The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 25, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #84,496 of 87,760
Yeah that was me :wink:

Such a great event and top notch organization and amazing venue I can't thank @MatW and @drftr enough for this epic meetup! (by the way @MatW I owe you for dinner let me know so that I can send a PayPal your way!)

It's going to be hard to top that one, but we'll try!

No way I would have had the opportunity to audition anything like the insanely great IEMs we have no place to audition them in Paris (maybe there is a business idea there...) but more importantly to meet the great people of the community... it's been an energizing two days with such a passionate and diverse bunch :heart_eyes: @NYanakiev asked me at the end what was the highlight of those two days and I said definitely the people, yeah amazing gear for sure and things I missed like Trailli and Trailli Ti, Fei wan and many others but I spent more than half the time talking and I sure don't regret it 🤩. I was able to blame @Tokpakorlo in person for his mouth watering cable reviews and how much it has cost me lately :laughing:

Great diner mainly with @Scuba Devils @armstrj2 and @F700 :beers: as the place was a bit loud and discussing with everyone being quite a big party was not very easy although @slumberman also dropped in for a very interesting conversation about artists and how he tries to get hem to open to the joy of better gear to listen to music and not only to mix it. Many conversations also at the venue, too many to mention everyone !

I'll post impressions of what I listened to a bit later as I am also 3 weeks into a new job and it's been intense... A lot of amazing stuff for sure my head was spinning :dizzy_face: !

How did I miss Nic ! 😭
Or maybe it was sunday at lunch or afternoon ?

By the way the drive back was excellent, I was home by 7.30pm Paris was not as swamped by traffic jams as usual 🥳
Sounds awesome, wish I was there. Any feedback on the CMA18P? Did anyone try it as an external amp only?

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #84,497 of 87,760
Any French headfiers here like @Andricop, @davidmolliere and @DaveStarWalker?

I will be in Paris for 13 hours before heading to Provence on June 7th at 2 PM via train.

Landing sometime early on 6th. Would love to spend evening / morning with you all before I head to the station.

If you’re in the city and have the spot for me to crash, let me know too!
Hey, thanks for pinging us, @lafeuill might be interested too and I have a bunch of people I know that might join in :)

Let us know when you have more visibility on landing but I'll book the evening for that day right away!

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #84,498 of 87,760
Selected impressions with the WM1Z original (herein '1Z og')

Stroopwafels: the meet hosts and everyone in general were a delight, generous and extremely funny. I ignored this treat for the entire trip until leaving on Sunday, for the airport. "Anything you do not take will get binned". Sweet. Chewy. Caramel-ey. Should have tried a 'fresh' one in the town *sigh*. The sound score is 0/10 if you like a crunch to the bite or 10/10 if you demand silence

Cayin N30LE - was enjoying the Hiby RS8 (?) then tried this: dynamic, physically massive and makes every monitor sound ridiculously good

Hugo 2 - this was the other source that impressed with an asterisk it took the owner 50 hours to get the 2go module to work

SP3000 - not a sound review, the battery had completely drained only 2 weeks on from being charged by the owner. Really A&K?

Camelot - balanced, vocal not over thick or thin, extended, no harshness, one of the few with spherical staging like my 64 customs. Empire Ears probably has deeper more thunderous bass but Camelot lacks treble annoyances or quirks

P-Zero - thin, anaemic with the 1Z og, came alive with the Diablo 2 + smartphone pairing wow becomes this rich, textured sound

Mentawai - grand full sounding, tonally right, needs a longer listen, cannot believe this is made by a one person operation (I believe)

Bonneville (and untitled project) - enjoyable tuning, rich, warm but can hear the details. I thought the staging was flat, lacked 3D-ness. The untitled project seemed to have more detailed bass. The Trifecta is polarising, this is not that

Volür - I want 64 to put the bass developments into a custom form factor. I may have heard something approaching a hot spot in the upper mids so the Vision Ears VE10 may be a better option

Brass core tips - was able to purchase these talked about brass tips at the meet and yeah for my ears the 1Z og can take 'brighter' tips. Put them on the Ragnar and still enjoyed the listen ha ha

Agnes Obel - without any prior discussion this artist was helpfully everywhere so I mention this only to spread the word

1000005721_edited.jpeg

1000005726_edited.jpeg

1000005730_edited.jpeg

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #84,499 of 87,760
Bonneville (and untitled project) - enjoyable tuning, rich, warm but can hear the details. I thought the staging was flat, lacked 3D-ness. The untitled project seemed to have more detailed bass. The Trifecta is polarising, this is not that
What is this untitled project you speak of? Campfire I assume? Driver complement?

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #84,500 of 87,760
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #84,501 of 87,760
Mar 25, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #84,502 of 87,760
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #84,503 of 87,760
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #84,504 of 87,760
Selected impressions with the WM1Z original (herein '1Z og')

Stroopwafels: the meet hosts and everyone in general were a delight, generous and extremely funny. I ignored this treat for the entire trip until leaving on Sunday, for the airport. "Anything you do not take will get binned". Sweet. Chewy. Caramel-ey. Should have tried a 'fresh' one in the town *sigh*. The sound score is 0/10 if you like a crunch to the bite or 10/10 if you demand silence

Cayin N30LE - was enjoying the Hiby RS8 (?) then tried this: dynamic, physically massive and makes every monitor sound ridiculously good

Hugo 2 - this was the other source that impressed with an asterisk it took the owner 50 hours to get the 2go module to work

SP3000 - not a sound review, the battery had completely drained only 2 weeks on from being charged by the owner. Really A&K?

Camelot - balanced, vocal not over thick or thin, extended, no harshness, one of the few with spherical staging like my 64 customs. Empire Ears probably has deeper more thunderous bass but Camelot lacks treble annoyances or quirks

P-Zero - thin, anaemic with the 1Z og, came alive with the Diablo 2 + smartphone pairing wow becomes this rich, textured sound

Mentawai - grand full sounding, tonally right, needs a longer listen, cannot believe this is made by a one person operation (I believe)

Volür - I want 64 to put the bass developments into a custom form factor. I may have heard something approaching a hot spot in the upper mids so the Vision Ears VE10 may be a better option

Brass core tips - was able to purchase these talked about brass tips at the meet and yeah for my ears the 1Z og can take 'brighter' tips. Put them on the Ragnar and still enjoyed the listen ha ha

Agnes Obel - without any prior discussion this artist was helpfully everywhere so I mention this only to spread the word

1000005721_edited.jpeg

1000005726_edited.jpeg

1000005730_edited.jpeg
spot on with the N30Le and the Camelot. I own both and agree 100%. The bass on the Camelot, though not thunderous has good quantity & quality. I like pairing Eletech cables with them to bring out more of the IEM's best qualities. I pair it with Eletech Illiad

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #84,507 of 87,760
all the best buddy
Thanks.
As far as I am concerned, you are part of the Euro crew, Jörg. Let’s say that you were there in spirit.. Best of luck with your recovery and see you at the next Euro event!
Thank you for your encouraging and compassionate words. I will take them literally.

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #84,508 of 87,760
A few more pics of cool IEMs I got to listen to. Unfortunately I did not have the time to take notes but these were great in one way or another.

@Junmoe62's Simphonio P-Zero and Rosenkranz Silver HB Ruthenium, @Scuba Devils' Nostalgia Camelot, @drftr's Noble Sultan.

Beat Audio Lab Cyclone, right? Super interested in opinions of this cable. How does it compare to other Copper based Cables. From photos, they look absolutely gorgeous. How they sound, i don't know. If i remember correctly, someone from Europe got Beat Audio to loan some cables for a tour of sorts. This could have influenced this individual to take the dive maybe. For me, unfortunately its less of a dive and more of a plunge since it doesn't offer the versatility of Conx or Versa connectors. Opinions would help make a decision though.

Cheers,
Yaks

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #84,509 of 87,760
Beat Audio Lab Cyclone, right? Super interested in opinions of this cable. How does it compare to other Copper based Cables. From photos, they look absolutely gorgeous. How they sound, i don't know. If i remember correctly, someone from Europe got Beat Audio to loan some cables for a tour of sorts. This could have influenced this individual to take the dive maybe. For me, unfortunately its less of a dive and more of a plunge since it doesn't offer the versatility of Conx or Versa connectors. Opinions would help make a decision though.

Cheers,
Yaks
Best to ask the owner, @Junmoe62

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #84,510 of 87,760
Haah I guess why not! Please share the results of you little experiment with us later!
I have a "highly regarded" (according to the WM1ZM2 thread) Micron microSD that replaced a Sandisk Extreme Pro and didn't hear any difference.
I bought the Micron just because it was the only one available in 1.5 TB.
Swissbit is even more highly regarded than Micron in the Sony forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back