The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 22, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #81,992 of 88,367
My favorite so far design wise.

I avoided this set for many months because I thought they would hurt my ears with the sharp edges but that is not the case. Such a bold statement. Taste is a very personal thing, and there are so many pretty sets, many follow a fairly standard design, where the faceplate is the differentiator, these beauties are a bottom up statement and to me the most interesting I have encountered thus far.

IMG_1524.jpeg
Please, please bring to CanJam NYC, you're the only person I know that has this! I'll bring my Balmung so they can hang out!

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #81,993 of 88,367
It's only $325.
Yeah well I just got done spending $325 twice for Vari and UP along with $200 for Pula + $75 for a ifi blu, that doesn't even count the tips I ended up buying. I'm a bit tapped out right now lol

any other day it would've been not too bad though

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #81,994 of 88,367
Yeah well I just got done spending $325 twice for Vari and UP along with $200 for Pula + $75 for a ifi blu, that doesn't even count the tips I ended up buying. I'm a bit tapped out right now lol

any other day it would've been not too bad though
To be fair it’s not readily available at the moment. You have time to save.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #81,995 of 88,367
I see King Rudi in there :D But where is Daniel? (@Deezel177 )
I’d just been to BTM the weekend before, so I wasn’t visiting that day. We’ll all be seeing each other at CanJam SG. 😁

Looks like I’m returning to Singapore again this year. This time I’ll arrive on Friday for pre game. Who else is going watercooler wise?
Me! I’ll be there on the Wednesday. ‘Super excited!

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #81,996 of 88,367
Hi fellas, apologies if my question is a bit redundant.. I have not been up to date with the most recent TOTL IEMs.. my last TOTL purchase was around 3 years ago..

I would like to know where the 64Audio Volur stands relative to the other recent TOTL iems? I don't find it being mentioned often despite being 64Audio's most recent flagship (?)

Thinking of upgrading to the Volur from the U12t, while looking for some extra warmth, bass impact, and musicality at the same time..

Cheers and plenty of thanks!

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #81,997 of 88,367
Yes, the portable use case.

IEMs can deliver, not in the same way in a different way. More intimate, the fact you are putting drivers in your ears sets up a purpose of listening and paying attention to the music.

In the real world for most including me (most of my life), there could be noise and/or other people around that may not want to hear music, so the isolation of IEMs becomes an excellent solution for still enjoying music.

I have a situation now which took a lifetime to achieve where I can use speakers all day and bother no one. The building is full of sound both floors controllable from my phone, my hands head body are all free from any hardware.

As for the sound difference with the speaker’s;
there is more bass and that is felt over the entire body, coming from the walls floor and furniture, the mids and the high notes have plenty of detail, and the experience is similar to IEMs at these frequencies. The space/stage however is not comparable to me, the ability for the speaker system upstairs to create a live space is something IEMs only hint at.
As I imagined, thanks for elucidating. I've listened to some affordable and some crazily expensive systems at a local hifi show and honestly, the cheaper ones impressed me just as much. Now, of course, if I had the time and peace and quiet to really delve deeper into critical listening, expensive stuff would probably be way ahead. Being able to spend 5- let alone 6-digit sums on audio is most likely not going to happen for the majority, but it didn't feel demoralising in the slightest, instead this show motivated me to some day get a decent affordable system set up.

It's only $325.
That's someone's monthly paycheck. Getting disoriented in the numbers game is way too easy once you're out of the mud. But I do understand your sentiment in the grand scheme of this hobby.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #81,998 of 88,367
looking for some extra warmth, bass impact, and musicality at the same time..
Volur should give you pretty much exactly that vs the U12t, so if you're happy with all things 64Audio, then it's a very logical move to make.

If you want something more radical while still staying in the family so to speak, then you should probably consider Fir Rn6 and Xe6.

Between those 3, there is no 'bad' choice, just different versions of awesome/amazing, so if there's any way you can get to hear them, that'd be the best way to make a decision.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #81,999 of 88,367
I will write down a very detailed post about the whole journey soon when I get more pictures, but let me just say, the Sennheiser trip to Tullamore and all the people there were awesome!
IMG-20240222-WA0017.jpg
I arrived back in Germany today, immediately followed by celebrating my birthday in the local Jazz Club at the Open Session, which was a lot of fun, more people came than I expected and now I am BEAT. What a dense couple of days! I will look back to these fond memories for a long time.
IMG-20240222-WA0011.jpg
PS.: An HD 540 Gold Edition and a brand new HD 600 are on their way to my door...
Congrats Jonathan - on both journeys :wink:

drftr

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #82,001 of 88,367
Finally had the time to get up one of the longer summit trails accompanied (appropriately enough) by the Apx. Funny thing is the set really shines with country music - best I’ve heard on an IEM. Even better than Red Halo which is funny when you think of it as vocal-centric but the little details (like the drip drip sound on The Gambler for example) really pop and make the songs take on a new dimension. Even when I’m on the hill and using Bluetooth (BTR7) - it almost seems like it upscales it so it sounds like other IEMs coming from a proper DAP!

Some trails are like really well manicured with volunteer crews keeping them pristine. Then there are the nutjob ones you have to bushwhack through and climb ropes making me feel like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon (“I’m getting too old for this $#@&!”)

IMG_0601-compressed.jpegIMG_0602-compressed.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #82,002 of 88,367
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #82,003 of 88,367
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #82,004 of 88,367
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #82,005 of 88,367
Not sure if it’s just me, but does anyone else have issues with how “curved” the shrink wrap is on cables nowadays? I always have to go at it with a hair dryer. The cable just digs into my ear if I don’t.

I mean, look at this, there’s barely any gap in it’s natural state:

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpeg
    IMG_1290.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back