The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #85,921 of 90,401
Am I reading things wrong or is the storm prototype a DD? I heard someone say it had "woofers."
A woofer simply refers to a bass driver. It doesn't have to be a DD. The STORM has BA woofers.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #85,922 of 90,401
Funny this is exactly how it sounded to me just now played through my Trifectas. Plus this music is so far from anything I listen to, that this was why I asked you before to help us with tracks/musical tastes so there is context for your reactions to Trifecta. Moving on....
I think I gave an idea of what my usual playlist. It ranges from classic 70s rock to 90s grunge and stoner to prog rock / metal, electornic music, lots of jazz and bluegras stuff. So easily 80% is analog music. I am no basshead though
I think he wanted the Trifecta to have detail retrieval as well as delicateness of those detail presentation of a Susvara, but no IEMs so far even reaches Susvara levels of detail yet IMO. Trifecta is actually quite the opposite of Susvara on the overall grand scheme of things, but I love the Trifecta for its unique grandiose presentation as well as that analog bass that no other IEMs have ever captured yet
huh no? Never expected Trifecta to be anywhere close to Sus, it would be somewhat weird thing to do. I would be already happy if this IEM could provide something similar to an Atrium. Infact I dont think I heard an IEM that is anywhere close to a Susvara. Maybe Trailli Ti with some shortcomings.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #85,923 of 90,401
For those who tried Melodic Artification Alter Ego, can tell if its semi-open design affects ambient noise isolation negatively??

The EXT is exceptionally well insulated throughout and is a semi open, I expect it to be a similar case, isolating outside noise is something important to me :)
I thought it had the standard amount of isolation IEMs typically provide. I'm with you in that I think it's semi-open.

Ok. Curiosity is killing the cat over here. What sources have been driving the Alter Ego and how big is that thing? The shell looks huge in the unboxing video. Can someone provide some perspective?
I drove it very easily out of my R8ii. It's an average-sized IEM. No one at the show had any fit issues AFAIK. Here's a photo of it on top of a standard-sized IEM case:

DSC01741-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #85,924 of 90,401
I think you bring up a good point in that when you’re playing around in the high-end, one needs to pay close attention to resale values. If you were to buy a full price trifecta and didn’t like them after the initial return window, you’re taking a massive $1000+ hit. I’ve seen them sitting for around $2k on the classifieds and other places. You could buy a brand new Bonneville for the same money you lost on that pair. Something like an Anni (which I know is harder to get), if you don’t like them it would turn out to be only a $150-300 audition which isn’t the worst thing in the world. Moral of the story is, don’t buy blind and try before you buy.
The same goes for any high priced IEM that is no longer fully “in the spotlights” at the moment. You could buy a brand new Jewel for >5k, and immediately lose 2.5k in resale value.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #85,926 of 90,401
I thought it had the standard amount of isolations IEMs typically provide. I'm with you in that I think it's semi-open.

I drove it very easily out of my R8ii. It's an average-sized IEM. No one at the show had any fit issues AFAIK. Here's a photo of it on top of a standard-sized IEM case:

DSC01741-Enhanced-NR.jpg

What do you think about Alter Ego vs VE-X?

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #85,927 of 90,401
What do you think about Alter Ego vs VE-X?
I didn't A/B them, but based on memory, the Alter Ego has a more explosive, dynamic sorta presentation. They aren't far apart in terms of body (when the Alter Ego is in its fuller tuning mode), but the Alter Ego has harder edges and a punchier timbre. The VE X is more relaxed and light - elegant - with its transients. So, I'd say the Alter Ego is neutral-natural and punchy, while the VE X is warm and laidback, yet airy (or fresh-sounding). I'd need an A/B to comment on technical performance.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #85,928 of 90,401
I think I gave an idea of what my usual playlist. It ranges from classic 70s rock to 90s grunge and stoner to prog rock / metal, electornic music, lots of jazz and bluegras stuff. So easily 80% is analog music. I am no basshead though

huh no? Never expected Trifecta to be anywhere close to Sus, it would be somewhat weird thing to do. I would be already happy if this IEM could provide something similar to an Atrium. Infact I dont think I heard an IEM that is anywhere close to a Susvara. Maybe Trailli Ti with some shortcomings.
I thought it had the standard amount of isolations IEMs typically provide. I'm with you in that I think it's semi-open.

DSC01741-Enhanced-NR.jpg
Thank you. I'm definitely interested and I would be driving it with the R8ii as well. I spent the weekend with the R8ii and Monachaa. I will be posting impressions eventually, but early indications are that they make a really good pairing.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #85,930 of 90,401
Thanks for this. The Annihilator was too big for my liking. Is the Alter Ego a substantially easier fit?
Yep, definitely an easier fit. As @Deezel177 mentioned, there wasn't anyone I know who demoed and had issue with its fit or comfort.

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #85,931 of 90,401
@AxLvR What is the Balrog cable in your sig, Albert? Has the rest of the world been asleep at the wheel?

drftr
It's a special cable joop :wink: a bespoke pure LCC copper 8W cable with 21.5 AWG and copper shielding that was made for me and only me muahahahahaha a 1 of 1

I might be selling it tho, need the cash :sob: any takers? :joy:

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #85,933 of 90,401
Singapore Day 0 Impressions!!

Finally, I have landed back in India after an adventurous audio journey at Singapore the past week. These impressions are from day 0 of mine in Singapore. I listened to a lot of stuff that day at Jaben Uncle Wilson store, AvOne store, and Zepp as well. Zepp impressions are not here because I met Jordan there and spent a lot of time talking(but I listened to a lot of stuff over there as well) so those product impressions I will share later on. Till then enjoy these.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.11 AM (2).jpeg

QDC V14:

Such a solid bass response, it feels like a DD is delivering such deep-diving slamming bass response. Ultimate level clarity for midrange and treble. The detail level is insane, stage feels a bit 2D, could use more depth. But overall, a set that is extremely detailed and fun at the same time. Tonally it doesn’t have any kind of harshness or shoutyness, although vocals feel a tad bit lean(just a tad bit and probably a nitpick).
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.12 AM (1).jpeg

QDC Tiger:

Jeremy From AvOne also helped me to listen to the QDC Tiger. This IEM has 6BA and 2EST setup and got those crazy good looks. A lively and immersive sounding set with a good bass reach and exceptional midrange clarity. Vocals on the Tiger are solid, and those minute details in the highs are presented beautifully as well. Overall has a slightly warm tone.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.12 AM.jpeg

AK Kann Ultra:

Such a beautiful device, the best-looking Kann Series DAP or probably the best-looking AK DAP yet. Sound has a very open presentation with a neutral tone. Has a hint of boost in the sub-bass region, but mostly neutral. UI is smooth and responsive.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.07 AM (2).jpeg

Canpur 622B:

Probably the best find during this CanJam trip. I got to audition it briefly for a good amount of time at Jaben Store before the event itself. I instantly loved the set for its insanely solid bass response, rich tonality, and that exquisite level of detail. TBH I had heard good things about Canpur and the pair just made me more excited to check out their other products as well. Canpur 622B for the win from my side.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.08 AM.jpeg

Canpur 54E:

Some people might thing what kind of a driver setup is this, 5BA and 4EST, idk how but Canpur has managed to deliver an astounding bass response with the BA and EST hybrid here. It sounds simply phenomenal. It is not as detailed or as resolving as the 622B, and also that one has more slam to the lowre-end as well, but on its place 54E stands firm and is a highly capable set.(And I guess this image is for 32E i don't remember honestly).
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.04 AM.jpeg

UM Mason FS:

The costliest IEM, priced at around 13000 SGD, Jaben uncle again provided me with this to listen at my leisure. That guy is a gem I am telling you, and this IEM, After spending about 30-45 mins with it, I can only note down one thing, It sounds like a honey, and completely effortless. Like, it just sounds right, tonally, detailing, resolution, everything sounds perfect. It is immersive and captivating, and the best part is it has insane details but no harshness, no brittleness, the tonality is well maintained throughout the frequency band. Sadly price is the biggest issue for the Mason FS for me.:frowning2:
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.07 AM.jpeg

L&P E7:

Okay, again got to try this briefly before the show itself. Tonally, damn perfect, vocals and instruments sound so natural and lively that it is a captivating DAP. I tried it with Kinera Verdandi, Loki, UM Mason FS, and a few more IEMs, I would say, it would please and sound like a heavenly gift for vocal and tone lovers, although i would say it has a bit softer bass response.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.05 AM (3).jpeg

Kinera Loki:

The elder brother of Verdandi, the Loki is insanely special in terms of sound. it has a strong, slamming, and physical-feel providing bass response. Detail-wise, bass-wise, and stage-wise, it is a big and massive IEM. Feels like a proper big brother to the Verdandi. Vocals just feel a bit thinner in comparison to Verdandi, which hsa a more musical vocal tone.

Ice Lab Prismatica:

Jeremy from AVOne store introduced me to this 5BA IEM. Priced at about 1299SGD, this one has extremely good sound presentation. Despite an all-BA setup, the bass of Prismatica is insane. It is like ground shaking, and that deliciously done mid-bass. Next even with such a heavy bass, the midrange is intact and has rich, solid vocal clarity. Vocals carry that emotive factor that makes music listening pleasurable. Extremely good sound, still need a bit of time to get out of its presentation. This is the first hidden gem, a set I did not expect but got and that sounded so good. Probably get it. I have a picture of this in my DSLR will upload it later.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-10 at 1.32.12 AM (2).jpeg

Aroma Fei Wan:

Talk about outstanding sound, and you have the Aroma Fei Wan. I again tried this briefly at my visit to the AVOne store before the show. Man that solid bass, it is so fast, and responsive, and then the way this pair manages the macro and minor transients has ltierally blown me away. Man sounds so damn perfect!!! I spent about 30 mins with this and I feel like I should have spent a few hours more.

All in all, First day was super exciting, Uncle Wilson was very kind with us even though he was super busy packing stuff for the event.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #85,934 of 90,401
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 20.48.11.png

Greetings ladies and jellyspoons! :) You might notice that my name has changed - it's still me Tokpa - but after a lot of requests and good advice I have started my own review website! And along with the new site, comes a new name here. In part, to keep some anonymity from the "real world," as I need to keep my audioquest (addiction) separate from my professional /personal life. The other is simply, I love the new name, and where it can go for me. A site for all my reviews, a place to share my favorite music and new inspirations, as well as my guitar playing and general audio banter and musings. It's a bit bare bones for now, more to add, but I invite you all to check it out if you like.

www.tonetexturesoul.com

As a guitarist, I was always in search of the perfect tone. Every cable, every pedal, their order, the amps and tubes. With portable audio I am the same: in search of the perfect synergy, that perfect chain that erases the world and sucks you into the portal that is music. Tones, textures, and always a bit of soul.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #85,935 of 90,401
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 20.48.11.png

Greetings ladies and jellyspoons! :) You might notice that my name has changed - it's still me Tokpa - but after a lot of requests and good advice I have started my own review website! And along with the new site, comes a new name here. In part, to keep some anonymity from the "real world," as I need to keep my audioquest (addiction) separate from my professional /personal life. The other is simply, I love the new name, and where it can go for me. A site for all my reviews, a place to share my favorite music and new inspirations, as well as my guitar playing and general audio banter and musings. It's a bit bare bones for now, more to add, but I invite you all to check it out if you like.

www.tonetexturesoul.com

As a guitarist, I was always in search of the perfect tone. Every cable, every pedal, their order, the amps and tubes. With portable audio I am the same: in search of the perfect synergy, that perfect chain that erases the world and sucks you into the portal that is music. Tones, textures, and always a bit of soul.
Great rebranding, my friend! Hope it works out exactly the way you hope and expect!

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back