The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 13, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #83,611 of 88,277
I am not saying you sold me a defective unit. Who knows what could have happened to it during the shipment. Anyways will get in touch with Musicteck, thanks
Sounds like a socket issue. I had an issue where my right IEM got louder if I touched it around the 2 pin and it happened with all cables. Once the socket was changed, the issue was resolved

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #83,612 of 88,277
Honestly? Without making a big public drama about it, I'll keep it brief. Two reasons: one, as nice as people were, I got a very firm impression there's a tightly knit club and the intention's to keep it that way. Nobody owes me anything, but yeah, it lowkey sucked being the odd man out. I've had enough going on elsewhere that I need uplifting experiences, not ones that bring back the feeling of being the kid sitting alone in the school cafeteria.

And two? Without naming names--and I'm not going to name names in public--one of the big regular watercooler member names here at these events (plural), whom I'd previously had a lot of respect for, thought the idea of an icebreaker when meeting me for the second time ever was cracking a joke about my dead cat to make small talk. And then repeating it a second time when I looked at him dumbfounded. And gosh, I've tried to let that go. I've sat on it. I've ruminated on it. I've tried to justify it six ways to Sunday as being some elaborate misunderstanding. But yeah, no matter which way I cut it, I can't process it. It just...yeah, it hurt. I spent the last year vomiting blood in the ER, changing jobs twice, moving states, having my dad collapse on me, and burying two animals, and I guess it's kind of a small thing on the grander scale all things considered but my big takeaway is: I really, really loved those stupid frigging cats. There were two. And I've said a lot, but that's sort of where my headspace is at.

Hey, we haven’t interacted, but I know what you’re talking about. I have to take “mental breaks” from HeadFi every couple of years or so. Like you, I’ve had health issues, the “keeping up with Jones’s,” the fickle, new greatest, and the attitude that some take that they are the “cool kids,” and they resent the intrusion of a non-member. One thing I can say, after being on HeadFi for a long time is that for every two of these people you encounter, eight genuinely nice people earnestly want to share a hobby they love with like-minded people.

My unsolicited advice is to take that mental break, continue to communicate with those folks you know you are friends with and come back when it feels right to you. Yeah, that may be never, but it’s almost true, about time healing all wounds (there are some that are un-healable, but we adapt). The other thing, if there’s a particular thread that is causing you stress, kick it to the curb; there are an over abundance of interesting ones to be found.

Anyway, be well, I’m very sorry to read about your health issues, Dad’s problems and your cat. I have dogs that have been gone for decades that I still get misty eyed when I think about them. Take care of yourself and be well.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #83,613 of 88,277
Or just don't take this hobby so seriously. Some people take things said online or even face to face way too personally. If you're one of those people, definitely take a break.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #83,614 of 88,277
Or just don't take this hobby so seriously. Some people take things said online or even face to face way too personally. If you're one of those people, definitely take a break.

On the contrary, some people do and say things online that they would never do in person, plus, at least in America, there is a general “coarsening” of society.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #83,615 of 88,277
Dang, I never heard this. Deftones fans might be interested. Someone mixed Chino's vocals from a Crosses track with remixed instrumentation(swapping the electronic bits with crunchy guitar bits, which the uploader apparently played themselves), and it is pretty, pretty, pretty, pretttttay, pretty good. :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #83,616 of 88,277
On the contrary, some people do and say things online that they would never do in person, plus, at least in America, there is a general “coarsening” of society.
That's a given. People say vile and dumb things online they would never say face to face. That's not my point though.

Don't take things so seriously. This hobby is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. If you're stressing out or taking personal offense to what people on this forum are saying, then you should take a break and rethink why you're participating here in the first place.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #83,617 of 88,277
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #83,618 of 88,277
This wasn’t the case when I sold it to you buddy. No hissing whatsoever.

You did also tell me that it was fine with stock when you tried it. Then you lent it to your brother and now it hisses?

I have listened to it without any hissing issues. As have @BonGoBiLai, another HeadFier. Same unit.

Anyway, if it is still hissing for you, please get in touch with @MusicTeck.
Zero hiss for me with the WM1ZM2. Aura is very sensitive and easy to drive. I'd suggest trying an uber-quiet source like the zm2 with it.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #83,619 of 88,277
HI fellas, if you guys were to summarize the impression of current TOTL/exceptional iems into one sentence each relative to each other, what would you say about these (and everything else not listed)?

Aroma Jewel:
Aroma Fei Wan:
FIR Radon6:
FIR Xenon6:
64Audio Volur:
Campfire Bonneville:
Campfire Trifecta:
The various Canpur models (could not remember their names..)
Subtonic STORM:
Nightjar Singularity:
Nightjar Duality:
[XXX brand] Crimson:
Noble Viking Ragnar:
Empire Ears Raven:
VE Phonix LE:
VE EXT:
VE VE-X:
Elysian Annihilator 2023 (or their newer TOTLs if any):
Sony Z1R:
Oriolus Traillii:
UM Amber Pearl:
UM Mentor Multiverse:
UM other TOTL models (so many, I could not remember them all..)
And so on, etc..

Cheers and thanks so much!

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #83,620 of 88,277
HI fellas, if you guys were to summarize the impression of current TOTL/exceptional iems into one sentence each relative to each other, what would you say about these (and everything else not listed)?

Cheers and thanks so much!

Aroma Jewel: Expansive, airy, wispy, floaty, albeit a bit lethargic - sleepy, unexcited - at times.
Aroma Fei Wan: Crisp, open, dynamic and textbook-TOTL, held together by a strong, substantial midrange.
FIR Radon6: Plain Jane with appropriately-placed doses of punch, but may suffer from mismatched textures or awkward humps in tone with the wrong pairing.
FIR Xenon6: An admirable distillation of a big, live venue's weighty, slam-y, arena-filling PA system.
64Audio Volur: Crisp and earthy, reminiscent of decently-sized near-fields with a solid, discrete woofer.
Campfire Bonneville: A thump-y play on neutrality with a colored, 2kHz-emphasized midrange compensating for said extra bass energy.
Campfire Trifecta: Grand, expansive and steeped in mushy, vintage, analog warmth with somewhat-disparate pokes of treble peeking through.
Canpur 54E: An in-ear tiramisu; as silky, smooth and refined as it is caffeinated-ly peppy (or energetic, or zingy).
Canpur 622B: Reference-adjacent (ranging from U12t-like to lightly, organically wet, depending on the chain) with class-leading BA lows and mids that genuinely move.
Subtonic STORM: A near-perfectly calibrated scalpel that only veers off to slight dryness in the treble; a leading tool in analyzing music, albeit perhaps not for making it.
Nightjar Singularity: A steady-eddy EDC with a downward-trending FR curve, satisfying DD lows and technique that can scale beyond what's expected of a single-DD.
Noble Viking Ragnar: An energizer bunny that almost force-feeds you detail with a clean, polished, metallic spoon.
Empire Ears Raven: Animals As Leaders in IEM form; punchy and exhilarating, but in a tight, controlled, almost-robotically-precise way.
VE Phonix LE: Clean and blasé; a blank slate; almost as if you're listening to music in black-and-white.
VE EXT: Earthy, muscly, sinewy, gravelly notes topped off with spritz and etch up top, placed in a rowdy, involving venue.
VE VE X: The personification of clear analog; full, meaty and warm, yet precisely etched, tactilely textured, effortlessly agile and addictively soulful.
Elysian Anni '23: The once-popular U18t, Andro, Jomo, AAW sorta sound, perfected; just the right amount of everything for a pleasing, clear and open-yet-meaty sound.
Sony Z1R: Like an important board meeting in a high-rise; huge, open space with prim, tidy, business-suit-wearing instruments; everyone sat far apart, only peripherally linked by their echoes.
Oriolus Traillii: Near-perfectly tuned for involved, emotive, yet technical listening, only slightly hampered by the familiar timbre of its off-the-shelf drivers.
UM Amber Pearl: An IEM directed by David Lynch; stylized, saturated and colorful with un-reference, cross-feed-y imaging and every instrument pushed to their expressive extremes, but belying outstanding technique underneath.

I don't feel like listing any more after writing all that. :D

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #83,621 of 88,277
Aroma Jewel: Expansive, airy, wispy, floaty, albeit a bit lethargic - sleepy, unexcited - at times.
Aroma Fei Wan: Crisp, open, dynamic and textbook-TOTL, held together by a strong, substantial midrange.
FIR Radon6: Plain Jane with appropriately-placed doses of punch, but may suffer from mismatched textures or awkward humps in tone with the wrong pairing.
FIR Xenon6: An admirable distillation of a big, live venue's weighty, slam-y, arena-filling PA system.
64Audio Volur: Crisp and earthy, reminiscent of decently-sized near-fields with a solid, discrete woofer.
Campfire Bonneville: A thump-y play on neutrality with a colored, 2kHz-emphasized midrange compensating for said extra bass energy.
Campfire Trifecta: Grand, expansive and steeped in mushy, vintage, analog warmth with somewhat-disparate pokes of treble peeking through.
Canpur 54E: An in-ear tiramisu; as silky, smooth and refined as it is caffeinated-ly peppy (or energetic, or zingy).
Canpur 622B: Reference-adjacent (ranging from U12t-like to lightly, organically wet, depending on the chain) with class-leading BA lows and mids that genuinely move.
Subtonic STORM: A near-perfectly calibrated scalpel that only veers off to slight dryness in the treble; a leading tool in analyzing music, albeit perhaps not for making it.
Nightjar Singularity: A steady-eddy EDC with a downward-trending FR curve, satisfying DD lows and technique that can scale beyond what's expected of a single-DD.
Noble Viking Ragnar: An energizer bunny that almost force-feeds you detail with a clean, polished, metallic spoon.
Empire Ears Raven: Animals As Leaders in IEM form; punchy and exhilarating, but in a tight, controlled, almost-robotically-precise way.
VE Phonix LE: Clean and blasé; a blank slate; almost as if you're listening to music in black-and-white.
VE EXT: Earthy, muscly, sinewy, gravelly notes topped off with spritz and etch up top, placed in a rowdy, involving venue.
VE VE X: The personification of clear analog; full, meaty and warm, yet precisely etched, tactilely textured, effortlessly agile and addictively soulful.
Elysian Anni '23: The once-popular U18t, Andro, Jomo, AAW sorta sound, perfected; just the right amount of everything for a pleasing, clear and open-yet-meaty sound.
Sony Z1R: Like an important board meeting in a high-rise; huge, open space with prim, tidy, business-suit-wearing instruments; everyone sat far apart, only peripherally linked by their echoes.
Oriolus Traillii: Near-perfectly tuned for involved, emotive, yet technical listening, only slightly hampered by the familiar timbre of its off-the-shelf drivers.
UM Amber Pearl: An IEM directed by David Lynch; stylized, saturated and colorful with un-reference, cross-feed-y imaging and every instrument pushed to their expressive extremes, but belying outstanding technique underneath.

Kudos! Epic!

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #83,622 of 88,277

Damn… that deserves a round of applause 👏🏼 . Agree with everything said (for the ones that I’ve actually heard anyway).

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #83,623 of 88,277

applause.gif

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #83,624 of 88,277

Great stuff - these kind of reviews are way better than reading 5 pages of poetic details and comparisons for each one of iem, basically reminded me of the "5 seconds trailers" collection:

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #83,625 of 88,277

200w.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back