The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #85,936 of 88,279
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 20.48.11.png

Greetings ladies and jellyspoons! :) You might notice that my name has changed - it's still me Tokpa - but after a lot of requests and good advice I have started my own review website! And along with the new site, comes a new name here. In part, to keep some anonymity from the "real world," as I need to keep my audioquest (addiction) separate from my professional /personal life. The other is simply, I love the new name, and where it can go for me. A site for all my reviews, a place to share my favorite music and new inspirations, as well as my guitar playing and general audio banter and musings. It's a bit bare bones for now, more to add, but I invite you all to check it out if you like.

www.tonetexturesoul.com

As a guitarist, I was always in search of the perfect tone. Every cable, every pedal, their order, the amps and tubes. With portable audio I am the same: in search of the perfect synergy, that perfect chain that erases the world and sucks you into the portal that is music. Tones, textures, and always a bit of soul.

Congratulations Tokpa! Wishing you the best.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #85,937 of 88,279
Symphonium Titan has arrived! :L3000:

Symphonium Titan-16.jpg

Symphonium Titan-17.jpg

Symphonium Titan-10.jpg

God these sound so good.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #85,938 of 88,279

Greetings ladies and jellyspoons! :) You might notice that my name has changed - it's still me Tokpa - but after a lot of requests and good advice I have started my own review website! And along with the new site, comes a new name here. In part, to keep some anonymity from the "real world," as I need to keep my audioquest (addiction) separate from my professional /personal life. The other is simply, I love the new name, and where it can go for me. A site for all my reviews, a place to share my favorite music and new inspirations, as well as my guitar playing and general audio banter and musings. It's a bit bare bones for now, more to add, but I invite you all to check it out if you like.

www.tonetexturesoul.com

As a guitarist, I was always in search of the perfect tone. Every cable, every pedal, their order, the amps and tubes. With portable audio I am the same: in search of the perfect synergy, that perfect chain that erases the world and sucks you into the portal that is music. Tones, textures, and always a bit of soul.
Wishing all success, although that won't be necessary, as your writing style, photography and way of conveying information and opinions in such a relatable way, insures that your website will be a hit!

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #85,939 of 88,279

www.tonetexturesoul.com

The pictures on your review site are better than most marketing pics of these companies.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #85,940 of 88,279

www.tonetexturesoul.com

Wow, this is exciting!

Always appreciate reading your thoughts and descriptions.

Ramble on!

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #85,941 of 88,279
There were 4 (four) sets added to Classifieds just last week.

drftr
And they are certainly more than $150-$300 off retail.
I think he wanted the Trifecta to have detail retrieval as well as delicateness of those detail presentation of a Susvara, but no IEMs so far even reaches Susvara levels of detail yet IMO. Trifecta is actually quite the opposite of Susvara on the overall grand scheme of things, but I love the Trifecta for its unique grandiose presentation as well as that analog bass that no other IEMs have ever captured yet
Yeah so I'm in the minority about Susvara too but that's another can of worms I don't want to open. Still, you may be onto something - I don't like my music delicate. That's the trick. I want it to surround me and carry me away. I want it to be full and meaty and to transport me away from where I am. Currently Monachaa fitting that bill to a T. And on the other side of the spectrum, Trifecta... Music without body is like imagining sex versus actually having it...

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #85,942 of 88,279
Symphonium Titan has arrived! :L3000:

Symphonium Titan-16.jpg
Symphonium Titan-17.jpg
Symphonium Titan-10.jpg

God these sound so good.
I know Titan is a basshead IEM, but how does its resolution compared to Crimson? I like Crimson a lot, but if Titan is Crimson with more bass, it will be very interesting.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #85,943 of 88,279
A bit off topic, and out of the blue, and probably way belated, but I'd like to thank @HiFiHawaii808 for our badges.

12313190.jpg

Having a little insight into how much these things cost, and doing some dead reckoning as to how many have been made over the years, that's a non-trivial sum. But beyond that, I appreciate the extra bandwidth that it takes to organize the batches, flying them around the world, and literally hand delivering them to us.

Thank you @HiFiHawaii808! :pray: :smiley:

It's also useful as a magnet in between events, I love practicality!

PXL_20240409_202222427.jpg

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #85,944 of 88,279
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #85,945 of 88,279
Symphonium Titan initial impressions.

Tl;dr - very satisfying bass and dimensional staging.

IMG_4704.jpeg

Stock tips lasted all of 5 minutes. Divinus Velvets bring as much bass but more detail and texture, so the rest of these impressions are with those and stock everything else.

Loads of bass and sub bass that slams and decays and rumbles without losing detail, sloping cleanly towards a midrange that favours male vocals and instruments in that register.

A spacious well-proportioned soundstage - not overly wide but with some proper depth and height to it - as well as good imaging and layering.

Treble is smooth and well extended, which helps with all the spatial detail and positional cues.

Good dynamics. If your music leaps from thunderous to practically inaudible, Titan follows.

IMG_4616.jpeg

Requires a bit of juice. Past noon on the Tsuranagi. Extra high gain on the Dethonray DTR1+. And so on. In fact I hadn’t realised the DTR1+ was capable of rendering such deep sub bass but now I know.

I usually index hard for coherency, and the sub bass here is of audibly different character - more bloom, slower decay - than the rest of the frequency range (though one might argue it can reasonably be expected of a hybrid). The Titan is not exactly brightness and sunshine, but when it hits ultra low frequencies it turns into another, darker beast. It’s kind of tantalising though, and I’m enjoying it so not inclined to roast it on that count, not just yet anyway.

Anyway we’ll see what happens after some burn in.

And yes there’s a vent - cleverly hidden. No pressure buildup that I can feel.

IMG_4712.jpeg

Paired with the new Einstürzende Neubauten album as I write this.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #85,947 of 88,279
And they are certainly more than $150-$300 off retail.

Yeah so I'm in the minority about Susvara too but that's another can of worms I don't want to open. Still, you may be onto something - I don't like my music delicate. That's the trick. I want it to surround me and carry me away. I want it to be full and meaty and to transport me away from where I am. Currently Monachaa fitting that bill to a T. And on the other side of the spectrum, Trifecta... Music without body is like imagining sex versus actually having it...
This is a great description for how I want to hear music. At least the music I listen too. I need a certain level of technical proficiency with it as well, but it must have that soul and body and musically to it. That's why to me stuff like the Anni just doesn't get me there. It's too delicate. Perhaps if I listened to only classical and folk or acoustic vocals or bluegrass. But I don't 🤷

Really interested in the monachaa, but poor right now. Curious for comparisons of the monachaa to the Volür of anyone has them.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #85,948 of 88,279
Best all rounder Iem under 2k used or new?

Something that is forgiving of poor recordings is a plus. They’ll be used mostly for Jazz, metal, ambient, electronic, post-rock, 60-70s rock etc.
Haven't heard it myself but the monachaa might fit the bill. It seems it needs to be driven properly to shine, more power needed than the average IEM, at least from what I've read here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back