The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 20, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #87,152 of 88,548
DMS said in the video that the Mega5EST only works that well for him personally. He clarified on reddit that IEMs are way more subjective due to fit etc. and that he does not get any commissions or incentives to hype these, he just felt like sharing this experience.

DMS emphasizes tonality/FR to his HRTF over technicalities which many staff from headphones dot com deemed as a function of FR peaks and dips, basically tuning design choices and not resolving power (which to some of the headphone dot com staff does not exist) of the porta-fi system as a whole (DAP, cable and IEM synergy)

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #87,154 of 88,548
I’ve been very happy with my Trifecta + WM1Z setup; I was not looking to improve it in any way because everything I’d tried to change upset what seemed a natural, effortless balance one way or another. Until this.

IMG_4998.jpeg

Trifecta + WM1Z + NiceHCK GreenGod

Compared with the stock cable, it’s almost like a camera lens snapping into focus. Bass and mids are markedly more textured and focused, drops have more weight and density to them. It also has a transparent quality in how it cleans up the stage, makes layering and positional cues more defined without losing the tasty decay or otherwise compromising the Trifecta-1Z alchemy. It’s frankly quite addictive.

The GreenGod is part of a small batch of prototypes recently released by NiceHCK as part of their (relatively) higher end cable range. NiceHCK have been on form lately but even so, I hadn’t actually perceived this one to be one of their best ones prior to this, or expected it to play so well in this league. But synergy matters, and here it is on full display.

Main drawback is it’s offered in 2-pin only. Even with an adapter, I see myself reaching for this time and again with the Trifecta. And I don’t even like fabric cables. Seriously tempted to get it reterminated in MMCX. Even though most of the rest of my IEM collection takes 2-pin.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #87,155 of 88,548
I wasn't aware of Mirai Audio - tnx! What a luxury to have FiR, UM, 64, etc, at your doorstep. Will visit them once I get back to KL for sure.

How about some great pics of your daughters horses then? They may be the largest pets on this thread, but hey...

drftr
1000000737.jpg

"My" Arabian horse, picture took this Friday. It is the descendant from Kellogg family's Arabian horses.

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #87,156 of 88,548
The MEST series keeps getting better! The Mk3 is a solid all-rounder under 2k.
1000139608.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #87,160 of 88,548
Are you riding the horse yourself?

drftr
No, the Kellogg family donated their Southern California family ranch to the state government with several conditions, one of which is our taxpayers money will be spent to have those Arabian horses live happily forever.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #87,163 of 88,548
@warrenpchi Is there any news about which brands will be attending CJ London?

No, not officially. If I had to guess though, I would say 80% of it would be the same as last year, with the other 20% accounting for recent new releases (Audio-Technica, RAAL, etc.).

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #87,164 of 88,548
Horses are a whole other level of spend! Compa
1000000735.jpg
red to audio it strikes me like going from cars to private jets! Enjoy!

Kentucky Derby in the future? 😎

Between them, I guess :)
1000000735.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back