The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #83,596 of 88,623
Both, the song and the show, are among the best in the last years imo.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find the song in any streaming service. Can you buy it somewhere?

No I can’t find it anywhere, not even on Discogs as a listing! I did read on Reddit that it was recorded specifically for the show. I’m looking forward to a binge of the series at the weekend!

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #83,597 of 88,623
Every time someone mentions Pilgrim, I think of this:

I don't think its all that surprising, given each IEM company that wants to implement something like APEX or ATOM has their own cost/design constraints to work with for the IEMs they want to make.

I'd only be speculating, but there has to be a good reason why FiR's ATOM modules are smaller than the 64 Audio APEX ones they could have just copied or licensed, especially when you consider that FiR makes ATOM modules that fit 64 Audio IEMs. I don't think anyone really enjoys futzing around with the minuscule ATOM XS modules on the FiR universals; that's got to be a trade-off for something else that FiR decided was worth it for their universals. I was always going to get a custom Xe6 anyway, but not making this trade-off was just a bonus.
Simply for the fact if the similar, yet different, approach to the same tech is another revenue stream for cross over and accessories purchases. Not too different than a company making a proprietary cable connection in 2024, it's a little head scratching in the consumer space.

But yes, changing XS modules I learned my lesson after searching hands and knees late one night.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #83,598 of 88,623
Come to think of it, Thummim is kind of like a tighter, more polite XE6? Have not heard the Thummin in 2 years though.

I miss the Thummim as well, never had problems with the fit.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #83,599 of 88,623
Simply for the fact if the similar, yet different, approach to the same tech is another revenue stream for cross over and accessories purchases. Not too different than a company making a proprietary cable connection in 2024, it's a little head scratching in the consumer space.

But yes, changing XS modules I learned my lesson after searching hands and knees late one night.
Oh sure, I always rail against the "golden screwdriver" approach that tech vendors use to leverage proprietary gear to protect & increase their revenue.

But in this case, none of the vendors we talk about here are remotely close to the "consumer space", except Sony & Sennheiser, so in this very niche hobby it's kind of expected.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #83,600 of 88,623
Howcome? Sad to see you go.
Honestly? Without making a big public drama about it, I'll keep it brief. Two reasons: one, as nice as people were, I got a very firm impression there's a tightly knit club and the intention's to keep it that way. Nobody owes me anything, but yeah, it lowkey sucked being the odd man out. I've had enough going on elsewhere that I need uplifting experiences, not ones that bring back the feeling of being the kid sitting alone in the school cafeteria.

And two? Without naming names--and I'm not going to name names in public--one of the big regular watercooler member names here at these events (plural), who I'd previously had a lot of respect for, thought the idea of an icebreaker when meeting me for the second time ever was cracking a joke about my dead cat to make small talk. And then repeating it a second time when I looked at him dumbfounded. And gosh, I've tried to let that go. I've sat on it. I've ruminated on it. I've tried to justify it six ways to Sunday as being some elaborate misunderstanding. But yeah, no matter which way I cut it, I can't process it. It just...yeah, it really hurt. I spent the last year vomiting blood in the ER, changing jobs twice, moving states, having my dad collapse on me, and burying two animals, and I guess it's kind of a small thing in the grander scale all things considered but my big takeaway is: I really, really loved those stupid frigging cats. There were two. And I've said a lot, but that's sort of where my headspace is at.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #83,601 of 88,623
Yes, every cable. Even with the stock one. The hissing can be easily heard when listening at a low volume level. Sometimes it gets so bad that I can hear it while switching to higher volume level.
This wasn’t the case when I sold it to you buddy. No hissing whatsoever.

You did also tell me that it was fine with stock when you tried it. Then you lent it to your brother and now it hisses?

I have listened to it without any hissing issues. As have @BonGoBiLai, another HeadFier. Same unit.

Anyway, if it is still hissing for you, please get in touch with @MusicTeck.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #83,602 of 88,623
Honestly? Without making a big public drama about it, I'll keep it brief. Two reasons: one, as nice as people were, I got a very firm impression there's a tightly knit club and the intention's to keep it that way. Nobody owes me anything, but yeah, it lowkey sucked being the odd man out. I've had enough going on elsewhere that I need uplifting experiences, not ones that bring back the feeling of being the kid sitting alone in the school cafeteria.

And two? Without naming names--and I'm not going to name names in public--one of the big regular watercooler member names here at these events (plural), who I'd previously had a lot of respect for, thought the idea of an icebreaker when meeting me for the second time ever was cracking a joke about my dead cat to make small talk. And then repeating it a second time when I looked at him dumbfounded. And gosh, I've tried to let that go. I've sat on it. I've ruminated on it. I've tried to justify it six ways to Sunday as being some elaborate misunderstanding. But yeah, no matter which way I cut it, I can't process it. It just...yeah, it really hurt. I spent the last year vomiting blood in the ER, changing jobs twice, moving states, having my dad collapse on me, and burying two animals, and I guess it's kind of a small thing in the grander scale all things considered but my big takeaway is: I really, really loved those stupid frigging cats. There were two. And I've said a lot, but that's sort of where my headspace is at.
Sorry for that loss honestly, I have lost 7 cats in my life, and every one of them hurt. Not to belittle the health of your father or your own health issue. We are not all the same person, there are really kind people here. At any rate just wanted to say that after a year like that I can understand why you are reacting this way. If I can help or you need someone to talk to please PM me I will listen.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #83,603 of 88,623

You did also tell me that it was fine with stock when you tried it. Then you lent it to your brother and now it hisses?

I have listened to it without any hissing issues. As have @BonGoBiLai, another HeadFier. Same unit.

info@musicteck.com

Purchased on Sunday, Dec 24, 2023.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #83,604 of 88,623
It took what I love about the annihilator and added more to it the treble is just gorgeous with those tips just made everything sound even more alive.. they are difficult to get When I bought my annihilator, the seller was kind enough to add a pair
Y'all inspired me to change out the Baroques and add the Coriers back... really nice, just have to be okay with them sticking out a bit more.

They are pricey, probably best to wait for a sale.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/pentaconn-coreir

I am sorry you had a bad experience, i can def somewhat relate going thru a really awful period of my life the last few years, but audio has been a safe haven and it should be that way. Would hate to see you step away, from what little i have seen you are a welcome presence here. if you ever need an ear, my messages are open.

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #83,605 of 88,623
Oh sure, I always rail against the "golden screwdriver" approach that tech vendors use to leverage proprietary gear to protect & increase their revenue.

But in this case, none of the vendors we talk about here are remotely close to the "consumer space", except Sony & Sennheiser, so in this very niche hobby it's kind of expected.
I mean sure all these companies have a healthy pro market both in the West, in K-pop, and in the booth but WE are "consumers" I don't mean to say the same audience shopping best buy / walmart for aftershockz and apple buds pro. If it weren't for "us" a lot of these vendors stables would be significantly trimmed back and the FR's and prices would be significantly different. I'd even go so far as to say a lot of these companies wouldn't exist without the market we participate in and drive forward (obviously not JUST head-fi there's offline audiophiles and many different communities).

Hell, even FORBES is writing articles about dongles/DAC's/IEM's even if their contributing writers are either wayyyy behind the curve or making their content more "palatable" to "normies" (would be hilarious if Forbes was off the rip doing a review on the Storm/Raven/Trifecta/Maison paired with an N8ii/N30LE/AK3000). Just two years ago there were puff pieces on "wired headphones are making a comeback" 🤣🤣🤣

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #83,606 of 88,623

sounds like somebody turned up the volume too loud ☠️☠️☠️

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #83,607 of 88,623
Honestly? Without making a big public drama about it, I'll keep it brief.
It's not a big deal. If you don't voice a concern it will never be heard, and no one would know how to help...
And while I don't have pets at the moment, they are a hue stress relief when things feel like they are falling apart.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #83,609 of 88,623
Sorry for that loss honestly, I have lost 7 cats in my life, and every one of them hurt. Not to belittle the health of your father or your own health issue. We are not all the same person, there are really kind people here. At any rate just wanted to say that after a year like that I can understand why you are reacting this way. If I can help or you need someone to talk to please PM me I will listen.
You’re a really good guy. Huge highlight of my weekend was sitting at the MT booth and chatting with you.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #83,610 of 88,623
Day 2 about to begin! It's going to be another full day.

A real highlight of these events for me is meeting thread regulars in person and attaching names to faces. Yesterday it was really nice to connect with and meet a few of you including, @tjzurlaaa @vaporsynthwave @Visceral @SweetCans928 (briefly) @Smirk 24 @trbo996 and a few others. So if you see me awkwardly running around the floor today please come say hi :)

I wasn't entirely sure which Watercooler member I said hi to at first! I was going to find out by asking on here who could do the best Darth Vader impression lol. You would win for sure. It was good to meet you.

I also realized after the fact that I had briefly spoken with Twister6! Probably for the best I didn't immediately recognize him, saved him from having to hear the same kind of nerdy fanboyism I subjected Bogdan to. It's funny because I walked away thinking "I KNOW I recognize that guy's ears and the side of his head from somewhere..." :sweat_smile:

Huge shoutout @drftr for inviting me to your guys' upcoming AmsterJAM! (even though I am American) It definitely looks like you guys have an amazing, lowkey setup. I wish I could make it but my girlfriend is our town's only animal cop so it isn't easy to arrange for time off so quickly, and she is dead-set on going to Japan anyway(I don't blame her - I enjoyed my time there). Can't wait to see your guys' posts though, and the gesture is super appreciated. I will pay it forward.

Gonna look forward to trying my hand at smaller meets this year, and hopefully work my way back up. I went to a chess meet recently and was fine, but only like 10 people total showed up lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back