The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #79,501 of 88,326
Funnily enough, I've been trying to buy a pair of Subtonic Storm since the first week of January. I had a couple of folks reach out asking if I'd pay $10k for them. Yeesh! I'm willing to pay a decent "finder's fee" beyond retail cost, but double the price? Seems a bit silly. :upside_down:
Punters! Sheeshhh! Don't feed them!

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #79,503 of 88,326

getting organized with the gear I want to demo this year. What under 2k MUST be in this list that I am missing?

Dunu Mirai
Kinera Verdandi
(could be a mini-Loki but impressions are still not out)
7th Acoustic Supernova (loved by everyone who has tried it)
SoundRhyme SR8 and DTE900 (especially to figure out the price-to-performance ratio on these)
Nightjar Crimson (very well-tuned, unbelievable for a 4BA driver set)
Canpur CP54E (at 2000 USD, one of the friends here says they are TOTL-level iems)

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #79,505 of 88,326
Also wanted to add, I just see occasional mentions of the Vision Ears VEX on here. It seems to be another contender for a musical engaging sound, good bass, but with also good technicalities in the upper ranges. But it's not often mentioned along the likes of RN6 or Anni, any reason?
It’s because they’re still relatively new. Dealers have only had demos for a couple weeks, and they’ve only gotten stock this week. Rn6 and Anni have been available for almost a year, so almost everyone here’s probably heard it.

By most accounts of those who’ve heard it, the VE X is one of the best (if not the best) warm-tilted IEMs on the market right now. I’m itching for the custom version, myself.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #79,507 of 88,326
Monchaa. I didn’t care much for Trailii but I highly recommend Monchaa
I’m aligned with you. I think it’s underrated, need some time for the DDs to burn in (if there is such a thing).

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #79,508 of 88,326
It’s because they’re still relatively new. Dealers have only had demos for a couple weeks, and they’ve only gotten stock this week. Rn6 and Anni have been available for almost a year, so almost everyone here’s probably heard it.

By most accounts of those who’ve heard it, the VE X is one of the best (if not the best) warm-tilted IEMs on the market right now. I’m itching for the custom version, myself.

I'm glad I asked because I had no idea, and it all makes sense now. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #79,509 of 88,326
Funnily enough, I've been trying to buy a pair of Subtonic Storm since the first week of January. I had a couple of folks reach out asking if I'd pay $10k for them. Yeesh! I'm willing to pay a decent "finder's fee" beyond retail cost, but double the price? Seems a bit silly. :upside_down:
Either they’re scammers or scalpers. Either way they’re getting burned by this time next year thanks to production picking up.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #79,510 of 88,326
Landed… 1TB of music loading - then the decision is what IEM to try first!

IMG_0859.jpeg

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #79,511 of 88,326
Dunu Mirai
Kinera Verdandi
SoundRhyme SR8 and DTE900 (especially to figure out the price-to-performance ratio on these)
Canpur CP54E (at 2000 USD, one of the friends here says they are TOTL-level iems)
Very nice list thank you. I need to add the Supernova for sure, hope they can pick up production soon but I’m not in the market yet so they have time :)
Monchaa. I didn’t care much for Trailii but I highly recommend Monchaa
I just got my Sza and I am now making a point to try every Oriolus release. probably one of my favorite headphones, ever. Def excited to listen to Monachaa

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #79,512 of 88,326
Dunu Mirai
Kinera Verdandi

I’ll have a demo Verdandi by early next week. I’ve heard that it’s a smoother, warmer signature compared to Loki. Looking forward to hearing for myself!

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #79,513 of 88,326
I think MMCX are a lot less prone to breaking the housing connector (not the connector in the cable) than 2-pin. So far, I rarely see Campfire IEM having broken MMCX connectors
MMCX is the most unreliable system for IEMs there is. The situation like with @emdeevee is one in a few thousands, I've seen connector pushed into the IEM maybe once before. It's just bad luck :frowning2:

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #79,514 of 88,326
Landed… 1TB of music loading - then the decision is what IEM to try first!

Given what I have learned of your tastes over the course over the years, you will no doubt fall in love. Don't forget to play around with the filters too (and get the Joe Bloggs filters available on the dedicated RS8 thread), along with the MSEB settings and the plug-ins. Really a lot of fun to tailor the sound to your needs. Congrats!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #79,515 of 88,326

Karoline Polachek makes good music and perfomes incredible live. Maybe pop music can be saved after all :wink:

I never listened to any of her content post Chairlift. I will have to give it a listen in the near future. She was great live with Charlift when I saw the in 2012 (if I recall) at the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back