The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #86,311 of 88,495
What is the approximate price for the Elysian Dio?

This one is going to be a mega kilobuck release. The final price is not confirmed yet, but should be at the threshold of the Watercooler "let's bring our pitchforks" level :D

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #86,312 of 88,495
Watercooler I was wondering if someone could help. Has anyone heard anything about the AME Raven from MusicTeck? I tried to find a review, unfortunately I am unable to find anything on them. Will reach out to MusicTeck, but figured I would reach out here in case anyone has any idea of their sound signature.

From my CanJam NYC '24 report:

I didn’t have a chance to hear all AME iems, but AME Raven (8BAs/4ESTs) did catch my attention, maybe because of its name. Here, I found an intimate soundstage with more depth than width. It has a nicely balanced W-shaped tuning with a natural, smooth, detailed tonality. Well-rounded slightly elevated bass with DD-like texture, clean, detailed mids, and natural resolving treble. There is no extra emphasis to make anything stand out in particular, just a very balanced coherent tuning.

Also, captured some squiggles of it:

AME_Raven-FR01.jpg

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #86,313 of 88,495
As I mentioned before, a few weeks ago I had a golden opportunity to check out over a dozen of new IEM releases which @MusicTeck showcased at CanJam SoCal 2023. While I wasn't able to attend CanJam, thanks to Musicteck the CanJam came to my house, though only for a very short period of time, but just enough to capture impressions, pictures, and FR measurements of Canpur CP622B and CP54E, UM Amber Pearl and "blue" Prototype, EE Raven, Aroma Fei Wan, Oriolus Monachaa, Timsok TS-316, Victory Melody V44 MK2, Nostalgia Audio NA12, Softears Enigma prototype. And as a bonus, I also had a chance to audition Brise Audio Shirogane 4W and 8W and to compare Cayin N30LE vs N30LE AP.

Lots of stuff to cover, enjoy the read!

CanJam-SoCal-23-00.jpg
I have owned ue18+pro gen3 for more than 4 years. Now I want to try some new IEMS like CP54E. Can you tell me is this IEM better than ue18+ at every level?

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #86,314 of 88,495
The Watercooler seems like the most active thread, so I bet I'll get plenty of high quality recommendations here.

I've recently fallen in love with the HIFIMan HE1000 Stealth. I'm not a fan of bright headphones, but it walks the perfect line between warmth, transparency, and air. So now I'm looking for a high-end IEM which shares this balance. Huge soundstage, lots of detail and transparency, but in a laid-back sort of way, with utterly natural tonality. Vocals which are airy, but not thin, subtly organic, yet wonderfully vivid.

This is a balance of contradictions I thought impossible. Until I picked up the HEK Stealth, and found my new favorite signature. More than enough bass, but all the technical prowess I could ever dream of. I used to love warmer headphones, like the LCD-3F. But now that sounds veiled.

I'm still treble sensitive. Too bright and I'm out. It's a fine line, and I'm hoping you fine folk have some recommendations.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #86,315 of 88,495
I’m on the Alter Ego train as well. Without spoiling my CJ SG post too much, I think it’s a lesson in using unique driver timbres to revitalize a familiar tonality. It didn’t have a sig I’d never heard before, but it did deliver it in a way that felt exciting and new.

I’ll give the Alter Ego an honorable mention too. It’s too pricey for me to own as a universal. It’s at a price range where I’m strictly custom or nothing. But, from its build quality, to its tuning versatility, to how well both tunings are executed… I’m hard-pressed to fault it.
Agreed with Alter Ego sounding exciting and new. I told a friend of mine this too, that Alter Ego sounds new and fresh. I'm also hard-pressed to fault it. Usually I have to find reasons to purchase something. In AE's case, I'm looking for reason's not to buy it. It's a compelling package.

2. Melodic Artification "Alter Ego" (BUY with upgrade silver alloy cable) - The smooth vocals and bass texture is addictive, easy, and super enjoyable for a long listen. The build, tuning, price, is giving so much value in a world where IEMs prices are getting more and more expensive. Easily competes with 3-4k IEMs. I'd pick this over Traillii or Traillii Ti for vocals. The shells are so well-built, light, but not cheap feeling. I have a feeling that at least 20 members will own this IEM in their collection within this year.
I wasn't aware there was an upgraded cable offered. I'll probably be requesting this.

From my CanJam NYC '24 report:

I didn’t have a chance to hear all AME iems, but AME Raven (8BAs/4ESTs) did catch my attention, maybe because of its name. Here, I found an intimate soundstage with more depth than width. It has a nicely balanced W-shaped tuning with a natural, smooth, detailed tonality. Well-rounded slightly elevated bass with DD-like texture, clean, detailed mids, and natural resolving treble. There is no extra emphasis to make anything stand out in particular, just a very balanced coherent tuning.

Also, captured some squiggles of it:

It's good to hear some AME Raven chatter! I quite liked it. It has one of the best treble responses I've heard, and I think it's competitive in a crowded $3k USD market. IMO it's the better of the two Ravens. For some reason it hasn't caught on though.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #86,316 of 88,495
The Watercooler seems like the most active thread, so I bet I'll get plenty of high quality recommendations here.

I've recently fallen in love with the HIFIMan HE1000 Stealth. I'm not a fan of bright headphones, but it walks the perfect line between warmth, transparency, and air. So now I'm looking for a high-end IEM which shares this balance. Huge soundstage, lots of detail and transparency, but in a laid-back sort of way, with utterly natural tonality. Vocals which are airy, but not thin, subtly organic, yet wonderfully vivid.

This is a balance of contradictions I thought impossible. Until I picked up the HEK Stealth, and found my new favorite signature. More than enough bass, but all the technical prowess I could ever dream of. I used to love warmer headphones, like the LCD-3F. But now that sounds veiled.

I'm still treble sensitive. Too bright and I'm out. It's a fine line, and I'm hoping you find folk have some recommendations.
Noble Audio Ronin or Oriolus Traillii should work for you.
Maybe Aroma Audio Jewel also.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #86,317 of 88,495
I have owned ue18+pro gen3 for more than 4 years. Now I want to try some new IEMS like CP54E. Can you tell me is this IEM better than ue18+ at every level?
Do you want CIEMs?

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #86,319 of 88,495

I'm still treble sensitive. Too bright and I'm out. It's a fine line, and I'm hoping you fine folk have some recommendations.
An EQ’d LCD i4, or a maybe the new Noble Onyx. I don’t want to blow up your budget based on the equipment you have.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #86,320 of 88,495

] Annihilator.. there is lots of treble, but it is the most extended/Non-sibilant and airy treble you can get

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #86,321 of 88,495
This one is going to be a mega kilobuck release. The final price is not confirmed yet, but should be at the threshold of the Watercooler "let's bring our pitchforks" level :D
UM already took the brunt of the heat. The Dio’s gonna look pretty reasonable now. 🤭

Hey Caleb! Always happy to see you ‘round, friend. Speaking of the Dio, it actually sounds perfect for you what you want. Without being too specific, I’ll say that the current iteration of it doesn’t tick all your boxes just yet, but I have word that those very issues are being worked on. In the meantime, you have about a year to save up. 😁

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #86,322 of 88,495
UM already took the brunt of the heat. The Dio’s gonna look pretty reasonable now.

This. Thanks to UM, $6k price becomes a new "doable" flagship pricing for manufacturers :sob::sob::sob:

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #86,323 of 88,495
UM already took the brunt of the heat. The Dio’s gonna look pretty reasonable now. 🤭

Hey Caleb! Always happy to see you ‘round, friend. Speaking of the Dio, it actually sounds perfect for you what you want. Without being too specific, I’ll say that the current iteration of it doesn’t tick all your boxes just yet, but I have word that those very issues are being worked on. In the meantime, you have about a year to save up. 😁
LOL. Just in time for my next Stock Options to vest!

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #86,324 of 88,495
This. Thanks to UM, $6k price becomes a new "doable" flagship pricing for manufacturers :sob::sob::sob:
The IEM still has to justify the price. The appeal for it doesn't increase one bit for me just because it's more expensive, but I guess that's a big hook for others because higher cost of entry = exclusivity. I really hope Dio, when it arrives, justifies its price for those lucky enough to own it.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #86,325 of 88,495

I was going through something similar, i ended up with the annhilator 23. But at that price i wonder if you would be happier with a better headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back