The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #87,272 of 88,277
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #87,273 of 88,277
This is one of my most delightful cable discovery: Audiohive Ulan. I chanced upon this in one of Chang’s posts on HF. When I tried it, I was blown away by how it was unassumingly good and how it was unlike the silver cables I’ve tried. This is a 8w version, very very clear whilst keeping the bass rigour, treble is not sibilant,(though perhaps I have increasing more tolerance in this respect). Being a silver cable, it seems as if the spectrum has either been cleaned or tidied up, or extending soundstage, without attenuating the bass. Kudos to Yong of Audiohive for creating this, I love it. I’ve met and interacted with Yong on a number of occasions, reasonable in his prices (this is about 1500SGD). I’m looking forward to seeing more of what’s in store from this brand.
That was indeed another very solid cable that I have tried during CJ SG. Very clean sounding and great technicalities.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #87,274 of 88,277
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #87,275 of 88,277
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #87,276 of 88,277
This couldn’t have come at a better time. I’ve been contemplating picking up a Volur as I can get a fairly good deal on one but your comparison has laid that urge to rest. I can rest easy knowing that Raven has all of the bases that Volur looks to fill covered.
That's not how it works though, and you know it :)

Raven is one of my most disliked IEMs while Volür is one of my most liked. So for me they are very different. None of that matters of course, but how will you find out you hear exactly the same as the other poster does and not like I do? Demo demo demo.

drftr

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #87,278 of 88,277

Raven is one of my most dislike IEMs while Volür is one of my most liked. So for me they are very different. None of that matters of course, but how will you find out you hear exactly the same as the other poster does and not like I do? Demo demo demo.

drftr
Demo is right. I went to Audio46 and the Volur did not wow me. Then I tried the Noble Onyx and it was a whole other level. Everyone is different. Our anatomy is different. We like different music. We get tickled by different sounds.

Demo!

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #87,279 of 88,277
Demo is right. I went to Audio46 and the Volur did not wow me. Then I tried the Noble Onyx and it was a whole other level. Everyone is different. Our anatomy is different. We like different music. We get tickled by different sounds.

Demo!
To prove your point to the max: The 2 IEMs that have my interest are Volür and Onyx...

drftr

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #87,280 of 88,277

Raven is one of my most dislike IEMs while Volür is one of my most liked. So for me they are very different. None of that matters of course, but how will you find out you hear exactly the same as the other poster does and not like I do? Demo demo demo.

drftr
Haha I do know it but I also know my tastes when it comes to brand tunings. Generally, 64’s tuning tend to be a little too balanced and safe for me and I find them boring after a period of time. I tend to go for more coloured tunings that take a bit more risk. Obviously this observation may not be the case with Volur but if Raven and Volur are hoping to pull off the same sort of sound, albeit with their own brand twist, the likelihood is that I’d gel with EE’s attempt a lot more than 64’s. I think I’ll attempt to get to a Canjam to test them for sure though,

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #87,282 of 88,277
Maybe I'm wrong but introducing priority connectors is a kind of dead end. Audiophile market is already a niche segment, with this kind of "exclusive technologies" the company isolates herself from the rest, imho. However, nice driver configuration.
That's true, but this is one of those cases where a proprietary connector is actually necessary for its design. It's an IEM with an active crossover, meaning the signal from your DAP or source isn't divided into lows, low-mids, mids, highs, etc. inside the IEM like usual. Instead the signal goes into that huge board pictured in the article, it's split into 5 (lows, low-mids, mids, highs and ultra-highs, according to the flow chart) via filters, then each portion is individually-amped and sent to the IEMs. So, the IEMs need at least 5 terminals to receive those 5 different signals from the crossover box, not to mention ground and what-not. You can't do that with the 2 channels of 2-pin, MMCX, etc. So, Brise had to make their own standard here.

At the end of the day, it's a design decision they made for their product's needs. Whether or not it even has any advantages over standard passive crossovers is another matter entirely. I do appreciate the ambition, and I look forward to hearing it at some point in the future.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #87,283 of 88,277

Raven is one of my most disliked IEMs while Volür is one of my most liked. So for me they are very different. None of that matters of course, but how will you find out you hear exactly the same as the other poster does and not like I do? Demo demo demo.

drftr
In a similar boat.

I read that comparison you speak of recently and shrugged. I demoe'd the Raven and that was one of the shortest demos of the day then because I instantly knew I liked the Volur a lot better. It was one of my shortest demos of the day because it was that apparent, and I thought it would be a real contender too.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #87,284 of 88,277
You surely know your classics :wink: and it made me not having the guts to pull the trigger myself.

drftr
I honestly wouldn’t need much convincing… tell me how magical they sounded and how it was like Vitaliy whispering sweet nothings in your ear and I may push the button. Currently waiting on Supermoon and an R6 pro II though so may hold off until I undoubtedly sell them on.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #87,285 of 88,277
I believe nobody claims there (the reviewer at least doesnt), that FR is all you need to know. I highly believe the audiosciencereview Amir cult isnt really represented among the "mainstream" audio reviewers. Messurement cult is a very encapsulated bubble of people on ASR forums and couple of trolls on youtube.

From my experience, while messurements will never give you an idea how an IEM or an over ear sounds, they can give you an idea about the treble and bass behaviour of a headphone and how much emphasis there is on mids, which definitly can come handy evaluating something "blindly", only reading subjective feedback. Should it be possible to draw conclusions from messurements in regard of how BA and dynamic driver behave - colour me intrigued.

I hate to rehash yesterday's post and add more oil to the fire which is dying out, but it's just that I'm still catching up with all the posts in the Watercooler thread and wanted to add my 2c along with a question.

I have expressed my position on measurements in the past, anybody with $99 can get a setup from Ali or Taobao, it's not rocket science. Also, you can't analyze the sound by looking at it with your eyes, you need to hear it. Thus I find both methods complementary (always start with listening first to collect impressions, then confirm them with measurements). With many requests, I began to include FRs in my reviews, and also because I get so many pings about sharing FR when I barely mention a new IEM, I often post it in the Watercooler thread because it is easier than replying to the same question in dozens of messages.

But you brought up an interesting topic of IEMs vs Full-size FR measurements, something I still don't get. There is a lot more consistency in IEM measurements between the portable setup/coupler and while listening to a variety of portable DAP sources. But with headphones, besides a setup being a lot more complicated due to a need for an enclosure, etc., there is so much inconsistency. Again, I'm a noob when it comes to full-size headphones, but whenever I try to listen to full-size cans at CanJam shows, it's like listening to a completely different set of headphones as you move from one dac/amp to another and then try it with a DAP. I enjoyed in the past reading Tyl's reviews on InnerFidelity and looking at his headphone measurements. And found it useful in a relative comparison from the same measurement setup. But, when you can completely change the sound, top to bottom, depending on how much tube distortion you put these through or other coloring or extra power introduced by a source, I feel like full-size Headphone measurements become useless. Am I missing something?

... probably good to clarify, I'm talking about more demanding "fancier" open-back flagship headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back