The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #82,006 of 88,277
Thinking of upgrading to the Volur from the U12t, while looking for some extra warmth, bass impact, and musicality at the same time..
Hmm...I thought that I would get that bass impact with Nio...I wanted that kind of impact as Fostex TH900mk2 has, but Nio did not deliver.
Even though it brings a lot of bass and solid...good bass... it does not have an impact (based) as Fostex.

If you are looking for something like that...I am unsure if Volur has it, unless Volur has something bigger in its sleeve than Nio has...

I'd be interested, too...but the graph shows bass response even weaker than Nio's.

Cheers!

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #82,007 of 88,277
Not sure if it’s just me, but does anyone else have issues with how “curved” the shrink wrap is on cables nowadays? I always have to go at it with a hair dryer. The cable just digs into my ear if I don’t.

I mean, look at this, there’s barely any gap in it’s natural state:
Yeah, I'm with you. How small do they think are ears are?? 😵‍💫😵‍💫 I get so many cables digging into my ears that it's ridiculous. :thumbsdown::tired_face:

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #82,008 of 88,277
Not sure if it’s just me, but does anyone else have issues with how “curved” the shrink wrap is on cables nowadays? I always have to go at it with a hair dryer. The cable just digs into my ear if I don’t.

I mean, look at this, there’s barely any gap in it’s natural state:
Everyone's ears are shaped differently. These extreme "curved" shrink wraps fit my ears better than previously. Previously I would have to go at it with a hair dryer.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #82,010 of 88,277
As I imagined, thanks for elucidating. I've listened to some affordable and some crazily expensive systems at a local hifi show and honestly, the cheaper ones impressed me just as much. Now, of course, if I had the time and peace and quiet to really delve deeper into critical listening, expensive stuff would probably be way ahead. Being able to spend 5- let alone 6-digit sums on audio is most likely not going to happen for the majority, but it didn't feel demoralising in the slightest, instead this show motivated me to some day get a decent affordable system set up.
Yes same for me, the sound difference at the price levels is not dissimilar to the differences at the IEM levels. And just like IEMs price is not directly related to how good or great a system will sound to me. I can tell you this it is more than speakers and amps that matter it is also space and room.

It is possible to size a system that will come close at different level budgets for a modest room, when the space is larger cost goes up and options narrow.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #82,012 of 88,277
Feb 23, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #82,013 of 88,277
Craft Ears Aurum with Nostalgia Audio Camelot stock cable… I prefer the aesthetics vs Aurum stock cable.

I found these a touch bright at first but as I spent more time I became more accustomed and actually a very captivating tuning, really love the treble - crisp and ethereal.

Further impressions to follow!

IMG_1521.jpeg
How is going with aurum?
I'm always tempted by Argentum that has a lot in common with Anole V6 FR

1708695457612.png

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #82,014 of 88,277
Looking at 3 options for a new toy for my collection. Which of these do the great and good of the watercooler tribe think would be my best purchase?

1. ibasso DC elite

2. Luxury and Precision W4

And the wild card in the options
3.Sony ZX707(Japanese edition)
Get the L&P W4. Not the L & P W4 EX. I HAVE THE I Fi, , Ru 6 and other good dongles but my W4 is much better.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #82,015 of 88,277
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #82,017 of 88,277
Looks like I’m returning to Singapore again this year. This time I’ll arrive on Friday for pre game. Who else is going watercooler wise?
The best coolers will be there of course :wink: hahahaha just kidding!
Bro you're so tall, I saw you last time but was afraid to say hi, please do join us this time! :grin:

Okay, from what I've gathered, there will only be a few of us there:
@HiFiHawaii808
@metaljem77
@yaps66
@Deezel177
@RonaldS86
@lycos
@Yifang
and myself
Looking forward to exchange of gears, listening sessions, good food, laughter and a great time! :beerchug:

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #82,018 of 88,277
That's someone's monthly paycheck. Getting disoriented in the numbers game is way too easy once you're out of the mud. But I do understand your sentiment in the grand scheme of this hobby.
I think it’s more a difference in where you are and salary, even here in the USA. $325 is dinner for some while $325 is a meaningful amount of money to others. And even more so in some other countries.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #82,020 of 88,277
Hi fellas, apologies if my question is a bit redundant.. I have not been up to date with the most recent TOTL IEMs.. my last TOTL purchase was around 3 years ago..

I would like to know where the 64Audio Volur stands relative to the other recent TOTL iems? I don't find it being mentioned often despite being 64Audio's most recent flagship (?)

Thinking of upgrading to the Volur from the U12t, while looking for some extra warmth, bass impact, and musicality at the same time..

Cheers and plenty of thanks!
Volur is a super "safe" yet fun IEM worth buying blind. Very pleasant sounding and an improvement from the U12T in my book. Blind buying "Avant-garde" stuff without auditioning first should be avoided IMO unless you are a collector of some sort or want the best performance from a certain genre.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back