The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 24, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #84,451 of 88,445
1000012007.jpg
1000012006.jpg

For me too, a big thanks to everyone that made the meet a reality!
I learned so much!

For me the iem highlights where (all where reviewed on an ibasso dx260, storm and p0 on a ifi diablo 2 aswell):

Campfire audio Trifecta : I know it's a polarizing set, for me it hits exactly the right way.. Very natural, very very full/thick sounding, amazing bass. And wears very comfortable for me too.

Fir Audio Xenon 6: it's similar in style as the trifecta, so liked this one a lot too. I think that the trifecta has better mids, but as a whole this one has a very "fun" sound signature that pleased me a lot.

Subtonic Storm: Detail for days on end, what a set! This one does everything right, very speaker like. They are enormously power hungry though.

Simphonio P0: The best planar iem I have heard. Sounds almost dd-like in the bass and a very nice treble that's not too hot or fatiguing.

Rozenkrans RK Ruthenium : super fun set but definitely way too expensive for what is. Build quality is really amazing though!

Let's make this a yearly thing! I will definitely be present next time😃

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #84,452 of 88,445
@drftr's Noble Sultan
Which I think might be for sale at an absurd price.

No way, Nic made it to Amsterdam-Jam meet? Where is the picture of that son-of-a-gun?
Thought your pic was taken yesterday as Nic hasn't aged a week! Not even kidding here!

With regards to the next meet, I’ve mentioned that I could host in London so there’s one option out there already 😎
We could probably take the CanJam London space as it has lost the reason to live 😁

Top shelf work @drftr and @MatW!

dog-dapper.gif

Great to see the weekend worked out so well.
Missed you more than anything else this weekend, and so did the pub. We'll make up for it some day when I take the highly challenging overland route to Groningen.

drftr

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #84,453 of 88,445
What an incredible weekend away in a city I last visited more than 10 years ago. Many thanks to @drftr and to @MatW for making this happen but also to all of the other Watercoolers, who turned up and made this a special event.

Yes, there was enough gear present to rival CanJam, yes, there was also a fantastic venue and hospitality that would make any follow-up’s work in surpassing Amsterdam very difficult to pull off.

Above everything else for me was the opportunity to meet a good chunk of our lovely community in person and build some lasting connections with people.

On the gear side of things, Traillii Ti was one of the iems that impressed to no end. I listened to it side by side with the OG and heard it to be more engaging and downright fun.

I was also impressed by how Storm and the Sovereign Symphony sounded straight out of my N30LE- not sure if it is the cable but I finally thought that Storm sounded special (after many prior auditions);

The VE10 was also a pleasant surprise, especially to someone who is not the biggest fan of prior Vision Ears models.

There are many, many more worth mentioning, can’t wait for volume 2!

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #84,454 of 88,445
First and foremost I want to thank everyone for coming in droves to make our meetup such a fantastic event. I vaguely had an idea about how this could turn out after last year’s pre and post CanJam Singapore meetups with a dozen Cooler regulars, but having 24……… Anyway, in 2 weeks it’s Singapore yet again so if you guys have half the fun we had it’s going to be fantastic!

Then second but not any less important I have to apologize to the friends that I didn’t get to speak. Like, not at all… 😭 We’ve been so busy that Mathijn and I probably broke the record of how few IEMs you can demo over a whole weekend. And with none of them I managed to listen to more than just a handful of songs. Crazy, but at least I have added some new impressions to my musings. Before I share those notes 2 more shoutouts if I may: @Scuba Devils for his selfless support of this whole idea even before @MatW came onto the stage, and second (but way more important) to Mathijn’s wife who secured the very best location we could possibly get – ever – and even threw in some food, all just at the cost of our smiles and love for her efforts. Totally awesome to have support from outside of our little community 🥰

Sharing the notes on my quick impressions in my usual nitpicky house style now, so be warned. For new readers please note that if I don’t totally burn an IEM down to the ground it was actually quite good - just not my style. 😊 Also, I listened to all IEMs with the cables provided and off my Lotoo PAW6k.

IMPRESSIONS WATERCOOLER EUROPE MEETUP, AMSTERDAM:

DAY 1:

CANPUR CP622b
I was prepared to have my mind blown by these.
Fantastic balance, not convinced on note weight and impact down low which was more of a permanent bass shelf instead, mids sounded a bit closed in, muffled and diffuse (due to the BCD?), missing a bit of sparkle while “s” sounds and cymbals had a slightly artificial sound, lacking a bit of air, staging wasn’t very convincing, nor were dynamics.

CRAFT EARS AURUM
Good bass definition, lacking a bit of upper bass and lower mids, could use more body in mids, slightly nasal and shouty upper mids, cymbals sounded a bit unnatural, good staging and instrument separation, very dynamic set.

ALAMBIC EARS MENTAWAIHigh hopes after the praise of les français.
Too thick bass with less than optimal resolution for me, too much upper bass, needs more note weight and body in the mids, upper mids on the brighter side, slightly unnatural treble that is a bit too splashy and “s” and “t” sounds being too pronounced. Probably the most musical set I heard this weekend!

CANPUR CP54eI knew this one was going to play second fiddle to its big brother.
Except that it didn’t! Too thick bass for me with a rather pillowy attack that could use more definition, the rest sounded just great and very open, even though it could use a bit more air (but much better on this than CP622b), could use slightly fuller mids, not completely convinced by “s” and “t” sounds, misses a bit of resolution but I still prefer it over CP622b. Quite a surprise.

CAMPFIRE AUDIO BONNEVILLEI can’t get CA to work for me; unfortunately Cascara wasn’t around.
The 3 B’s: Boomy, Boxy & Bright – sorry… Good mids which was a surprise and it made me wonder how these would sound if they reduced the (for me) excess bass and treble.

NIGHTJAR SINGULARITYDemoed this one at CJ SG without a positive result so I gave it (or rather myself) a second chance.
Didn’t work… Bass is too overpowering, slow, and boomy for me, vocals are closed in, rather low resolution in mids and treble, little air. Anyway, I tried.

RHAPSODIO SUPREME V3
Great bass, great mids, resolving, fantastic as a whole weren’t it for its too splashy treble (mostly hi hats and flute) and its terrible weight that I wouldn’t be able to bear as I dislike a deep fit.

DAY 2:

VISION EARS VE10
Which together with CP622b was another almost blind buy.
Too much focus on the low end while bass needs better resolution (both due to the stock cable I found out – bad pairing really), needs more sparkle as it sounded too closed in though very pleasant, needs more bite, attack, and openness, overall a lovely balance and I wonder what a Chiron / DX320 would bring.
Courtesy of @Vision Ears who helped us out with sending in VE10 days before the event - very much appreciated!!!

NOSTALGIA CAMELOT
Had some problems with driver flex, great balance, missing a bit of sub bass, vocals sounded a bit closed in, polite treble, sounding very musical, a little tizz in the treble, and could use a bit more air. Very good value for money.

ROSENKRANZ SILVER HB RUTHENIUMI really hoped this one wouldn’t work for me at $8k!
And luckily it didn’t as the focus on the lower end of the spectrum was too overpowering for me, slightly forward upper mids but not entirely natural sounding, polite treble. Curious at how it would have sounded with just 2/3rd of the bass.

64AUDIO VOLÜRSince I have demoed most 64Audio IEMs I thought “Why not?”
Followed by a “This is it!” within the first 5 seconds of listening. This is the exact tonal balance I have been looking for for years, even if it comes at the cost of not being the most resolving IEM. I really need to give this one more time with a great cable like 1950s Shielding to see if I can make it more bodied; perhaps throwing in a NuTube DAP to top it off. Not exactly pinpoint positioning so I need to give that a thought. Biggest surprise of the weekend and at a fraction of the cost of some of the other IEMs I tried. Probably the best combination of my previously owned U18t and my Sultan. Tempted!

SONY IER-Z1RHaving a love/hate relationship with cheaper Sony IEMs expectations were close to zero.
So it was only fair that those were crushed… Very good bass with the best snare picking details ever, even though the amount of bass permanently attracts too much of my attention, upper mids were slightly lean and nasal and treble a bit unnatural, great staging, very dynamic, terrible fit, and unfortunately witch doctor @Tokpakorlo literally had to pick the left eartip out of my ear with a tooth pick.

ORIOLUS TRAILLII TiOG had too little bass for me and I disliked the upper mids dip that took away some urgence.
Very short demo as Ti doesn’t have enough bass for me to cover all genres I listen to. The upper mids dip was instead of is so that’s a good thing in my book.

Getting itchy – Let’s see what I have on my agenda 2 weeks from now…

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #84,455 of 88,445
By popular request, the headfi names to the faces:

And all of a sudden, the event is over and all is quiet...

It was such a great opportunity to meet all these nice people. Truly heartwarming to see people sharing their passion and getting along that well, almost all of them meeting for the first time in real life. Also on behalf of @drftr, thanks to all of you for taking the time and effort of coming over to Amsterdam and making this event a success!
So funny when people you've never seen don't look like anything you had pictured in your head! 😅 (Apart from @davidmolliere 😁)

For any IEM review, can you guys state source as well? It makes a big difference!

Edit: Hope you all had a great time, looks like you did. I need to get out of the anti travel mindset and get my ass along to some of these meets!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #84,456 of 88,445
❤️AMSTERDAM❤️

IMG_0452.jpeg

Many thanks to @MatW and @drftr for a top-notch organization for the meet in Amsterdam. It was absolute bliss.

Putting faces on names was a thrilling experience by itself. So many interesting people to talk with, not only about audio and music, but also about life in general. Smart and lovely people💜.

I personally tried many IEMs and compared the Cayin N30LE as a source vs. my Hiby R8 II / Romi BX2-Pro combo.

My favorite 3 sets were the Traillii Ti, Rhapsodio V3 and Simphonio P-Zero. The Subtonic Storm and the Austrian Audio Composer also stood out.

IMG_0461.jpeg

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0472.jpeg

See you soon again guys! Be well and enjoy your music 🎵

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #84,457 of 88,445
Missed you more than anything else this weekend, and so did the pub. We'll make up for it some day when I take the highly challenging overland route to Groningen.

drftr
So sorry I missed it my friend! But, I am very happy to see that things worked out so great for you all. You did an amazing job!

You are always welcome if you ever dare to take on the dangerous trek up north. 😉 Funny thing, Nic was here a couple of years ago visiting a holiday cottage in the woods where his Lordship Barnie goes for his walkies every day. And yet, to this day, I have not met Nic in person. 😅 We always seem to miss each other. (Missed meeting up with him at Canjam London as well.)

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #84,458 of 88,445
I didn’t take notes but here are a few pictures of what I really loved over the last couple of days. There were some I just didn’t get around to unfortunately.

Well actually, very short impressions of Traillii Ti & Orpheus (thank you @Tokpakorlo!)

😱🤯😍🔥

Another point to note was taking into consideration where within seconds my heart started racing, absolutely the case with Trailli Ti, Trailli (a revisit after almost two years), Anni 2023 and Meze Elite… they all had that utterly incredible ability to hit the emotions fast and hard, almost to tears at times! This will definitely be a key future measure: how quickly does a set captivate me emotionally? - and indeed the opposite when they do not.

I know I posted these first few already, but just to wrap up. I do wish I took notes now but honestly the conversations were as enjoyable as listening and only so many hours at our disposal. I’ll share a bit more however on Traillii Ti later as I’ve some standout points to cover.

IMG_2327.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2331.jpeg

@MatW an absolute gentleman for brining along some headphones to try (not the busiest listening station given the general leaning towards IEMs), Elite really is special and works incredibly well with the selection of genres I tested - and of course unbelievably comfortable and beautifully built.

IMG_2358.jpeg

HE1000 was very nice too but didn’t quite captivate me in the same way as Elite, LPGT Ti drove both with plenty of headroom but I’ve no doubt more desktop power would make a difference.

IMG_2362.jpeg

The Austrian Audio ‘Composer’ was another wonderful surprise, incredible build, design and comfort… oozes top quality. Another serious contender for my next move… in a few months though, on a buying break 😬 - an interesting time to test after so many toys the last two days! Thank you @lafeuill for the opportunity to try them, and @F700 for insisting I did!

IMG_2351.jpeg

I’m no doubt forgetting some but what I’ve covered were definitely the highlights.

Thanks again to all for the great weekend and look forward to the next one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 24, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #84,459 of 88,445
For tracks such as ones below, does anyone have exp with the Annihilator 23 and Radon 6, Im trying to find an item on that price range, I have been waiting for the Elysian new flagship, the one with in-house drivers, but I am not sure if that is going to be in the same price range as the Anni or something more like the X, plus I am not sure on when its launching.

Laurel - Life Worth Living (Acoustic)
Fleetwood Mac - The Chain
Chopin - Nocturne op.9 No.2

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #84,461 of 88,445
Hmm...tweezers...you amateurs :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

IER Z1R fit issues...hm, I don't have these problems... :)

Cheers! :wink:
You are right! A real pro uses the 3.5/4.4mm connector at the end of the cable to pull the stuck tip out of their ear.

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #84,463 of 88,445

Users who are viewing this thread

Back