The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #85,306 of 89,920
What is your favourite diamond-themed song?

My vote goes to Judas Priest's live version of Joan Baez' Diamonds And Rust from their live album Unleashed In The East.

drftr
Quite a few that come to mind..
Diamonds - DeWolff
Diamonds & Pearls -Prince
Diamonds on the soles of her shoes - Paul Simon
Lucy in the sky with diamonds - The Beatles

Didn't realize I new that many.
Special mention : Black Diamond - Burakka som sistema

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #85,308 of 89,920
Ok super obscure 70s Rock Legs Diamond -A Diamond is a hard rock

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #85,309 of 89,920
Too Busy Thinking About My Baby

Happy 85th to Marvin Gaye

You are missed…

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #85,311 of 89,920

My vote goes to Judas Priest's live version of Joan Baez' Diamonds And Rust from their live album Unleashed In The East.

drftr

Obviously =)

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #85,312 of 89,920
Really love hearing everyone's feelings about Monachaa, an iem I demoed on the Watercooler tour, and rather promptly thereafter, bought my own. So yeah, I obviously like it very much.

Couple of things I've noticed about it, which have been mentioned by others as well...

It takes a solid 200 hours of burn in, this is pretty imperative. It takes a lot of power, good power, to drive. This takes my DAPs to high gain, so I doubt cheap dongles will make a happy listener. It's highly tip dependent and has a particularly short nozzle; my preference here has become Coreir brass tips which work well on short nozzles and usually do nice things to the SQ and stage (I've also used the Penon black liqueur tips to great effect). Finally, nice as the included PWA cable is, Monachaa needs better. I've had great experiences with PWA FT, EA Code 23 and 24 (would like to try 24c on it, the colors should be great), and Penon Renata.

When dialed in, you understand why Oriolus has such a good reputation for tuning. This one is outstanding! Deep, sub bass, with thick mids, vocals a little forward evoking a V to U shape, treble to rival Anni 23, and a soundstage to die for.

IMHO, a contender for best at $2k or under (and certainly better than many $3k+ plus sets I've heard!). If course, YMMV, etc., just my opinion!

1000018187.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #85,313 of 89,920

drftr
One and only

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #85,314 of 89,920
Really love hearing everyone's feelings about Monachaa, am iem I demoed on the Watercooler tour, and rather promptly thereafter, bought my own. So yeah, I obviously like it very much.

Couple of things I've noticed about it, which have been mentioned by others as well...

It takes a solid 200 hours of burn in, this is pretty imperative. It takes a lot of power, good power, to drive. This takes my DAPs to high gain, so I doubt cheap dongles will make a happy listener. It's highly tip dependent and has a particularly short nozzle; my preference here has become Coreir brass tips which work well on short nozzles and usually do nice things to the SQ and stage (I've also used the Penon black liqueur tips to great effect). Finally, nice as the included PWA cable is, Monachaa needs better. I've had great experiences with PWA FT, EA Code 23 and 24 (would like to try 24c on it, the colors should be great), and Penon Renata.

When dialed in, you understand why Oriolus has such a good reputation for tuning. This one is outstanding! Deep, sub bass, with thick mids, vocals a little forward evoking a V to U shape, treble to rival Anni 23, and a soundstage to die for.

IMHO, a contender for best at $2k or under (and certainly better than many $3k+ plus sets I've heard!). If course, YMMV, etc., just my opinion!

Coincidentally I received a question from @BORUSSIA about how I felt about Monachaa vs KR5 vs RN6. Now I haven't heard Monachaa, wasn't "too positive" about KR5, and loved RN6, so my personal opinion is as useless as ever, but perhaps anyone of you can be a great guide for him.

All this talk about music... Shame on you crazy diamond.

drftr

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #85,316 of 89,920
Coincidentally I received a question from @BORUSSIA about how I felt about Monachaa vs KR5 vs RN6. Now I haven't heard Monachaa, wasn't "too positive" about KR5, and loved RN6, so my personal opinion is as useless as ever, but perhaps anyone of you can be a great guide for him.

All this talk about music... Shame on you crazy diamond.

drftr
He PMd me with the same question. I'll stand by the comment, if you've got $2k max to spend on an IEM, Monachaa would be my choice, and even at that price, it hits above it!

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #85,318 of 89,920
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #85,319 of 89,920
No worried, I understand German. Just not Germans.

drftr
You made my day 😅
That's what Joop does, he makes days.

... That is until he gets to 'reviewing' and, in his style, mentions nothing but negatives of everyone's favourite sets. Then, he doesn't make days.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #85,320 of 89,920
Day 2 of UPS nonsense: "Out for delivery" at 4 AM.

Expected slot is 12PM-3:40 PM.

Either let me do a signature release or change it to a drop off point 🤬
Sorry to hear that, hope you will get it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back