The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #86,266 of 88,379
Most people have the decency, dignity & self awareness to either adapt to the norms and vibe of an established community they stumble onto, or just quietly go somewhere else if they don't mesh with it. An unfortunate minority will whine, project and, passive aggressively or otherwise, attempt to poison the atmosphere of the place. In those cases the best recourse is to ignore and make use of the ignore feature.
Yeah. I'm too old to be so reactive on forums anymore. I've learned that reacting just makes me look and feel bad. No one wins in those scenarios. I just put people on my ignore list and move on. Life's too dang short, and the world's too dang nasty these days, and we're all just here (supposedly) to enjoy ourselves for a bit.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #86,267 of 88,379
My only problem with the Pentaconn Coreir tips is the fact that the bore diameter is pretty much fixed due to the stem material being metal.. so there are only so many IEMs that I can fit on them..

I was so afraid that the metal part of the tips could damage IEMs nozzles that are made of resin or other softer materials..

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #86,268 of 88,379
Yeah. I'm too old to be so reactive on forums anymore. I just put people on my ignore list and move on. Life's too dang short, and the world's too dang nasty these days, and we're all just here (supposedly) to enjoy ourselves for a bit.
I think it is important to acknowledge that there is a learning curve. I am grateful to @Rockwell75 for teaching me how to use the multi-quote. Sometimes people need to be given the benefit of the doubt for new head-fi members. If people are either repeat offenders or post spam/trolling then I agree with @Rockwell75. Ignore and move on. Follow nothing but your own heart and the beat of the music.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #86,270 of 88,379
:smile: That doesn't always work. My first 7k-8k posts were made before reactions were a thing here.
Are you calling yourself old (In Headfi age ofc 🤭

I listened to it again at CJ after hearing all the big dogs, and I was relieved to find it still easily amongst the top. Getting one in custom form today or tomorrow, as soon as I get this design locked in. 😁
I wasn't sure if I'd even like Feiwan. But I'm considering custom now. Bad timing to have the Bird come back in shortly before, but Feiwan has the edge 😅

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #86,271 of 88,379
Watercooler I was wondering if someone could help. Has anyone heard anything about the AME Raven from MusicTeck? I tried to find a review, unfortunately I am unable to find anything on them. Will reach out to MusicTeck, but figured I would reach out here in case anyone has any idea of their sound signature.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #86,272 of 88,379
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #86,274 of 88,379
I’ll raise my hand as one of the outliers who preferred the OG Pilgrim over the Noir. Yes, the Noir did have a more forward midrange, as well as a very slight technical improvement. But, I personally liked the balance and instrument positioning of the OG more. If the pricing rumors are to be believed, I think the it’s the better buy. Again, that’s just me.

I’m on the Alter Ego train as well. Without spoiling my CJ SG post too much, I think it’s a lesson in using unique driver timbres to revitalize a familiar tonality. It didn’t have a sig I’d never heard before, but it did deliver it in a way that felt exciting and new.

The EE proto you’re talking about is the Triton. Think huge, thick lows first, then mids and highs that complement, then a stage that remains impressively clean and wide despite that bass. I personally think it’s a basshead IEM through-and-through, and it’s their best one since the OG LX. I heard they’re trying to give it a teeny bit more balance, which would be welcome, so I look forward to what becomes of it.

Anyway, here’s my list!

1) Lime Ears Terra (Green): This is one of two prototypes Emil brought to SG, and it had some of the most brimming, melodic, sing-song-y mids I heard all trip. In a way, this and the VE X are sides of the same soulful coin. The Terra is its brighter, more vibrant counterpart.

2) Elysian Acoustics Lab Dio: Out of respect for Lee, I’m not gonna comment too much on this one. I’ll just say it was (arguably) the best IEM technically that I heard at the show, and I look forward to the day - year? - he finally gets a CIEM team together. :D

3) 7th Acoustic Asteria: I was hard on the Supernova for having such a safe tuning, and I basically berated them at PAPI (Portable Audio Party Indonesia) 2023 for doing the same thing to the Asteria prototype they had there. Now, with its latest revision, I’m elated to say that they’ve finally created a flagship was some friggin’ character. Neutral with a sub-bass lift, outstanding technique and one of the best high-pass crossovers I heard all show (meaning where the bass cuts off and transitions to the midrange), this one is a serious one to watch, and it couldn’t be prouder that it’s coming from Indonesia.

4) Noble Audio Onyx: It’s my favorite Noble release by a country mile. As someone who found the Ragnar far too bright and the Ronin too mushy, the Onyx is a brilliant in-between. It’s a dense, solid, weighty IEM with the perfect amount of cut to its treble and superb technique. I look forward to when Noble decide to offer it in custom form, so I can daydream about owning one.

5) EE Triton: See above. :wink:

I’ll give the Alter Ego an honorable mention too. It’s too pricey for me to own as a universal. It’s at a price range where I’m strictly custom or nothing. But, from its build quality, to its tuning versatility, to how well both tunings are executed… I’m hard-pressed to fault it. ‘Excellent work from Melodic Artification, Lord help that tongue-twister of a name. :D

This is one that I unfortunately missed at CanJam. Every time I walked past, it was always occupied. ‘Also was a bit disappointed that the Y-splits weren’t there for the Euclid and Aristotle. Eric said the CNC work was underway, and the short window between CJ NY and SG meant he couldn’t present them at the latter show. But, I did get to have a feel for the cables, and they were silky-smooth as always, despite the bigger gauge.

I listened to it again at CJ after hearing all the big dogs, and I was relieved to find it still easily amongst the top. Getting one in custom form today or tomorrow, as soon as I get this design locked in. 😁
Would you be able to compare the above to VEX when you post your impressions please? c:

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #86,275 of 88,379
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?

For myself:

1) Elysian Pilgrim Noir - Loved the OG, Noir sounds even more up my alley
2) Elysian Dio-- not really a potential buy for me, but I'm dying to heari it.
3) Melodic Artification Alter Ego -- This one was a show highlight for a very diverse range of folks-- I'm quite interested in hearing it.
4) iBasso PB5-- I'm not really a dongle or portable Amp guy but I might eventually jump on one of these just to try it.
5) An EE prototpe I heard rumours about along the lines of an updated LX-- anyone have any more info on that?
Notes:
Immanis and the Narukami AMP were the highlights of Canjam SG for me. It was the wrong (or maybe right?) choice when we came early to canjam before they open the doors and tried the immanis :joy: BEST HEADPHONE EVER! everything else i tried after were... not as nice if i can put it that way :laughing:

Also, Personally, Pilgrim Noir >>> Pilgrim, i find it more engaging, with a tad warmer sound and meatier mids and forward vocals. Bass is also more present in the Noir. I also dig the black metal design with gold logos.

There are a few things in my mind after SG CanJam 2024 and some I've set on buying:

1. Elysian DIO (BUY) - This and STORM will be my pinnacle IEMs as two that conquers the world with its tuning, class, and level of performance. None can touch them.

2. Melodic Artification "Alter Ego" (BUY with upgrade silver alloy cable) - The smooth vocals and bass texture is addictive, easy, and super enjoyable for a long listen. The build, tuning, price, is giving so much value in a world where IEMs prices are getting more and more expensive. Easily competes with 3-4k IEMs. I'd pick this over Traillii or Traillii Ti for vocals. The shells are so well-built, light, but not cheap feeling. I have a feeling that at least 20 members will own this IEM in their collection within this year.

3. EE Triton (Probably BUY) - If they offer CIEM, this will be my gym set paired with Ifi Go Pods. A bassy iem, warm, that punches hard and has visceral bass with good tech and res, but still clean. Super fun and enjoyable. Legend X Mk. II.

4. LP E7 Exclusive Edition (Probably BUY) - A great DAP with organic but neutral-natural sound, with three different mode. HD (High Dynamic) mode punches hard on the bass and really fun. Cons may be no android or streaming (can be used as a dac tho) and short battery life. But SQ is easily among the top DAPs and when compared to the likes of 320MAX or N30 LE, its smaller and wayyy lighter, very comfy to hold!

5. SG Audio Hive 'Ulan' 8W (Contemplating) - A top class Pure Silver cable that enhances texture, detail retrievals, resolution, energy, and tighter bass. Gives only a hint of brightness. Very supple, easy to manage, and soft to the touch.

Honorable mention, I'd add that i might be making a Custom Leather IEM case with @Visveswaran Umashankar's up and coming Leather IEM/Headphone case brand called "ALT-R". Might need to save up first though!

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #86,276 of 88,379
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?

For myself:

3) Melodic Artification Alter Ego -- This one was a show highlight for a very diverse range of folks-- I'm quite interested in hearing it.
4) iBasso PB5-- I'm not really a dongle or portable Amp guy but I might eventually jump on one of these just to try it.
5) An EE prototpe I heard rumours about along the lines of an updated LX-- anyone have any more info on that?
1. Canpur 622b
2. Oriolus Monachaa
3. UM Mest mk3
4. UM Mentor
5. Madoo Typ821

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #86,277 of 88,379
🤣

IMG_2387.jpeg

Anybody want to place a wager as to whether these will actually impress me or not? 🙂

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #86,278 of 88,379

For myself:

1. Alter Ego…
  2. Monachaa
  3. Onyx

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #86,279 of 88,379

For myself:

This is a tough one as I feel like I'm reaching some sort of hobby plateau. I'll give it a go anyway:

1. Anni 23. I'm yet to hear an Elysian IEM I like and this seems to be the current flagbearer for many people I trust. I should finally be getting ears on it in a week or two and look forward to giving it a proper shakedown. More than anything I need to hear for myself what "the world's best treble" is supposed to sound like, and also how it's much-maligned bass stands up to closer scrutiny against my bass-first collection.

2. Eletech Aristotle and Euclid. It didn't take long for @Eric Chong's cables to win me over with their gorgeous aesthetics, excellent ergonomics, and sound quality, so I have high hopes for this take on copper and silver 'coaxial style' designs. Thicker cables are also my thing, and I'm quite curious to see Eletech's take on these.

3. EE Triton. Assuming this is a continuation - or evolution - of the Legend line, I'm interested. Legend X is still my favourite EE IEM by some distance and has a permanent place in my collection. If Triton is its spiritual 'successor', then I need to hear it. Too many false starts and 'LX pretenders' have come and gone, though, so I'm not really holding my breath that this is 'the one'.

4. Lana Del Rey's 'Lasso'. A new Lana Del Rey album is always one of the highlights of my year, and this year should be no different. It's supposed to be a change of pace for Lana, a so-called country album, but I'd listen to an album of Lana reading the phone book, so that's not really a concern. Considering the same team responsible for her last few albums is behind this one, I can't wait for September to come around so I can hear what it's all about.

5. Sony DMP-1Z. This is more an unobtanium 'wishlist' item given it's ridiculous cost (even used) and rarity, but I still consider the original WM1Z Walkman to be the best portable source ever made, pound for pound, so getting to hear, let alone own, the best possible iteration of this sound in a still-transportable package is a long-held dream that refuses to die. Getting this would likely signal my exit point from the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back