The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #84,031 of 87,783
Well I was there and Sennheiser Consumer still only has about 100 people working for them. Just because they are owned by a larger company, doesn't mean that their actual day to day business works on the same scale.
There is also still Sennheiser Pro Audio, which released the 490 Pro recently, they are still a family business.

Speaking of mega corporations, I really really REALLY despise music streaming services and the music industry and this video helped to cement my stance on that:

So to strengthen my own insignificant role in the anti-streaming movement, here is our new EP on Bandcamp, owned by Epic Games, but operating on their own :wink:, to download (up to 48khz 24bit) for free, before the actual release:

Please share it around if you like it. And still, if you don't, maybe someone else will. Thanks.

Epic Games sold Bandcamp to Songtradr last year, relatively short lived ownership by Epic… this seems a better fit, I found the Epic purchase a strange move for both at the time!

https://www.songtradr.com/blog/posts/songtradr-bandcamp-acquisition

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #84,032 of 87,783
Mar 18, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #84,034 of 87,783
It was more to highlight that not many brands are without their miss-steps when it comes to IEM launches and I commend the way that EE handled the issue. It was more in reference to the issues which led to the subsequent release of the Khan “gen 2” (for those who have been around this forum a little longer…)

So are you implying the Ghengis Khan has a history of exploding when connected to a smartphone?

There was never an official Khan gen 2. There was a second build design that was called gen 2 by consumers because of that reason. The design change was the implementation of a recessed socket.

The Kublai Khan is more appropriately referred to as the Gen 2, but it differs internally and externally.

Last edited:
Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #84,035 of 87,783
IMG_1245.jpeg
A couple new players joined my roster this week. I had never heard Amber Pearl or Jewel before after reading so many impressions and POV of these, and the time has come. I've only gotten a few hours with each so far, and much more to come. But a few quick takes:

AP is probably the best, most complete package of an IEM that I have ever heard. Major wow factor, not surprisingly given the raptures expressed about this set. And thanks to AP I've now heard top-shelf mids and have a standard to measure against. Its bass is warm, thick, and terrific - regardless of it being a BA/BCS package. It doesn't feature the definition and slam of a great DD set but I don't find myself missing that. Treble is crisp, detailed, not forward, not sibilant. No upper mids problems either. Staging isn't quite what Mentor is (from memory, having sold mine last fall) but that and AP's overall technical presentation, all very compelling. Most importantly, what a lovely immersive listening experience.

IMG_1240.jpeg

Jewel surprises me in a few ways. To me it is not quite the reference set that so many have described it as. I think of reference as being most notably neutral and balanced. However, Jewel in my experience (briefly so far) has a forward gust of upper mids / lower treble energy, close to too much for me. I was expecting maybe too-mellow treble, but in fact it is very detailed, kind of gravelly, with decent extension. And overall has more perk and is brighter than I thought it would be. Bass is also more than I was expecting.

One thing is clear: Jewel and Erebus are extremely similar, with very close sound profiles and comparable strengths and flaws. Maybe not surprising given they are probably cousins from the same manufacturing plant, as others have commented. This resemblance is partly what motivated my acquisition of Jewel, so I could A/B these sets. Some thoughts after a few hours of listening to a mix of live and studio jazz vocal and acoustic rock, with both driven by N30, using medium gain, class A/B, classic tube, P, no Hyper mode:

Jewel (with 1950s Shielding cable):
Slightly less detailed
More energetic nonetheless
Brighter
Treble more detailed, snappier transients, more extended
Forward, at times too energetic upper mids
Mids and vocals more forward
Less bass quantity and quality
More intimate stage, more sense of facing the stage instead of being surrounded by musicians

Erebus (with doctorjuggles copper cable):
Slightly more detailed
More relaxed in spite of that
Warmer
Smoother treble, and more rolled off
Similar forward, at times too energetic upper mids
Mids and vocals more receded
More bass quantity and quality
Bigger stage, more holographic, more immersive

I probably won't keep both given their overlap. But for now it is fun having variations on the same themes to go back and forth with.

IMG_1242.jpeg
With Jewel, use N30 with high gain and P, or medium gain and P+. Jewel needs energy to show all her extraordinary potential

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #84,036 of 87,783
Hi long time watercooler lurker.

I am a headphone guy that is finding that I can't wear most hi-end headphones for very long because they cause neckpain and even tingling in my left arm. My limit seems to be 400 grams.

But lately I have been getting my toes wet in the iem world and I would appreciate some advice about TOTL iems. I have the U12t and don't really like it that much, the treble is too shy for me, I don't hear very well past 12khz. The ie 600 is great for what it is, but I find the treble while spicy isn't airy enough. I really like the TMSR X. The mids could be a little more forward, and overall more resolving (but for the price it is fab) and I love the sub bass and airy treble.

Headphones I love are the Composer, the HD800S, Susvara, HE1, and I am weirdly fond of the SR007. Are there iems with the openess of headphones and delicate treble response and resolution of the Sus or HD800? I know they can do bass... I am willing to spend.

Thanks for any and all pointers 😁😁😁

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #84,037 of 87,783

I am a headphone guy that is finding that I can't wear most hi-end headphones for very long because they cause neckpain and even tingling in my left arm. My limit seems to be 400 grams.

But lately I have been getting my toes wet in the iem world and I would appreciate some advice about TOTL iems. I have the U12t and don't really like it that much, the treble is too shy for me, I don't hear very well past 12khz. The ie 600 is great for what it is, but I find the treble while spicy isn't airy enough. I really like the TMSR X. The mids could be a little more forward, and overall more resolving (but for the price it is fab) and I love the sub bass and airy treble.

Headphones I love are the Composer, the HD800S, Susvara, HE1, and I am weirdly fond of the SR007. Are there iems with the openess of headphones and delicate treble response and resolution of the Sus or HD800? I know they can do bass... I am willing to spend.

If you're willing to spend the $, I'm not sure anything tops the treble of the Annihilator. It's the best I've ever heard and I've tried many TOTL.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #84,038 of 87,783

I would recommend the Elysian annihilator based on what you’re looking for

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #84,039 of 87,783

Try out the Shure KSE-1200/1500. :)

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #84,040 of 87,783
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #84,042 of 87,783

From your description not sure if you are leaning neutral with references to HD800 and Susvara, I do not hear either of those as bright, detailed they both have that. HD800 delivering an amazing stage, and Susvara the best I have heard for that comprehensive neutral.

The Annihilator is the obvious choice for other parts of your desire. Though I wonder if the rest of the profile may not meet your needs. Annihilator is a great set I have auditioned now multiple times and like it. The new prototype from Elysian “Pilgrim”, if they keep the tuning the same for the production version, could be the one, the treble has detail and is a little less prominent to me than what I hear with the Annihilator.

Good luck with the IEM journey.
Replicating what a headphone does for you is not going to be all that easy, though if headphones are causing pain how can you possibly enjoy music which is everything in my view.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #84,043 of 87,783

You can always try the U12t with a different source, for instance the Cayin N7 or the AK SP2000 (Cu in my case)..

In my own experience, both sources will bring out the U12t's inherent treble potential.. the treble on N7+U12t is super extended but was too much for me.. the SP2kCu+U12t is the sweet spot, giving the soundstage a much needed air and opening it up as a whole.. IMHO one of the best synergies that I have experienced.. you can tweak the treble further with copper vs silver cables.. I stuck with copper, silver was a bit too flat/dry for me..

Give it a go, so you can experience it yourself how system synergy can often do wonders.. even more so than buying a new set of iems but without enough attention to synergy

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #84,044 of 87,783
You can always try the U12t with a different source, for instance the Cayin N7 or the AK SP2000 (Cu in my case)..

In my own experience, both sources will bring out the U12t's inherent treble potential.. the treble on N7+U12t is super extended but was too much for me.. the SP2kCu+U12t is the sweet spot, giving the soundstage a much needed air and opening it up as a whole.. IMHO one of the best synergies that I have experienced.. you can tweak the treble further with copper vs silver cables.. I stuck with copper, silver was a bit too flat/dry for me..

Give it a go, so you can experience yourself how system synergy can often do wonders, more so than buying a new set of iems without enough attention to synergy

If you're venturing into the TOTL gear then I suggest you start looking at all aspects of the chain to upgrade. First consider the source, then look at different cables, next you can head down the rabbit hole and look at how different SD cards sound or how changing the IEM tips can affect the sound as well.

Good luck on your journey

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #84,045 of 87,783
If you're venturing into the TOTL gear then I suggest you start looking at all aspects of the chain to upgrade. First consider the source, then look at different cables, next you can head down the rabbit hole and look at how different SD cards sound or how changing the IEM tips can affect the sound as well.

Good luck on your journey
Indeed! In my experience, even a change of eartips could make a huge difference to an audio system/chain..

For sure the effect of eartips would be quite small.. but that small boost or dip on a particular frequency could be the thing that makes or breaks it for a particular audiophile, since everyone has a very unique audio preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back