The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #80,087 of 90,123
  1. Why are you be pissed? you didn't buy Amber Pearl.
  2. Buying the next release is always optional.
  3. Where's the proof they're holding back tech? (FYI innovation is a continuous process in life)
  4. If you're this upset, then you're (over) spending in the wrong price category.
  5. These are indeed modest price increases for the targeted audience.
  6. You never stated your principles to begin with, but I'd say enjoy what you have and be content.
  7. As long as there's demand, new products will be churned out quickly.
You contradict yourself when you say

But you say Mentor is your favorite of all your top IEMs.

Just enjoy the Music. Don't buy everything. Only what suits your needs.
I completely agree. I think there is no need to get personally involved with an IEM manufacturer to a level where feeling are being hurt and there is a collective call to boycott the brand.

These people have been around and they know what they are doing. At the end of the day, they have much more to lose as compared to a person who owns, let's say an Amber Pearl or Mentor.

I purchased Kinera Nanna Z Tune last year and that IEM was trouble from the get go. After a few months, the left faceplate fell off and I was disgusted to see the internals. I took a leap of faith and sent it back to them.

I had to wait for 5 months as I was not willing to accept a Nanna Z Tune as replacement. The company was kind enough to let me top up to Verdandi with a moderate additional cost.

Verdandi has turned out to be a stunning IEM. My thoughts on Kinera went from negative to postive, quoting Notorious B.I.G.

Companies experiment and adjust according to the market. PMG just introduced a ā‚¬6,000 IEM. We can either study the technology and audition such IEMs or be critical without even listening to them and act like a clown šŸ¤” šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #80,088 of 90,123
I am still trying to figure out what's the real appeal of Quattro, in the beginning I thought it is the timbre. But again, when I did any critical analysis, it was hard for me to find anything that Quattro excels, so I am really wondering what is so mesmerizing about Quattro.
It is simply a fun IEM. That is my conclusion. I am sure Penon would say the same thing.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #80,089 of 90,123
I have 9 IEMs and I like them all quite a bit but the Prototype 3 is nothing like any of them.

It is like monster truck hitting your ears. The resonance from brass chamber is to die for.

I don't mind a bit of inconvenience for that kind of experience.
Are you talking about 634ears Loak prototype 3? I also ordered one.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #80,090 of 90,123
Thanks, @aaf evo I think you diffused the new UM thread. Turns out new flagship is 500 more than it's predecessor (Mason Le Jardin), so other than being plain expensive, the pricing should come as a shock to no one. It certainly won't shock the actual Mason buyers.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #80,091 of 90,123
Are you talking about 634ears Loak prototype 3? I also ordered one.
Yes Sir. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Give them sometime to grow on you.

I have been trying to find a good cable for it but am not sure as of now. If you are able to find a cable that pairs well with it, kindly share the information.

Enjoy šŸ˜Š

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #80,092 of 90,123
Yes Sir. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Give them sometime to grow on you.

I have been trying to find a good cable for it but am not sure as of now. If you are able to find a cable that pairs well with it, kindly share the information.

Enjoy šŸ˜Š

I was still waffling on the MIROAK-II. I don't think the fit would be terrible, but I might be better off trying out the Project M or going after something else completely. I'm just fairly sure I'd regret any of the larger LOAK models given the shell size and shape. All I know is the stainless steel shell of the TS-316 is kinda giving me problems. Great sound though, and I'd only maybe want a little more bass or perhaps a hair more towards a V shape.

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #80,093 of 90,123
Thanks, @aaf evo I think you diffused the new UM thread. Turns out new flagship is 500 more than it's predecessor (Mason Le Jardin), so other than being plain expensive, the pricing should come as a shock to no one. It certainly won't shock the actual Mason buyers.

Just trying to be a voice of reason. I do not understand why it has caused such a ruckus when itā€™s following up its predecessor which was already $7999 to begin with. I have no skin in the game to care to be honest. Iā€™m not particularly fond of the Mason sound as Iā€™m much more into the Mentor/MEST tonalities (I still want to hear it though) but I think a lot of people are under the assumption this is a tweak to the Amber Pearl (which has basically been established to be a refined Mentor) and that is a different sound to Mason.

Thereā€™s a lot of emotion involved in this hobby so I understand it to an extent. Iā€™ve been there.

BTW, Shanling just released a $17,000 CD player. šŸ˜ƒ

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #80,094 of 90,123
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #80,095 of 90,123
I do not understand why it has caused such a ruckus when itā€™s following up its predecessor which was already $7999 to begin with.

That type of outrage behavior is standard issue for some of the more........reddity/tiktoky types. If something is outside of their price range or comfort zone, it must be some sort of great injustice to be rallied against. I think it has a harder time gaining traction here due to a dearth of 15 year olds - and instead of the audiophiles rising up and overthrowing the bourgeoisie, it mostly just leaves everybody feeling confused.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #80,096 of 90,123
Just trying to be a voice of reason. I do not understand why it has caused such a ruckus when itā€™s following up its predecessor which was already $7999 to begin with. I have no skin in the game to care to be honest. Iā€™m not particularly fond of the Mason sound as Iā€™m much more into the Mentor/MEST tonalities (I still want to hear it though) but I think a lot of people are under the assumption this is a tweak to the Amber Pearl (which has basically been established to be a refined Mentor) and that is a different sound to Mason.

Thereā€™s a lot of emotion involved in this hobby so I understand it to an extent. Iā€™ve been there.

BTW, Shanling just released a $17,000 CD player. šŸ˜ƒ
Actually from my ears, Mason is closer to Mentor than MEST. Talking about MEST, I can't help laughing since HBB was ranting in his recent video bashing UM, HBB kept saying this: " You cannot say the word MEST without mentioning me". So HBB believed that he single-handily brought MEST Mk2 to fame. Now he is no longer able to get freebie from UM, what a shame.

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #80,097 of 90,123
I do not understand why it has caused such a ruckus when itā€™s following up its predecessor which was already $7999 to begin with.
Quite simply because it was not clear that the new "Mason FS" is the successor to "Le Jardin" (7999 USD) and not to "Mason FS" (note: exactly the same name, 5999 USD). After all, UM itself has caused such confusion with such names.

That being said, I still think I would have liked Amber Pearl to have implemented the new technologies that the new Mason FS will have if I had bought it. Whether that is ultimately better or worse will have to be seen. Still...

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #80,098 of 90,123
That type of outrage behavior is standard issue for some of the more........reddity/tiktoky types. If something is outside of their price range or comfort zone, it must be some sort of great injustice to be rallied against. I think it has a harder time gaining traction here due to a dearth of 15 year olds - and instead of the audiophiles rising up and overthrowing the bourgeoisie, it mostly just leaves everybody feeling confused.

Iā€™m not against the complaints at all FWIW, I think the way UM have handled the Mason line up over the previous years in terms of pricing and release frequency (although they did slow down a bit since itā€™s been 2 years from LJ) has been nothing short of ridiculous and Iā€™ve voiced my opinions on this a few years back. I am far more surprised that itā€™s still... surprising to the audiophiles in the hobby.

Quite simply because it was not clear that the new "Mason FS" is the successor to "Le Jardin" (7999 USD) and not to "Mason FS" (note: exactly the same name, 5999 USD). After all, UM itself has caused such confusion with such names.

Yeah this is very valid and I think was the root cause for the confusion and palava that took place. At the end of the day they sort of ā€œapologizedā€ and tried to clear things up with the graphic posted in the announcement thread but I think the damage was done.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #80,099 of 90,123
I was still waffling on the MIROAK-II. I don't think the fit would be terrible, but I might be better off trying out the Project M or going after something else completely. I'm just fairly sure I'd regret any of the larger LOAK models given the shell size and shape. All I know is the stainless steel shell of the TS-316 is kinda giving me problems. Great sound though, and I'd only maybe want a little more bass or perhaps a hair more towards a V shape.
If Timsok - 316 is giving you problems, don't even think about Loak Prototype 3. These are heavy and big.

I don't know about other Loak 2 models as I haven't tried them.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #80,100 of 90,123
Just saw the frontpage iBasso's announcement, 40% off PB5 for 220max and 320max owners. That's the right direction for companies to increase the value for their customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back