The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #86,281 of 88,379
But in your photo you look like such a young pup. I do not know what to believe any more. Seriously mate you are only as old as you feel. I wish you many years to come. Thank you for all you do.

Oh, paradoxically, I'm much younger on Head-Fi than I am in real life. :smile: And thanks! :pray:

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #86,282 of 88,379
🤣

IMG_2387.jpeg

Anybody want to place a wager as to whether these will actually impress me or not? 🙂
Let me guess.

You would enjoy the Cadenza and Waner. The CRA might be “so so”. The Dioko might be disappointing. The moondrop Chu 2 if 50/50 between “hey, it’s pretty okay” and “meh; it is what it is”

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #86,283 of 88,379
Would you be able to compare the above to VEX when you post your impressions please? c:
Ahh, I don’t know. I last tried the VE X a couple months ago, and none of the IEMs here are close enough to it (apart from the Terra, in spirit) to make meaningful comparisons with.

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #86,284 of 88,379
Well, let's see. I have owned both. Bonneville is much more visceral, dynamic, pressurized, with an upper mid tuning that can be quite incisive, and full, soundstage-enveloping bass/midbass that really hits. Monachaa is more reserved at first blush but the more you listen, the more you hear its detailed and textured sub-bass, its incredibly clear and forward mids with gorgeous DD timbre and a slight emphasis on the upper mids, and its captivating, expansive soundstage. Monachaa has better layering and texture and imaging - more air - but isn't as visceral or full-bodied as Bonneville. In some ways they are complementary, in terms of mood. Bonneville being more bombastic and aggressive yet still very cohesive, Monachaa being more calm and focussed but with the better overall timbre.
I only got these two recently but I can say you hit the nail on the head with this eloquent comparison. Very well said!

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #86,286 of 88,379
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #86,287 of 88,379
Notes:
Immanis and the Narukami AMP were the highlights of Canjam SG for me. It was the wrong (or maybe right?) choice when we came early to canjam before they open the doors and tried the immanis :joy: BEST HEADPHONE EVER! everything else i tried after were... not as nice if i can put it that way :laughing:

Also, Personally, Pilgrim Noir >>> Pilgrim, i find it more engaging, with a tad warmer sound and meatier mids and forward vocals. Bass is also more present in the Noir. I also dig the black metal design with gold logos.

There are a few things in my mind after SG CanJam 2024 and some I've set on buying:

1. Elysian DIO (BUY) - This and STORM will be my pinnacle IEMs as two that conquers the world with its tuning, class, and level of performance. None can touch them.

2. Melodic Artification "Alter Ego" (BUY with upgrade silver alloy cable) - The smooth vocals and bass texture is addictive, easy, and super enjoyable for a long listen. The build, tuning, price, is giving so much value in a world where IEMs prices are getting more and more expensive. Easily competes with 3-4k IEMs. I'd pick this over Traillii or Traillii Ti for vocals. The shells are so well-built, light, but not cheap feeling. I have a feeling that at least 20 members will own this IEM in their collection within this year.

3. EE Triton (Probably BUY) - If they offer CIEM, this will be my gym set paired with Ifi Go Pods. A bassy iem, warm, that punches hard and has visceral bass with good tech and res, but still clean. Super fun and enjoyable. Legend X Mk. II.

4. LP E7 Exclusive Edition (Probably BUY) - A great DAP with organic but neutral-natural sound, with three different mode. HD (High Dynamic) mode punches hard on the bass and really fun. Cons may be no android or streaming (can be used as a dac tho) and short battery life. But SQ is easily among the top DAPs and when compared to the likes of 320MAX or N30 LE, its smaller and wayyy lighter, very comfy to hold!

5. SG Audio Hive 'Ulan' 8W (Contemplating) - A top class Pure Silver cable that enhances texture, detail retrievals, resolution, energy, and tighter bass. Gives only a hint of brightness. Very supple, easy to manage, and soft to the touch.

Honorable mention, I'd add that i might be making a Custom Leather IEM case with @Visveswaran Umashankar's up and coming Leather IEM/Headphone case brand called "ALT-R". Might need to save up first though!
What is the approximate price for the Elysian Dio?

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #86,288 of 88,379
I just finished with the Craft Ears Tour and their Hybrid 3 Pro really caught my attention. Very detailed while still being musical (not sterile), big sound stage and excellent bass texture. :beerchug::L3000:

You mean the Custom Art tour? Because Hybrid 3 Pro is a Custom Art IEM. :sweat_smile:

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #86,290 of 88,379
Let me guess.

You would enjoy the Cadenza and Waner. The CRA might be “so so”. The Dioko might be disappointing. The moondrop Chu 2 if 50/50 between “hey, it’s pretty okay” and “meh; it is what it is”

Haha, that might be very accurate! :smile: I honestly have no idea what to expect. I didn't pay attention to reviews or impressions beforehand, so everything has a clean slate.

Oh before I forget, I won't be evaluating the Dioko as a part of this round-up. I sloppily included it in the photo, only because it came in with the rest of this mail call.

Apr 12, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #86,293 of 88,379
EE Triton is an LX MK2? I thought it was more in the direction of Odin but with more bass than anything.
I was surprised at some people calling it a mini-Raven or a reference EE model, because I (and everyone else I talked to) heard a lot of bass. :D I think the Triton's slow drop from bass to low-mids already opposes the ODIN's sound, which had an exponential drop from there. It's what gave it its leanness, in addition to the upper-midrange bump. The Triton definitely has a thick lushness to its sound. It does have an upper-mid rise to cut against it, but not to the degree of the ODIN or EVO IMO. Its treble was more linear and further extended too; smooth, and levelled just enough to sit in the mix; not elevated to a crisp degree like the Raven.

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #86,294 of 88,379
I do kinda want the DC Elite but that volume knob was so damn annoying. Also I heard it was a power hog.

Anything nearing that sound quality at that size max and at that price range max, but not as much of a power hog?
Try W4 (non EX version) - it has different tuning but very good package overall, including output power and power efficiency.

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #86,295 of 88,379
I was surprised at some people calling it a mini-Raven or a reference EE model, because I (and everyone else I talked to) heard a lot of bass. :D I think the Triton's slow drop from bass to low-mids already opposes the ODIN's sound, which had an exponential drop from there. It's what gave it its leanness, in addition to the upper-midrange bump. The Triton definitely has a thick lushness to its sound. It does have an upper-mid rise to cut against it, but not to the degree of the ODIN or EVO IMO. Its treble was more linear and further extended too; smooth, and levelled just enough to sit in the mix; not elevated to a crisp degree like the Raven.
You have a way of describing specific sound on paper in a way just about everyone can understand. I admire you for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back