The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 8, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #80,986 of 88,257
For "fun" I am looking for something non-neutral. Something that is able to do rock,R&B, hip hop, edm, etc. I do not have a price cap. I guess nothing more than 4k, if that is really a price cap. Just looking for a new iem ideas. Open to pretty much anything from any manufacturer.
For fun I’ve been enjoying the Noble KK (with the right power and tip dependent for me though) it’s a good change up from the Kr5.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #80,987 of 88,257
I have an interesting story which illustrates in part why Head-Fi has become my favorite "social media" platform with some of the best folks worldwide. Some of you may remember some of this as I've posted about it before.

I have had a Sony IER-Z1R for about 1 1/2 years which I bought here on classifieds. During an unfortunate cable rolling session, both mmcx connectors completely dislodged from the shells. I first contacted Sony, but without warranty, they would not repair. And for whatever reason, I simply could not find anyone to repair/replace the connectors in the USA. I ended up sending them to an electronics shop in the UK which replaced the connectors with new, generic ones. This worked for about 3 weeks, until changing cables again (you'd think I would learn by now), the left connector again completely dislodged! I was not going to deal with the entire UK situation again as that was more painful and difficult than it should have been. I again called every electronics store in Los Angeles, but no one would even touch it. So for several months, Z1R was totally out of commission and its future with me was looking bleak.

Fast forward to my finding a thread here for DIY'ers who are an adventurous, curious and interesting bunch! I posted in their thread a pic of my poor Z1R:
1000001793.jpg

Surprisingly, but not surprisingly, one particularly technically-adept head-fier in that thread reached out to me and offered to try and fix the Z1R. Having zero to lose and everything to gain, I quickly packaged up the set and sent it off, this time to New Jersey. As luck would have it, for this guy, the job was actually pretty easy! And in true, generous Head Fi fashion, he would not accept any payment from a fellow audiophile, he was just happy he could help!!!

And now, it's got a new cable on it (and there will be no more cable rolling!) and working perfectly! I had actually written these off as they sat broken for months. If not for Head Fi, they still would be.

So finally, thank you to the very awesome, modest and talented @lampee who gave me back my Z1R! Here's pic of them from @Rockwell75 who is now testing them (but not rolling cables!).
1000005936.jpg
Great story!

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #80,988 of 88,257
For fun!!? Crazy, but it's one of my least expensive, chifi at its finest! Penon Quattro, EA Code 24, Shanling M9 plus...giving me a great new approach to TGIF!
1000005952.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #80,989 of 88,257
For "fun" I am looking for something non-neutral. Something that is able to do rock,R&B, hip hop, edm, etc. I do not have a price cap. I guess nothing more than 4k, if that is really a price cap. Just looking for a new iem ideas. Open to pretty much anything from any manufacturer.
I've been having lots of fun with my 634ears MIROAK-II Japan Limited set. They're fantastic.
IMG_7413.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #80,990 of 88,257
Don't forget the set built from Gourd, maybe not as fun sounding but definitely attention whore like fun if wearing them outside.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #80,991 of 88,257
A couple of non-neutral fun IEMs in my mind that may suit your genre:

- Simphonio P Zero, great planar IEM but need some power to properly drive that, great mid/ bass presentation and a bit v shaped.
- Noble MuZiGe, darkish tone with great punch of bass and full bodied vocal
- FF Grand Maestro, great V shaped tuning, black Noah module is my fav EDM go to set.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #80,992 of 88,257
I have an interesting story which illustrates in part why Head-Fi has become my favorite "social media" platform with some of the best folks worldwide. Some of you may remember some of this as I've posted about it before.

I have had a Sony IER-Z1R for about 1 1/2 years which I bought here on classifieds. During an unfortunate cable rolling session, both mmcx connectors completely dislodged from the shells. I first contacted Sony, but without warranty, they would not repair. And for whatever reason, I simply could not find anyone to repair/replace the connectors in the USA. I ended up sending them to an electronics shop in the UK which replaced the connectors with new, generic ones. This worked for about 3 weeks, until changing cables again (you'd think I would learn by now), the left connector again completely dislodged! I was not going to deal with the entire UK situation again as that was more painful and difficult than it should have been. I again called every electronics store in Los Angeles, but no one would even touch it. So for several months, Z1R was totally out of commission and its future with me was looking bleak.

Fast forward to my finding a thread here for DIY'ers who are an adventurous, curious and interesting bunch! I posted in their thread a pic of my poor Z1R:
1000001793.jpg

Surprisingly, but not surprisingly, one particularly technically-adept head-fier in that thread reached out to me and offered to try and fix the Z1R. Having zero to lose and everything to gain, I quickly packaged up the set and sent it off, this time to New Jersey. As luck would have it, for this guy, the job was actually pretty easy! And in true, generous Head Fi fashion, he would not accept any payment from a fellow audiophile, he was just happy he could help!!!

And now, it's got a new cable on it (and there will be no more cable rolling!) and working perfectly! I had actually written these off as they sat broken for months. If not for Head Fi, they still would be.

So finally, thank you to the very awesome, modest and talented @lampee who gave me back my Z1R! Here's pic of them from @Rockwell75 who is now testing them (but not rolling cables!).
1000005936.jpg
In my 3-year ownership of it, I was scared to do cable rolling. Once, I tried Dunu Blanche and tried to remove it after a while, I had to use lot of force, port removal tools and all. Ultimately it came out trouble free, but all this hassles for the simple experience of removing a cable gave me a minor attack. 😁. It went back to stock.

2-pin would have been a better option I suppose.

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #80,993 of 88,257
You do scare the shxx out of me since I am about to cable rolling on my Z1R. BTW, one guy from Z1R thread claimed that all MMCX terminations are trash, comparing to 2pin. However, I had bad experience with 2pin before I have IEMs with MMCX, I guess it is just bad luck.
IERZ1R’s mmcx port issues such as this are pretty common in its initial batches. Sometimes plugging out a cable feels like plugging out the whole port out 😁

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #80,994 of 88,257
RN6 & XE6

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #80,995 of 88,257
Is that a 394ii beside the 465? Did you have a listen Nate?

Hey Doug! It's nice to see your name pop up on the WC. Hope you've been well.

IMG_2016.jpeg

I looked through my CJ pictures and pulled up a different picture. I believe it was a 394 but I didn't try I was occupied with the Rivera and 465 at the time. This was recommended to me by @goldwerger. Rolling amps with headphones seems like a different ballgame.

Screenshot_20240208-200007_Gallery.jpg

Tungsten double sided on the A1C was 🤤. Compared to Susvara, the tuning was less mid oriented with more of a V shape. The bass texture was visceral. Ribbed while being refined. It was as detailed as Storm but with headphone staging. If I ever got into headphones in the future I'd revisit this.

FiR Xe6 CIEM Just arrived a few days ago.

Here are some glamour shots of my design choice!

Congrats once again Jeremy ✨️! I have been having re-occuring thoughts about going ciem with mine as well. My Supermoon and Impact ciems were sub optimal so I am wondering if that was on the manufacturers end or my STLs. Waiting till my 622B ciem arrives to decide.

In other news: Rolled my XE6 to the red module tonight. @Bosk
IMG_2018.jpeg

Pairing well with the MK 475 which adds bass quantity. This seems to open up XE6. Hearing more sub rumble. Red seems to reduce the mid bass and give a perceived air and sparkle lift. This tweak still keeps XE6' refined treble characteristic (and not to RN6s levels). Enjoying the extra bite for electronic.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #80,996 of 88,257
In case you fine with cheaper alternatives, consider this uniquely fun item.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #80,997 of 88,257
Xe6, EE Raven, Maestro SE, Fei Wan
Depending on your source, I would go with FeiWan or Annihilator 2023.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #80,998 of 88,257
Hey Doug! It's nice to see your name pop up on the WC. Hope you've been well.

IMG_2016.jpeg

I looked through my CJ pictures and pulled up a different picture. I believe it was a 394 but I didn't try I was occupied with the Rivera and 465 at the time. This was recommended to me by @goldwerger. Rolling amps with headphones seems like a different ballgame.

Tungsten double sided on the A1C was 🤤. Compared to Susvara, the tuning was less mid oriented with more of a V shape. The bass texture was visceral. Ribbed while being refined. It was as detailed as Storm but with headphone staging. If I ever got into headphones in the future I'd revisit this.

Congrats once again Jeremy ✨️! I have been having re-occuring thoughts about going ciem with mine as well. My Supermoon and Impact ciems were sub optimal so I am wondering if that was on the manufacturers end or my STLs. Waiting till my 622B ciem arrives to decide.

In other news: Rolled my XE6 to the red module tonight. @Bosk
IMG_2018.jpeg

Pairing well with the MK 475 which adds bass quantity. This seems to open up XE6. Hearing more sub rumble. Red seems to reduce the mid bass and give a perceived air and sparkle lift. This tweak still keeps XE6' refined treble characteristic (and not to RN6s levels). Enjoying the extra bite for electronic.
That's how I roll with Xe6, the red atom makes it my absolute favorite.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #80,999 of 88,257

That was the nail in the coffin.. I ended up getting an AIC, and enjoying both the Tungsten and Susvara with it very much.. the AIC10/Susvara is a truly magnificent combo (listening to as I type:wink:). Matching amps and headphones is bliss :ksc75smile:

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #81,000 of 88,257
Based on QC, I very much would keep the Lotoo than RS8.
Early release of RS8 is one ticking time bomb!
Frankly, I've never seen such a flagship release with so many faults.
From some folks, yes. But imagine all the silent folks like myself who have enjoyed sublime music from an early RS8 without a hitch. Just don't forget people only usually speak up when there is a problem... Just wanted to put that out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back