. I quite like it, even though not my usual style.
Well done!

May 2, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #88,176 of 89,506
Because you're moving air inside a sealed cavity and it has nowhere to go, putting excess strain on your eardrum. This is especially true with dynamic drivers, but is also true of other driver types.
I see, thanks for the explanation. I've always assumed the venting is more for the driver, but what you're saying makes sense to me.

May 2, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #88,177 of 89,506
All the money go to the artists, right? I've been holding off for bandcamp Friday, and your album is on my list. I quite like it, even though not my usual style.
Well done!
Exactly! Thank you. 🙏

May 2, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #88,178 of 89,506
I see, thanks for the explanation. I've always assumed the venting is more for the driver, but what you're saying makes sense to me.
You're right, basic venting is more for the driver. But no venting is even worse. And ear venting (Atom, Apex etc.) is the most ideal.

May 2, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #88,179 of 89,506
Have you tried it with any sensitive IEMs? I talked to a few people who praised CMA18p for use with headphones, even some demanding ones, and less picky average sensitivity (or single DD) IEMs. But I have been told this dongle hisses with sensitive IEMs and some lower impedance hybrid IEMs.
It ain’t a Questyle without hiss. :wink: I remember demoing the QP2R with the EE Zeus, and, apart from hiss, I alao heard static every time I touched the volume wheel. :D

#lowvolumegang here, if I can’t enjoy or connect to something at low to moderate volumes then it’s likely not something I am interested in. I do crank it up every now and then though for some fun 🤪

Going to CanJam and seeing people use chains I was familiar with and looking at their volume levels was quite eye opening for me. I know with the show floor noise you have to listen louder than normal but some of the stuff I saw was straight up frightening 😂
Same. I’ve been jumpscared countless times when trying gear right after someone else. I make it a habit to mute amps before I press Play.

Beautiful FW man… love them in blue like that.
Thanks! Yeah, ‘really love how it turned out. ‘Can’t wait to receive and shoot them (and listen too, obviously 😁).

Well done!
Bandcamp is the service that gives artists the largest percentages AFAIK. I always get my music from them whenever possible.

May 2, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #88,181 of 89,506
So true, I know several people who listen at low volumes, and when I try listen at those volumes I just don't get it. Even accounting for my mild hearing loss, the volume some people listen at is basically a whisper to me. If I wanted to listen to people whispering with faint instrument sounds in the background, I wouldn't do so with any of the expensive gear I currently use and review 😅
I will admit that the Bonneville I recently got to demo does sound extraordinarily better at low volume to me. I can understand the appeal but when I crank it up to my normal levels the treble is just way too peaky.
Regarding listening volumes --- I figure you're allotted a certain number of decibel-hours for your lifetime. How you want to spend them is entirely up to you.
Well since I have only been in the hobby less than 2 years I hopefully have many more hours to go 🙉.

May 2, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #88,182 of 89,506
I will admit that the Bonneville I recently got to demo does sound extraordinarily better at low volume to me. I can understand the appeal but when I crank it up to my normal levels the treble is just way too peaky.
Which goes to my point that many IEMs' performance very much depends on volume. If you're not a low volume listener and the IEM sucks at higher volume, you'd want to know that. But likewise if you are a low volume listener and the IEM has no dynamics or poor resolution unless it's cranked up, you'd want to know that too.

Personally I test at higher volumes because most treble/upper midrange issues are amplified at higher volume (and often masked at lower volume). Same goes for bass bleed.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #88,184 of 89,506
@Rockwell75

I watched Kung Fu Hustle again in honor of your profile picture. Wife was away at a girls movie night, so perfect time! Movie is legit funnier than I even remember from my last viewing maybe 4-5 years ago. Such a freakin’ fun movie! Can’t believe the movie is now 20 years old.

Now this makes me want to watch Shaolin Soccer again, too.

May 2, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #88,185 of 89,506
Which goes to my point that many IEMs' performance very much depends on volume. If you're not a low volume listener and the IEM sucks at higher volume, you'd want to know that. But likewise if you are a low volume listener and the IEM has no dynamics or poor resolution unless it's cranked up, you'd want to know that too.

Personally I test at higher volumes because most treble/upper midrange issues are amplified at higher volume (and often masked at lower volume). Same goes for bass bleed.
Taking a closer look at your reviews, it seems our sonic preferences line up pretty well. Will be following your impressions/reviews with much reverence oh wise one! 🙏⛪️ Church of gLer now in session.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back